iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timely Suggestions

Started by Bill Johnson, April 30, 2001, 10:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Johnson

I just came across this suggestion which and since it is rather timely thought I'd post it here.
Now I know lots of you folks have been in summer mode for a while us northern guys are still thawing out so please bear with me.

ULTRAVIOLET RADIATION FROM THE SUN

People who work outdoors should avoid prolonged exposure to sunshine because of the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.

Excessive exposure to the sun's radiation over the years is a factor related to premature skin aging, skin cancer and cataracts in older people.

The UV levels are highest in the spring and summer between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. At noon on a clear summer day, for example, it can take only 15 minutes to cause a sunburn on unprotected fair skin.

To reduce the exposure of workers to ultraviolet rays while working in direct sunlight when UV levels are high, the following precautions are recommended:
  -Wear a hat
  -Wear tightly-woven clothing covering as much of the body as is practicable.
  -Apply sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 15 or higher on exposed skin.
The sunscreen should be effective in filtering both UV-A and UV-B rays; this information is usually printed on the product's packaging.
  -Wear eyeglasses that effectively filter ultraviolet rays.
Plastic safety glasses and plastic cosmetic sunglasses have been found to be good UV filters.

END
Source:Ontario Ministry of Labour: Occupational Health and Safety Alert.
 8)
Bill

Bill Johnson

Now that summer? is upon most of us it is probably timely to remind everyone to make sure they maintain their fluid levels.

Water refreshes, quenches thirst, cools, hydrates and helps body systems function at optimum. There is no downside to potable water.

When sustaining continued fluid loss, such as during exercise or heavy work electrolyte drinks tend to rob the body of moisture as it seeks a chemical balance.

Carbonated drinks decrease the amount of fluids that can be consumed and depletes calcium levels.
Drinks that contain caffeine act as a diuretic and interfere withe the body's ability to absorb carbohydrates. No carbohydrates=low energy levels not good if your are working or playing hard.

Some drink lots of cool clear water and remember by the time you first feel thirsty your are already down about a quart.

Bill

Bill

Tom

Bill,

Those are good suggestions.

I keep water in my 5 gal cooler and iced if I remember to get it on the way out.

A note:  I was going to be smart and put Gator aide in the cooler a few years ago to keep our electrolytes up.  It was good !!! but...

We were drinking 2+ gallons of water a day (each).  It was hot.  I began to get sick and thought I was having a sun stroke so I sat in the shade.  When I began to feel better I was still nauseous.  The next day it happened again.  I was using the powdered Gatorade and mixing it according to instructions.  As it turns out the problem was the quantity of stuff we were drinking in the Gatorade.
There must have been too many sugars etc.

I cut down on the powder and mixed it 1/2 strength.  We were ok after that.

I still would rather a tall cool glass of clear water when its 110 in the shade.

Corley5

We had Gatorade and water on a construction job I worked on.  Gatorade just never appealed to me but the foreman sure loved it.  He was the one that ended sick below the deck.  :D  Good old fashioned water can't be beat.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

I agree Corley5.  There is still a lot of talk about losing electrolytes but I'm confused by the rhetoric.  It's said that your body can't function properly when the electrolytes get low and they get washed out in the water.  How do you know if you need electrolytes?

Maybe the U.S. Army wasn't wrong by giving us a salt tablet every once in a while.  At least we didn't eat enough of them to get sick.

I envy those fellows in the North Carolina Mountains that can walk over to the Spring and get a cool drink of water whenever they want. That's the best.

Jeff

this is how I prepare for those Hot Summer days.

Fill that empty Milk jug about 80% full each morning and put in the freezer as you take the already frozen one out for work that day. It thaws as you need it during the day.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

yep, and if you put 2 frozen gallons in a 5 gal cooler you get 3 gallons of cool water all day and 2 gallons of Ice Water to drink for dinner and the ride home.

timberbeast

Interesting!!!!!  A couple years back I was limbing like a madman is heavy cover,  mucky footing,  with a cooler of Gatorade.  Felt sick,  drank some more,  it passed.  It was over 90.  Felt sick again,  managed to walk back to the shack,  felt like passing out.  Drank more Gatorade,  head was spinning.  Finally got a wet cloth on my neck and drank some water and laid down.  I drowsed for about an hour and felt a bit better.  Drank some more water,  and felt better immediately.  I quit for the day,  but now it's gallon jugs of water all the time.  Usually about 3 a day.  Hasn't happened since!  Guess Gatorade ain't all it's cracked up to be!!!!!
Where the heck is my axe???

L. Wakefield

All the fire and rescue materials and training now suggest half-strength gatorade at most. During trainings they provide water. It is true that sweating removes concentrated electrolytes from your body- that's why sweat tastes salty. But during times of either intense exertion or exposure to heat, blood supply is shunted to the skin or the muscles respectively. So circulation to the gut isn't at peak to accomplish transport and/or digestion. Plain water can evidently still be absorbed with minimal energy requirements, tho you can induce nausea and vomiting if you drink too great a volume of water at one time.   LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Gordon

An electrolytic replenishment fluid such as Pedialyte can easily be made. The key ingredient is Morton's Lyte Salt, a 50-50 mix of KCl and NaCl, mixed with Karo syrup[dextrose/glucose] and sodium bicarbonate with H2O.One specific formula per liter is one teaspoon Morton's Lite Salt, 1/2 teaspoon NaHCO3 and 6 teaspoons of Karo syrup.

People with less than perfect kidneys [kidneys get rid of excess potassium] or on certain drugs,usually for high blood pressure or congestive heart failure, such as 'ace inhibitors'[type 1 or 2] such as captopril(Capoten),Vasotec,Diovan or if already on KCl supplement should consult their physician.Ace inhibitors inherently cause the kidneys to save potassium and are often combined with diuretics that excrete K and Na in the urine so that the net effect is a wash and ,therefore,a potassium suppelment is not needed assuming the kidney function is good or, at least stable.

Lemonade spiked with just a teaspoon of Morton's Lite Salt per liter supplies enough of the essential K & Na.People already on a diuretic such as hydrochlorthiazide or furosemide[Lasix] are dehydrated by definition and sweating and heavy work [each exhaled breath is 100% saturated and can add-up to several liters of fluid loss when the respiratory rate increases.] When you add in the loss from sweat, urine, stool to the above "insensible" loss this can add up to several liters a day.

One good rule is to drink enough fluid so you have pale urine with some K and Na as dicuussed above. Assuming you have good kidneys and certain drugs as described are taken in consideration the kidneys can deal with excess free water[ i.e. water with a little less osmolarity than 0.9%[normal saline] by excreting the extra water and retainig the appropiate electrolytes so that you don't become overly diluted,nor concentratd with a proper total volume.

NaHCO3 is sodium bicarbonate-Arm & Hammer baking soda- that stuff kids mix with acetic acid[vinager] and launch a million rockets

As discussed Karo syrup(sugar/glucose/dextrose/sucrose, pretty much the same)can be left out if you don't need the calories. Lightly sweetened(artificially or with sugar) lemonade fortified with a little Morton Lyte Salt, NaHCO3 drank a little bit often so that the urine is alway pale is the way to go. A 7-11 52 ounce insulated container sounds like just the ticket- like 3 or 4 or even more a day. Kidneys can deal with excess-they just pee it out. What they can't deal with is shortage

Shew that was alot of typing
Can you tell the wife is the smart one of the bunch
Gordon

Don P

Thats our way, yellow ain't mellow.  On sunlight, Michelle had her first skin cancer removed 2 months ago. We're still pups at 41. She's up to spf 48, OK I can't stand the stuff but need to do better... neighbors wife wanted to know what I used to highlight my hair when we got back last year. Must need to win a new hat.

Tom

L.W. and Gordon (wife), thanks for the information.  I not only learned a whole lot but learned something that I needed to know.  

My High-lighting formula is a secret but the hat really sets it off Don.  ;)

You guys are going to love these hats.

Gordon

Your quite welcome. Hope one person uses it, works for me when I remember to take the 2 1/2 gallon cooler from the house. I'm a diet pepsi drinker and the wife hates that. She is always trying to feed me water on the hot days. So I compromise and drink both.

Gordon

Bill Johnson

Since we've seemed to have dried up all the input on drinking lots of water to keep the fluid levels up heres another good reminder that folks sometimes forget.

Filling Portable Gas Cans in Pickup Trucks and Cars

There have been several serious accidents associated with fires spontaneously igniting when people were filling portable gas cans in the backs of pickup trucks equipped with plastic liners or in cars with carpeted surfaces.

These spontaneous fires result from the buildup of static electricity. The insulating effect of the truck bed liner or the car carpet prevents the the static charge generated by gasoline flowing into the container or from other sources from grounding.
The discharge of this buildup to the grounded gasoline dispenser nozzle may cause a spark and ignite the gasoline. Both ungrounded metal (most hazardous) and plastic gas containers have been involved in these accidents.

Precautions:
Always avoid the hazardous practice of leaving the portable gasoline container in pickup trucks or cars when refilling.

Before filling, always remove the the container from the vehicle and place it on the ground at a safe distance from the vehicle (provides a path to dissipate static to ground)

Touch the container with the gas dispenser nozzle before removing the portable gas container lid(provides another path)

Keep the nozzle in contact with the container inlet when filling(to dissipate a static charge buildup from flow of gasoline)

Source: Department of Environment and Labour  Province of Newfoundland
Bill

Tom

That's good information Bill. I remember a this being a major topic on TV about a year ago.  We don't have too much static electricity down here in the summer, a little in the winter, but it is enough to set off a can of gasoline.  Just one spark is all it take and even 1 quart of gasoline makes a fire instantaneously that is almost too large to combat.

Drink a lot of liquids so that you have a portable fire extinguisher too.   :)

Jeff

Thats what I meant about a hat full! :D

Tom

.........I guess you could use a hat !   :)

Bill Johnson

BEAR FACTS:
Did you know that:
Black bears killed about 35 people in North America in the 20th century. By comparison 150 people were stung to death by bees and wasps and 375 were killed by lighting.
Only about 1/4 of the bear's diet consists of meat. Mostly they eat plants and other vegetable matter.
Bears have poor eyesight but excellent sense of smell and good hearing.
While black bear attacks are extremely unusual, more than 96% of recorded incidents involved an adult male bear.
Black bears have been recorded running at speeds up to 30 miles per hour.
Studies done in Algonquin Park (central Ontario)have found evidence of adult male bears preying on moose and other bears.

Bill
Bill

Bill Johnson

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A BLACK BEAR....
-When they see a human, the vast majority of bears run away.
-If a bear begins to move towards you, stop and face the bear. Make sure the bear has a clear escape route, then yell and wave your arms above your head to make yourself look larger. The idea is to be aggressive and to persuade the bear to leave.
-If these tactics don't frighten the bear away slowly back away, watching the bear. It may stand upright, make huffing or popping sounds, swat and beat the ground with its paws and even bluff a charge. These are the bears way of telling you that you're too close.  Give the bear more space. If it comes within range, use pepper spray if you have it.
-In the highly rare event of an encounter with a predatory bear, the animal may not give any visual warning of its intention,pressing closer and closer to you, assessing whether its safe to attack. Never turn and run in such situations. Be aggressive, yell, throw rocks or sticks, and use pepper spray if you have it.
-If the bear makes contact with you, do not play dead, Fight back, hitting the bear in the nose with a branch, rock,or whatever you have on hand to hurt the bear. Protect your vital organs and your neck.

Source:Ontario Forestry Safe Workplace Association,The Log, March 2001

Bill
Bill

Kevin

Bear encounters are etremely numerous here, several have been shot in residential areas, last year the incidents were weekly and this year they`re daily.
Two bear in two different locations last week poked their heads through screen windows where people were present inside.
One was whacked on the head by the homeowner and the other left on its own.

Don P

We were taught if there are 2 people to spread apart about 10' so the bear won't feel like coming after one and losing track of the other. Don't eat while hiking, kinda like trolling for bear. Keep a clean camp or even eat away from camp in bad places.All this was old info when taught to me,things might have changed.
There are places in the Smokies where the boars have run the bears out, there are bears there that know how to take down food caches :o

Jeff

While in the U.P. this week I visited with a friend that has been having some bear problems. Mama and the little one have took to coming on his deck to rob the bird feeders. His solution? He just showed it to me, and had not had a chance to work yet. He bought a pepper spray canister. He hung it, still in its cardboard and shrinkwrap packaging, from the porch roof. He then "painted" the whole thing with peanut butter. You get the idea of what he hopes will happen.

Don P

She'll come inside for chips and a brew to go with the peanut butter salsa! :D

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

This reminds me of when I was in Canada in '94.  I was staying with friends in a smallish A-frame house (probably made with an Alaskan Mill!) by the water in a remote bay up Clayquot Sound (West Coast, Vancouver Island).  Each morning the black bears would come out of the hills around the bay from us, and head around to the large shed, where the fish food was stored for the salmon farms just offshore. They had corrugated iron for the first 6 feet of the shed to try and keep them out, but often you could see where a bear had peeled back a section to get inside!!  Very strong animals.  Turning over rocks on the beach like they were pebbles.  For someone from NZ where we have no animals like this that can kill you, it was an ammazing thing to see.  Having never seen one before, I think I was over-weary.
In the late afternoon, the bears would head back around the bay, and dissapear into the bush.
Once when I was home by myself, a small bear came up onto the deck out the front, and went up onto its hind legs against the ranch-slider!!  Soon left but scared the crap out of me!!  I grabbed the camera, but missed the best shot!  I will try to post a pic of him dissapearing off the deck.  The second pic is just of the A-fame.
We had those aerosol can-powered claxon horns to take with you when you went to the long drop, which was a good 20 metres from the house!
Cheers
Charlie.

Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Tom

Hey KiwiCharlie,

We've got fellows who live on the edge of the Okeefenokee swamp who wouldn't have reached for a camera.  There would have been a shattered door from the shotgun blast and they would have been picking glass out of their teeth after supper.  :D

Good story.  Good thing you got pictures or we might have had to start a "Tall Tales" topic.  ;D

Bill Johnson

Fatigue and Safety at the Workplace

Long work hours and/or many consecutive days of work can fatigue workers and make them feel tired, sleepy, irritable, depressed, or giddy.

Fatigued workers tend to:
-react more slowly than usual
-fail to respond to things going on around them or respond incorrectly
-show poor logic and judgement
-are unable to concentrate
-are more forgetful and less motivated
-have a greater tendency to take risks

Most people need 7.5 to 8 hours of uninterrupted quality sleep each day; less than this can lead to sleep debt that will add up over time. A single nights shortened sleep may not effect your performance on the job but repeated disruptions over days or weeks can affect performance.

Bill

Tom

Bill,
The Medical field could certainly learn from these suggestions.  For years, Doctors in training have been put in situations where they must work ungodly hours, sleep on cots or standing up and still be able to diagnose life threatening illness and sew up gaping wounds.  When you go to the emergency room, think about  how far your doctor has been pushed and whether he has had as much sleep as you.

Kevin

My wife the doctor(who isn`t) decided it was time to reduce my salt consumption(which it wasn`t) .
Probably a good idea for some but what she didn`t know is that my blood pressure is a little on the low side and while working in the bush I`ve felt a little faint at times and my real doctor tells me I need to eat salt.
It might be worth having your blood pressure checked if you are experiencing similar problems.

As far as bears go, just get yourself a real good pair of running shoes.
Now I know what you`re thinking and you`re right, you`ll never outrun a bear but you don`t have to.
You just need to outrun your partner!  :D

Don P

Read a good tip on bear ID in Readers Digest the other day.
How to tell a Grizzly from a Black bear.
If its climbing up the tree behind you, its a Black Bear.
If its shaking the tree till you fall out, its a Grizzly Bear.

On the thread...this is the time of year I dehydrate, well other than summer. Its easy to forget to drink enough when you get cool.

Jeff

Did you know that there is a real good way to tell weather that pile of crap is black bear or a Grizzleys?  Pick through it. If it has little steel bells in it it's grizzley. The Hikers wear the bells to scare the bears away.

Bill Johnson

A Busy Season on Logging Roads

The arrival of spring means a sharp increase in traffic on logging roads.  Logging crews, log haul truckers, silvicultural workers, anglers, and cottagers share routes that vary from well maintained primary haul roads to ones that are rough, narrow, winding, sparsely signed and minimally patrolled, if at all.  The danger of colliding with a large animal such as a moose, bear or deer is constant and other obstacles such as washouts, large rocks and logs can crop up without warning.

Operators of company vehicles on logging roads need to be aware of the designated speed limit and other special rules of of the road, as well as communications procedures (usually two way radios) and other safety considerations for encounters with other traffic, epecially working vehicles.  Do not operate any vehicle unless you are trained, qualified and competent to do so and always wear a seat belt.

Tips for safe travel include:

Do not pass another vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary.

When following stay well back to avoid dust and flying stones

Traction, especially steering and braking is considerably reduced on dirt or gravel surfaces, reduce speeds to match conditions.

Headlights should be on at all times.

Source OFSWA Industry Alert
Bill

Bill Johnson

Last Wednesday, the 15 about 30 of here attended on ice training.

The morning consisted of in class work mainly reviewing policy and discussing hypothermia, how to recognize it and what action to take.

The afternoon was spent outside learning how to toss a safety line and how to prepare a person suffering from acute hypothermia for transport.

Then we all headed for the lake to try out what we learned.
It was -25C with a wind chill making it feel like -37C so there were not too many volunteers for going through the ice.

The instructors showed how to sample for ice thickness using a small auger called an ice screw.  At 10 feet from shore there was about 9 inches of white ice, at 35 feet from shore there was still 8 inches of white ice and at 50 feet from shore the instructor went through the ice.  It was only 1 1/2 inches thick!!  

The class expected thin ice because it was known that there was current in the area, what we really didn't expect was that the instructor only had to walk out to go through.

Because this was part of the training he had safety lines attached and a dry suit on it was no problem pulling him out but did illustrate the point that you can never tell when out on ice what the thickness is.

He was in 4-5 other times showing us how to get out using ice picks, and various other rescue techniques, all in all a very instructive day if not a very cold one.
Bill

Bill Johnson

Heat Intolerance from Prescriptions or Performance Pills.

Several events in the states have brought to light an evolving problem that could put firefighters at increased risk of heat related injuries.  A number of prescriptions as well as over-the-counter drugs and treatments contain agents that interfere with the body's ability to maintain normal body temperature during work or under conditions of environmental heat stress.  Therapeutic agents include drugs such as diuretics, laxatives, antihistamines, beta-blockers, tricyclic antidepressants, vasoconstrictors and others.  This includes such substances as caffeine, ephedrine and creatine, which are often used as additives in performance enhancing supplements.

Creatine is a natural substance that is often used by bodybuilders to increase bulk.  The downside to this is that it causes the body to retain water in cells so the water is not available to dissipate heat.

Caffeine is a diuretic, which tends to increase the flow of urine in the body.  This increase of fluid output, if not offset with and increased input can increase dehydration.  Coffee, tea, soft drinks and energy drinks contain caffeine, which also serves as a stimulant.

If you or any of your employees are taking any prescription or over-the- counter supplements, please consult a physician or pharmacist about possible side effects while working in hot conditions.

So much for the what not to do, firefighters are encouraged to use sports (carbohydrate/ electrolyte) beverages (Gatorade, PowerAde, etc.) which enhance fluid intake, help retain fluid, provide energy, and maintain cognitive and immune function during prolonged work in the heat.

Don't forget Water!

Bottom line...stay hydrated!

Bill
Bill

DanG

Thanks, Bill. Excellent post and a good reminder.

It occurs to me that we don't use this part of the Forum nearly enough. How 'bout it, guys. Doesn't anybody besides Bill have any safety tips?

Oh yeah. Bill, you're allowed to post on the rest of the Forum, too. :D :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Wudman

As I looked back through this tread, I came across something that I would caution about:

>>I envy those fellows in the North Carolina Mountains that can walk over to the Spring and get a cool drink of water whenever they want. That's the best.<<

Back in the early 90's I worked across a good portion of the Piedmont and Foothills of North Carolina.  At the time, I would stop and drink from a spring in the woods.  I acquired a giardia infection (a protozoa) somewhere along the way.  In a three month period of time, I dropped from 205 lbs to 155 lbs.  I was tested for basically everything known to man, scoped top to bottom, and generally violated in every way possible.  I had about decided that I was going to die when I ended up at Carolina's Medical Center in Charlotte.  The attending physician, fresh from his schooling, reviewed my case.  His first question for me was what do you do for a living?  I'm a forester.  Do you ever drink from a spring in the woods?  Yes.  He said, I think you may have a giardia infection.  Five bucks worth of antibiotic and a few days and I was fine.  

I carry my water with me these days.  Just be aware that if you have major stomach problems without justification, bring up the possibility of a giardia infection with your doctor.

Wudman  

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Jeff

We were on a job back in the early 80s with a beautiful stream running through it. Gravel bottom and crystal clear. I was working in the woods because the mill had no work. I stopped the skidder, walked down and rinsed my hard hat out then filled it with some of the best tasting cold water I thought I had ever tasted.  I dumped ou the remainder of the water over my head and stood there looking around me thinking how great life was. Thats when I looked upstream and noticed the dead sheep laying right in the middle about 30 yards away.

Bill Johnson

Given that some of us may not be all that familiar with snow, this seems like a timely suggestion.

Safe Snow Shoveling

Snow and ice create a hazardous situation for everyone but especially for seniors and people with disabilities.  

Shovelling and using salt, sand or other substances with ice melting properties will help reduce the potential for slip and fall incidents, which can cause serious injuries.  

Safe snow shovelling requires proper preparation, the right tools, good technique and knowledge.

Preparation

•Talk to your doctor about this activity and your health status before winter season arrives.

•Think twice if you:
oHave had a heart attack or have other forms of heart disease
oHave high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels
oAre a smoker
oLead a sedentary lifestyle.

•Consider hiring a student or using a volunteer service if you are a senior.

•Shovel at least 1-2 hours after eating and avoid caffeine and nicotine.

•Warm up first (walk or march in place for several minutes before beginning).

•Start slow and continue at a slow pace (Suggestion: shovel for 5-7 minutes and rest 2-3 minutes).

•Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration (starting before shovelling activity).

•Shovel early and often:

oNew snow is lighter than heavily packed/partially melted snow

oTake frequent breaks.

Tools

Shovel:

•Sturdy yet lightweight is best (a small plastic blade is better than a large metal blade)

•An ergonomically correct model (curved handle) will help prevent injury and fatigue if you are lifting snow (e.g. to pile it up on a snow bank)

•Spray the blade with a silicone-based lubricant (snow does not stick and slides off).

Clothing:

•Wear multiple layers and cover as much skin as possible, and delayer so you don't sweat and make yourself chilled, as you work and warm up

•Wear a hat and scarf (make sure neither block your vision) and wear mittens (as they are warmer than gloves)

•Ensure you wear boots with non-skid/no-slip rubber soles.

Technique

•Always try to push snow rather than lifting it.

•Protect your back by lifting properly and safely:

oStand with feet at hip width for balance

oHold the shovel close to your body

oSpace hands apart to increase leverage

oBend from your knees not your back

oTighten your stomach muscles while lifting

oAvoid twisting while lifting

oWalk to dump snow rather than throwing it.

•When snow is deep, shovel small amounts (1-2 inches at a time) at a time.

•If the ground is icy or slippery, spread salt, sand or kitty litter to create better foot traction.

Knowledge

•Shovelling snow is strenuous activity that is very stressful on the heart.  The weight of the snow you are moving adds up quickly!

•Exhaustion makes you more susceptible to frostbite, injury and hypothermia.

•Stop shovelling and seek emergency medical help if you feel you may be having a heart attack.  
Symptoms include:
oDiscomfort or heaviness in the chest, arms or neck
oUnusual or prolonged shortness of breath
oA dizzy or faint feeling
oExcessive sweating, or nausea and vomiting

References

City of Toronto Emergency Medical Services (EMS): http://www.toronto.ca/ems/safety_tips/shovelling.htm
Bill

Minnesota_boy

Bill,
I was with you on that until I got to the part that said "Shovel at least 1-2 hours after eating and avoid caffeine and nicotine. "  I'm getting too old to keep up the pace of shoveling for 1 to 2 hours just after eating and if I don't have my caffeine, I fall asleep.  :D :D ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sawguy21

Bells in the bear scat, that is funny :D Jeff is right though, the bears quickly learn that humans carry food so these bells are dinner call. Especially when said hiker chucks his/her backpack on the dead run.
Lots of good tips here. I have had beaver fever from that clear mountain stream, dang that is good water, and endured a marathon session on the privy
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Buzz-sawyer

There is no such thing as safe ground water for drinking in my book.
Once while taking a group of kids back packing in Rocky mnt nat. park..........we headed up to a 10,000 foot camp site and planned on boiling water there to drink.........well I found myself VERY thirsty upon arrival and saw that crystal clear mnt water trickling out....gotta be good right?
Well I spent a hellish night of projectile ejection from all available orifices..beaver feaver..........never again........a back packers hand purifier makes it totally safe in 5 minutes or less....... :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Gilman

Wudman,
You have any more of that water?  I could stand to loose about 100lbs.  I don't want that cheaper projectile dual orifice water, just your special mini thin water.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kirk_Allen

While stationed in Alaska we commonly drank from rocky mountain streams. Must have been lucky considering I never got sick in 12 years of drinking from them.

Ernie

Our farm and domestic water supply comes from a spring at the top of the farm.  Gives us about 70 psi by gravity.  It runs through the bush for about 20 meters before it dumps into our collection hole where we have our system inlet.  We get a lot of bits from the pungas (tree ferns) around the site and the odd eel blocking the poly pipe at a join but other than that have had no problems.  After reading this thread, I think I may get an analysis done to see if it as safe as we have assumed for the last 18 years.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!