iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickled Eggs

Started by Chuck White, January 17, 2018, 07:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Not really, actually pretty tame Lee!

If you want hot, add a few Jalepino's, Hobinyero's or Ghost Peppers!

Just have spelling trouble with certain words!  ::)  ;)  :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

I like all of those. Hotter the better.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

luvmexfood

Someone above mentioned Penrose Sausages. Do they still make them. I looked at the local grocery store. Sort of got the hankering for some after reading this. Found pickled eggs, pigs feet and some kind of bologna that looked like weiners but no Penrose sausages.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Deere80

Dozen eggs
1 clove garlic
3 cup white vinger
1 cup water
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 large onion
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons of pickling spice

Slice onion up thin and boil the ingredients but the clove of garlic, after it comes to boil simmer ingredients for 5 minutes.  let cool then add to your boiled eggs in the jar.  Put in the fridge for a week then ready to eat.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Raider Bill

Quote from: Deere80 on February 01, 2018, 12:10:20 PM
Dozen eggs
1 clove garlic
3 cup white vinger
1 cup water
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 large onion
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons of pickling spice

Slice onion up thin and boil the ingredients but the clove of garlic, after it comes to boil simmer ingredients for 5 minutes.  let cool then add to your boiled eggs in the jar.  Put in the fridge for a week then ready to eat.

My Stepmother made a fine pickled egg. To the best of my recollection this one is pretty DanG close.
I remember she used the same recipe as the eggs for kielbasa except she added a bit more vinegar.

My Dad would eat the eggs, kielbasa, Limburger cheese and thick slices of onion all washed down with cheap beer.

I remember one time after he ate the above snack we went grocery shopping. At the checkout counter critical mass was reached, toxic fumes released, it was awful. He waited a second or 2 then said in a overly loud voice "anyone smell popcorn"?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck White

Looks like a good recipe, but I often wondered, what does the bay leaf REALLY do?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Chuck White on February 01, 2018, 03:25:06 PM
Looks like a good recipe, but I often wondered, what does the bay leaf REALLY do?

Nobody knows it's just something you have to do in most everything just because. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Peter Drouin

Anyone smell popcorn.  :D :D :D :D :D Good one.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Going up to the sugarhouse tomorrow, so we'll probably try a couple of those pickled eggs!

Who knows, they might need more spice!   ;)

DDW_OR

finally made the eggs
24 large will fit in a 1/2 gallon canning jar, without the onions. so i used 2 jars.
Hard boiling
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/kittencals-technique-for-perfect-easy-peel-hard-boiled-eggs-259573

then pickling
24   eggs, boiled and pealed

then microwave for 3 minutes
1 c   beet juice
2   clove garlic
1 Tbsp    curry powder
1/2 Tbsp    dill
1/4 tsp   oregano
1/2 tsp   paprika
1 tsp         salt
1/3 c   sugar - granulated
1/2 tsp   thyme
3 c   vinegar - apple cider
1 c   water

then had some juice from a jar of Famous Dave's Pickles
http://famousbbq.com/products/pickles/product/50-signature-spicy-pickle-chips
FYI: those are GREAT pickles

so added the onion - chopped to the two jars as i added the eggs.
tasted the juice, was great.

now the hard part, waiting.
"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

could not wait. found out 24 was not enough, should have been a whole 5 dozen, or more  8)  food1 digin1 digin_2 musteat_1

wonder how substituting Honey for the sugar ?

luvmexfood

If you do more and have access to an Instant Pot or other type of pressure cooker do your eggs in them. Peelings just fall off.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

DDW_OR

Quote from: luvmexfood on February 09, 2018, 01:09:30 PM
If you do more and have access to an Instant Pot or other type of pressure cooker do your eggs in them. Peelings just fall off.
so eggs and enough water to cover?

Dave Shepard

There are plenty of IP recipes. One was 1 cup water and five minutes at high pressure. Manual stream release after five minutes.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

On a side note, I saw in the news yesterday that the chefs for one countries team (don't remember which country) accidently through the computer translator ordered 15,000 eggs, instead of the intended eggs for their olimpic meals. Now them chefs could probably use any recipes you have got.

They said they didn't realize their mistake until the delivery showed up, there was just no end to it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Chuck White

Starmac, that would make a BIG omlet!   ;D

We went to the Sugarhouse today and when we got a break in setting up, I got the jar of pickled eggs out and we each had one!

Those eggs were so mild, I'll be adding a quart of vinegar and a little bit of crushed red pepper tomorrow morning!   :-\

Chuck White

I drained off enough vinegar and added a whole quart of apple cider vinegar and a little more red peppers last week!

Tried one today and they're pretty good now!

Chuck White

Added to them again today!

Two tbsp. crushed red pepper
One tsp Cajun mix
One tsp Creole
Half tsp Chilli Powder

That should touch them off pretty good! 

We tried them late this afternoon and they were really getting pretty tasty!

LeeB

It'll be time to add more eggs to the brine soon.

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I have bit my tongue long enough on this issue but I am like pickled eggs like many of you folks north of here are about Grits. I don't like pickles or boiled eggs (Yes, I did try them and confirmed I did not like them) so combining the two never had a chance with me.

My kids, grandkids and wife like deviled eggs and such but not for me. Hard cooked scrambled eggs or omelets are the only way to eat and egg IMHO. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

Oh no, fried,scrambled, boiled, or deviled, the only two ways you can ruin an egg(unless you get foreign) is to poach or pickle.
As long as you stay from the p's, you are good to go.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

LeeB

Not to big on raw eggs, most any other way is ok by me.

DDW_OR

Quote from: LeeB on February 23, 2018, 12:53:57 AM
Not to big on raw eggs, most any other way is ok by me.
same here. i like eggs almost any way.
we have a six egg poacher. uses metal cups and water to heat the cups.

the only way i like fresh raw eggs is when it is mixed in something and used that day.
Eggnog, mayo, and so forth.

Chuck White

Quote from: LeeB on February 22, 2018, 09:18:12 PM
It'll be time to add more eggs to the brine soon.
Ya, I know, Lee!  ;D
There are still 3 dozen or so in the jar!  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!