iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleeping with saws.

Started by luvmexfood, September 06, 2018, 07:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

While out doing some work for the company I sometimes do work for was staying at a motel in Winchester KY. They give discounts through a company called CLC so a lot of workers stay with them. A crew came in from doing something and carried two Stihl pole saws into the motel. Right into there room. Guess they wanted to make sure they were safe. 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mike_belben

When section 8 housing is unavailable, it is not uncommon for districts to put voucher holders up at the local hotel semi long term.  Mixed into that crowd is tylically some drug addiction and subsequent thieving. the layout of hotel, especially U shaped, makes it very easy for one to watch your room and your truck from behind a curtain while the other raids whatever is in the bed.  Its pretty common. 
Praise The Lord

Magicman

My normal is to never leave any of my tools, etc. at a job site overnight.  There have been occasions when I would be staying at a motel that I have talked with the customer and stashed them on location rather then leaving them in the back of the truck which would be parked in a motel parking lot. 

I also had "JIMMI' JAMMER"s installed in my truck doors.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

You need a sticker that says "secured by a light sleeper with a heavy pistol"
Praise The Lord

JV

Several years ago, I attended a conference in a hotel in a large city.  The morning we were due to leave, one of the guests said his vehicle had been broken into.  I decided to check mine and found the driver's side glass shattered.  The laptop I had hidden was gone.  The officer said they would jam a big screwdriver between the window and the frame and push in breaking the window.  They left the door closed so no alarm.  The guy would dive head first through the window and grab what was in reach.  One guy was asleep in his truck camper and never heard them break his window.  My stuff goes to the room with me now.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

DDW_OR

yep, a lock only keeps an honest person honest
"let the machines do the work"

breederman

I see open work trucks with tools in hotel lots all the time. I just park under a light in the front of the building and go to bed.😴
Together we got this !

DelawhereJoe

I've heard of people sleeping with an "old battle axe".
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

goose63

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on September 06, 2018, 04:20:19 PM
I've heard of people sleeping with an "old battle axe".
And you better not wake her up  :D :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Chop Shop

I stayed in a poopy motel in Salt Lake once with my LucasMill.   The powerhead was locked in the back of the truck but the 16 foot aluminum rails were on my lumber rack. 

I could picture some meth head turning them into the local recycler  for $16 worth of extruded alum.

I packed them into my motel  room that night.   Had to put them kitty corner from one corner to another and from floor on one corner to ceiling in the other corner.

I slept just fine after that.

mike_belben

My buddy drove from mass to texas to help out during the floods or tornadoes they had maybe 6 months ago? Generator got stolen at the hotel. 

When my wife and kids were taking the two day drive from our old house to new they stayed at a red roof (iirc) in roanoke and discovered it was the section 8 overflow.  Sketch city. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: DDW_OR on September 06, 2018, 01:19:08 PM
yep, a lock only keeps an honest person honest
The promise of violent punishment seems to work on most others. 
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

Quote from: breederman on September 06, 2018, 03:09:01 PM
I see open work trucks with tools in hotel lots all the time. I just park under a light in the front of the building and go to bed.😴
I tried that, couldn't back up to the building due to a fire lane. My top tool chest and chain saw were gone in the morning. The cop just shrugged his shoulders and said welcome to our fair city. Also had the tailgate stolen off my truck in my yard. We just have to do the best we can and make sure everything is insured but it is so frustrating. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bigred1951

I'm only 30 minutes from Winchester

Autocar

I have parked under night lights also in motel parking lots  had 65 gallions of on road diesel fuel stolen and we always took our saws in the motel rooms. 
Bill

terrifictimbersllc

I stay frequently at one of two motels and have never had a problem.  I usually arrange a room where I can look out the window to see my truck.  I leave blades, peavies, etc in the back but have saws locked in the truck boxes and stuff inside the cab usually covered with a blanket. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

My wife complains that she sleeps with a saw running besides her most every night.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

breederman

Wow , it takes a few minutes to pump that much fuel ! 
Together we got this !

goose63

Quote from: breederman on September 09, 2018, 06:47:49 PM
Wow , it takes a few minutes to pump that much fuel !
A 12 volt bilge pump will do it in no time
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Southside

Quote from: barbender on September 08, 2018, 09:46:26 PM
CPAP😊
Not sure how well that will go over. She wasn't really impressed when I got the earplugs.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Al_Smith

I used to tell people my stuff was guarded by a big mean woman armed with a broom .I neglected to mention the double barrel 410

Autocar

Al here a while back I stopped to talk to a fellow about some timber and at his back door there was a sign that read  This house is guarded by dust bunnies it made me smile  ;).
Bill

thecfarm

As I say,I have a box full of 22 shells. The first one may not kill ya,but it will slow you down enough so I can get another one into ya.
Sad thing to say really.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skeans1

The worst thing is when you have a saw or saws stolen right off a job, a few years back we had a hopped up 372, a 357, and my old 385 stolen out of the truck along with 6 bars.

Thank You Sponsors!