iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry degree start?

Started by strunk57, December 09, 2013, 08:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

Hello all, I am seriously looking into getting a degree in forestry, Last year i bought a smmall band mill with the intention of making a few extra dollars on the side. After a year of researching and learning more about timber/Land management i woiuld love to do this as a career. I love getting out in the woods, sawing lumber, salvaging dead/dying trees into something useful. I am by far a tree hugger but also hate to see a useful tree waste. I live in southeastern KY, I think there would be a lot of good career options here.

A little background, I am 29 yrs old and have 4 kids 5,3,2,1 week. not married but been with the same girl for 6 years. I currently travel building greenhouses for a living and would like to do something at home to spend more time with my family.

I have plenty time at night to take online classes in the motel, I was hopeing someone could steer me in the right direction to get a start.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

jfogarty

I guess I'll try to take a stab at this...

Most foresters have a two or four year degree from a college or university. I just looked around for an online forestry degree and really didn't find much, nothing that looked like what you have described as wanting to do. I think that what you will find is that you will have to stop what you are doing for work and go back to school - either part-time or full-time for anywhere from a year and a half for an associates degree to upwards of four years for a bachelor's degree. It's difficult, but certainly not impossible - I did it, and I'm sure many others here did it as well. Having a family can make it harder, but still possible.

The problem with having an "online" forestry degree is that most things taught in forestry classes are done in a "hands-on" setting, out in the woods with the professor - something not easily done through distance learning programs such as those found in other majors / careers (marketing or mathematics, for example). Most forestry classes have a required "lab" portion of the class, typically taking place in the forest, which reinforces or complements the lecture part of the class.

The University of Kentucky looks like they have a strong forestry program:http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestry/. I don't know how far that is from you. You can also try here: http://www.eforester.org/fs/careers.cfm for the Society of American Foresters Forestry Careers page. I'm not advocating or endorsing them, just somewhere for you to start, and they have some literature on various forestry programs - there are others than the ones listed there, though. Try Google for "forestry degree" or "forestry program".

Seriously look at getting financial aid - you're probably not going to be working or working significantly less than you do now (although you'll be working much more, just on school). See about getting a "work-study" job with the forestry department.

Go and talk to (several) professional foresters or arborists. See if they will let you tag along for a few days, to see what their job entails, and even see if this career path is right for you.

Go to the Univ. of Kentucky (or other school) and talk to the professors, see the classroom(s) - see if you can sit in on a class or two when you visit - the worst thing they could say is "no", and I doubt they will - they all want students! E-mail the head of the department beforehand and they'll probably schedule a whole day for you.

Good luck to you - I really mean it. I changed my career path to forestry when I was your age and I have never been happier. Let us know what you find and how it turns out!

John
John M. Fogarty, LPF, CF
Fogarty Forestry, LLC

strunk57

John, thanks alot. I will definitely look into the programs at UK, just 45 mins from me. Maybe they can direct me to what pre classes i can take online to get a head start, or maybe get to where i only have to go to 1 or 2 classes a week so i can still work. But i will look farther into it and let you know what turns up.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Clark

I have a four year degree in forestry but I got that right out of high school. If you were a senior in high school I would recommend the same thing but you're not at all (take that as a compliment!) Considering that you've got kids, bills and obligations to meet getting a four year degree would be tough. You also seem like a go-getter who's happy to make a living by his own terms.

Considering those things I would recommend a two-year forestry degree. It will give you the nuts and bolts of forestry and while it will lack some of the botany and math that a four-year degree has, it likely won't hinder your aspirations.

The forestry concepts you learn from either a two or four-year program are the same and having those concepts in place and seeing them play out in your part of the world will help you become a forester. You will likely form a business idea around these concepts and ultimately it can support you and your family. Now, if you want to be employed by an agency then throw this advice out the window and get the four-year.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Woodboogah

Taking an online forestry class would not be as beneficial as attending.  It is a lot of hands on stuff.  You might be hard pressed to find an online program dedicated to forestry.  As I was graduating University of NH they were starting to implement some online forestry classes there were held over winter break.  These were more of an elective for people in other degree programs but online forestry classes nontheless.  I believe the one that had the greatest sign up was forest ecology.  I may be wrong though.  I would highly recommend attending the classes even if on a part time basis.  You will make great contacts.  I went back to school when I was 26 and I wouldnt change a thing.  It was definitely hard to adjust and a lot of changes had to be made.  It was well worth it though.  Good luck!   
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Wudman

If you are interested in a four year program, I would get all of the basic requirements through the community college program (math, biology, chemistry, English, etc).  You could take those classes at your pace.  You may have a community college in your area that offers a 2 year technical degree as well.  I know Dabney Lancaster Community College in Virginia and Haywood Community College in North Carolina offer such programs.  Tennessee and Virginia Tech both have well respected forestry programs.  WVU has a forestry school as well. 

There is significant scholarship money out there if you can consider going to school full time.  Our local Ruritan Club actually has a hard time finding qualified students to take available money.  Eastern Kentucky may have some tobacco settlement money available to help you.  Do some digging and you would be surprised at the folks that are trying to award scholarships (here......Garden Club, Farm Credit, Local Electric Coop, etc). 

I've been in the business for 25 years.  I make a decent living by area standards, and I don't mind going to work in the morning.  The only time I have to fight traffic is going by the high school in the morning and stopping for the train about once a week.  ;)

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

hookdrvr

Thanks for asking that question and all the answers. I'm looking at going for my second degree after retiring from the army. This is some good info.
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

SliverPicker

I would strongly suggest approaching any return to school as you would any business start-up.  Be absolutely certain that whatever debt you incur during your schooling is serviceable by what ever income you can realistically expect upon graduation.  Student loan debt is the only category of debt that in most cases can't be discharged through bankruptcy.  Don't take you college's word for data on employment after graduation.

Do a business plan for your college years that continues after college as well.  Put numbers on paper.  There are usually people available free of charge through community colleges etc. that can help you do a business plan if you are not familiar with the procedure.

In the depths of my job search after graduation (in 1996) I found myself applying for a temporary job (6 months in duration), with no benefits and no possibility of becoming permanent with the State of Colorado.  The job paid $7.55 (this is roughly $11.24 in 2012 dollars) per hour and required a B.S. in forestry.  I was positive I would be the only applicant for that job given the pay etc. and the requirement of a Bachelor's degree.  When the deadline came and went and I did not receive a job offer I called the h.r. department and asked them how it was that I wasn't hired.  I said, "How many applications could have possibly have had for that job?"  "55." was the reply.

Please do a business plan.  You will thank you self when you look at the reality on paper.
Yooper by trade.

Aggie_Forester

Texas A&M University's Forestry School is paying for my schooling and has a good deal of scholarships that they hand out each year. However, I realize that it maybe quite far for you.

thecfarm

Aggie_Forester,welcome to the forum. Your user name? You a Forester?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!