iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Limb Kickback

Started by Magicman, November 13, 2010, 10:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Two buddies and I were sawing firewood for a heart patient today.  Really, this was for his next years wood but I had a 20" red oak that really needed to come down.  It had a heavy lean and all of the limbs were on that one side.  Just the kind of tree that will keep you awake.

Down she went but the limbs kept it about 6' off of the ground.  We kept working and got it down to one 6" limb.  I really didn't realize just how much weight was on that limb and how much it it was bent.  I was paying more attention to not binding/pinching the bar and chain than what I should have been paying attention to.  Well, at least I didn't pinch the bar.

When I sawed through, that bent limb caught me squarely on the jaw.  The force propelled me 6-8 feet.  No, I didn't get up too quickly.  I guess that the limb also launched the chainsaw which hit my left shoulder.  Not the chain, but the saw head itself.  I could raise my arm OK then, but it's too sore now.

2" higher and I would have lost teeth.  2" lower and it would have hit in the neck.  As it is, I can hardly eat, and my old mug is sore and swollen.  As bad as it looks and feels, I am thankful that it wasn't worse.

The Magicman's Facelift
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Wow!
Shoulda left those whiskers grow, and hide that mess. :)
Glad you are so so!  Hope better soon.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

yikes, I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

That's too bad.Things happen.Glad you are OK.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

If it's OK with you, I wouldn't mind a short break from being the team physician for the FF.  :D   Glad you didn't stick your chin out too far.   Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Skiddah

Scary experience, sorry you had to go through it.  You're right, it could be worse, but it's bad enough as is.  We walk a fine line everytime we work with trees.  It's easy to get a little too comfortable at times with something you do frequently, but if you worry too much, I guess nothing would get done.  I guess the best wisdom from this experience is that at least you're still around to be more careful the next time, right?

Warbird

6 - 8'?  That's impressive and scary!  This is proof you are a tough guy, eh?

Sure am glad you are okay.  I still owe you that cup of coffee and you ain't getting out of it.  :)

Ron Scott

Very lucky, that was a hard punch. Glad it was only a "wake up call" and you're ok.
~Ron

metalspinner

That's a close call on a couple of fronts.  Glad you're OK and just a bit sore. 

You should have come up with a good story about defending the honor of Mrs. Magicman in a bar or something like that. "You should see the other guy." :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Thanks guys.  Maybe it's time for me to invest in a helmet system?

Chris even let's his Son wear his.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

As Monty would say: "Just a flesh wound". ;D

Won't even notice in 6 months. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

Quote from: Magicman on November 14, 2010, 03:48:46 PM

You still get the marks. Only thing that might help with that hard of blow is a hockey helmet and face shield.
Glad you are no worse for wear. :)

metalspinner

QuoteChris even let's his Son wear his.

He turns into Luke Skywalker when the helmet goes on. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Lynn,

That was too close of a call.  Trees are dangerous creatures.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

Quote from: Magicman on November 14, 2010, 03:48:46 PM

Chris even let's his Son wear his.

This is what I wear:

http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/protective-head-ear.html

It wouldn't have helped much with where you got hit but I'm very happy with that setup.

Magicman

Actually that is the one that I was looking at James.

The more I look back on my accident, the scarier it becomes.  There are so many "what if's".  One foot closer,?  A few inches higher, crushed skull.  A few inches lower, broken neck.  My feet landed 54" from where I was standing.

Paul_H

What if your parents never met?
It doesn't help to dwell on things,rather learn from the experience and move onward.What if's can lead to an unhealthy fear.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Magicman

Which is why I'm going to invest in a bit more head protection and keep on keeping on.  We've all gotta learn from ours and other's mistakes.

Paul_H

Remember that a helmet wouldn't have helped in this case and you could have just as easily have been implaled by a sharp limb when you landed on the ground or had your neck snapped like a twig by the limb.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Holmes

That is a scary accident,I hope you feel well soon. I took my first GOL class Saturday what an eye opening experience that was.The instructor told a lot of stories about injuries.We would all be better off with good safety equipment and to use it, and to invest in the GOL classes.  They are in investment in our future health and well worth it. Magicman I wish you a quick recovery.   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

jdtuttle

wow close call. I have sawn firewood most of my life. When I bought my sawmill & started cutting more I took a chainsaw safety class. Even old dogs can learn new tricks ;) I wear a safety helmet, chaps & good boots whenever I saw. We don't mend as fast as we used to.
jim
Have a great day

saltydog

i am a one eyed logger thanks to a springpole. i was 19 years old  flipped up my screen on my helmet to pile some ceader post .flipping a post over a top dislodged a bent pole only 1 inch caught me in the center of my right eye .that was all it took tore my eye now im a one eyed logger. its dangerous out there. safty equipment only does so much.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

RSteiner

Glad you didn't get hurt worse!

My neighbor cut down a large white pine one day on a bit of a side hill and the top of it hung out over a small drop off.  He had limbed out most of the tree as he cut one of the last branches on the down side of the tree he didn't see a branch that was down in the depression. 

The next thing he knew he was on his back on the ground a good 10 feet from the tree and his head hurt.   He never saw the tree roll and the branch caught him right across the cheek just under his eye.  The hit was hard enough to break the bone under his eye and fracture part of his jaw.

Randy

Randy

nas

They do fight back sometimes :o.  Glad your OK MM :)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Magicman

Thanks guys for the concern and advice.  It actually looks worse now cause it's black, blue, and green.  The rain has given me some down time.   ;)

Raider Bill

I couldn't help but notice that is NOT a FF hat in the picture.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Magicman

That 25th anniversary WM hat matched my shirt.  I don't wear the FF hat when hurting.   :)

Burlkraft

WOW MM...I just saw this  ::) ::) ::)

You are one lucky Dude!!

That's kinda what my backside looked like after I fell from the tree.

That will be sore for a while.

When guys ask I would say ,"My wife did it!"  ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

Chin feels better and now the arm is changing colors to green and it's not quite as sore.

Jeff

I'm thinking an apology is in order for Burlkraft saying your face looks like his backside.  ;) :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

:D :D

And what guys saw his backside? I didn't see any pictures either.  ::) ::)

MM
That arm at least looks sore.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on November 17, 2010, 11:45:30 AM
:D :D

And what guys saw his backside? I didn't see any pictures either.  ::) ::)

MM
That arm at least looks sore.

All ya hadda do was ask  :D :D :D

Patty

Oh thanks for THAT mental picture guys!  ;D ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

HUMPH! I particularly. Recall being told NOT to ask for a picture.

WDH

I almost posted a snappy retort, then thought better of it and hit the "back" button.  Not the "backside button"  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I thought about looking in the mirror, but I really didn't know what to compare my mug with.  My imagination wouldn't go there.

Jeff

Well, now I got this image of burlkraft turning, and looking back in the mirror saying "Well hello there magicman!"

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Dan_Shade

I sure hope magicman has a good sense of humor!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doctorb

He may have Ed Zachary disease!

His face looks Ed Zachary like his A**! :D :D 

Just goofin' :)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

nas

Wow that was definitely a doctor joke ;)  I speak from experience as my dad and my wife's dad are both doctors.  (don't ask how I ended up being a dumb wood guy ???)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Magicman

There's gotta be a picture of Burl's butt er face in this book somewhere.  :o

I've got the pattern right here.  Where oh where  ???

Jeff

fishpharmer

Quote from: doctorb on November 17, 2010, 08:21:00 PM
He may have Ed Zachary disease!

His face looks Ed Zachary like his A**! :D :D 

Just goofin' :)

MM please stop there. ::)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

MM I am sorry to find out about your incident...I know this post is several days old, but I just opened it tonight...hope you are feeling better soon....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

customsawyer

He will be all right once the paper work is done. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Banjo picker

OK  ....I hate to laugh about a post about a bonk on the head , but that was well timed... and the MM did put that in there... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

This morning while cutting trees I was thinking about Magicman when I dropped the ash tree and it pulled over a 4-5" hickory tree, pinning the top of it underneath the ash.
Carefully worked around the hickory top, and then released it. Ka Pow!!
Sprung up at just enough angle to clip the brim of my hard hat and send it sailing. That was close. Missed the chin, nose, and glasses.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

We're not going to have to see a picture of you almost sitting on a toilet are we?

Magicman

Almost ??    :D :D :D :D :D :D

WDH

MM,

Neither case was almost in your case  :)

sandhills

Man, I'd love to have a bathroom with a veiw just like yours  ;D.  All jokes aside I hope you're feeling better everyday, that was one serious wack that could have been a whole lot worse!

Magicman

Thankfully, this thread hasn't gotten to food.

Seriously, my purpose was to refresh our minds regarding the dangers of our occupations, jobs, and hobbies. Beenthere's close call is a case in point.  If we remember other's mistakes, maybe we can prevent or, at least, minimize injuries.  

Kevin

I've only been whacked once in the face by a spring pole and my face shield took all the impact.
Walked away unscathed but the shield was badly dented.
I never cut without it.

Ron Scott

Thankfully, a near miss.
~Ron

Chuck White

Hey MM;  Just noticed this thread.

Boy, you've got some kinda kisser there.   I'm really glad it wasn't worse.

Sounds like you're on the mend though.

Us older folks need to take it easy, at least once in a while.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on December 02, 2010, 05:54:11 PMUs older folks need to take it easy, at least once in a while. 

Looks  :o  like we need to take our own advice.   ;)   :)

Chuck White

Exactly what I was thinking too!  ;) ;) ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Ok, but don't start comparing and displaying battle scars.  :D  sail_smiley yikes_smiley

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

Sorry about that SD...Guess I don't take direction too well. :D  ...and that was after the initial cleanup...Tim

Magicman

Off hand, I would agree that your description was correct:  "bonk on the head".

Banjo picker

After I took that lick on the head I promised Debbie that I wouldn't cut any thing down without a hard hat ...the other day I forgot it ..I was in the back on the rtv with 2 saws and when I realizied I didn't have the hat, I just came back to the house...A hard had would have saved most of that I think...Tim

Magicman

I guess even us hard heads need hard hats.   ;D

Bill Gaiche

MM that makes me hurt. Glad you are ok and able to make the post and a photo.  Its a good reminder to all of us that working with wood in any way can be dangerous. So the next time we pick up a saw or what ever, we can now have a mental picture of what can happen or worse. Could have been caused by a downed elk that had one last kick from that hind leg. bg

Burlkraft

Ouch Tim....That hurt I'll bet  ::)  ::)

I hope I don't have a pic like that to post anytime soon  :D  :D  :D

Banjo picker

I don't guess I should of put that on here, but I just learned how to post pics after 2 years of trying and I guess I got carried away...that pic was after Debbie had already done the initial clean up...Hard hats are us from now on...Tim

Magicman

Tim, if your story and picture will make one person stop and get his safety gear, then all is well.  Thanks for posting it.

Norm

Tim it was a good reminder to us all what can happen when safety gear is not used.

submarinesailor

This thread reminds me of a semi-funny story/incident that happened to me onetime while we were handling some special weapons many years ago.

I was supervising the handling of some special weapons on-board my last submarine in the early 80's, when I turned around and bumping my head on a piece of aluminum stair case.  This piece of stair case was part of the building that is placed onboard the submarine for security and space conditioning while handling these weapons.  It had corroded and broken loose leaving a sharp corner.  I thought that I had just "bumped my head" and didn't think anything about it.  Just after I went back inside the building, one of the workers looked up at me and his eyes got real big and he asked my about the blood down my neck and uniform.  I looked down and there it was, blood all down my left side - you guys know just how bad head cuts can bleed.  Well........Just after I got a paper towel and was wiping it off my neck and head, the captain of the boat walks into the security area.   Now just picture it; blood all over his Nuclear Weapons Handling Supervisor, inside a special weapons security area, a special weapon hanging on a chain-fall while being moved and the old man steps in to the security area.  Took a few minutes to calm him down and tell him it was just a deep scratch and that I would be OK until the weapon was in place and properly mounted.  He wanted to call away a nuclear weapons security violation and that would have brought EVERYTHING to a stop for HOURS.

About 10 years later when he came to Richmond to officiate over my retirement, we had a long good laugh about it about the look on his face when he saw the blood on me.

You just never know when a little bump/cut can be a big thing.  

Bruce

Burlkraft

That's a good story Bruce  ;D

Raider Bill

I like that "special weapon" :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

JIM GORMLEY

Glad you are ok. I still have the jagged scar on my left pinky from 20 yrs. ago. Reminds me everytime I pick up a chainsaw that kick back is not my friend!
I live with fear and danger. On the weekends,I leave her and go wild boar hunting.

Magicman

And, Welcome to the Forestry Forum JIM GORMLEY.   :)

lumberjack48

Wood cutting,  3 thd generation logger,  I was a owner operator for 36 yrs, when you leave home in the morning you have no idea what that day might bring you. I left home on Feb, 8 1989, 20 below 0, about 57- wind chill, working against all my rules. I had a block that had to be done in so many days. Will i didn't go home that night, at about 4 pm a tree hit me, broke my neck. They took me to Duluth ER, 120 mile trip in a ambulance, i was home 3 months later, a quad, the wife had to feed me the first year. I didn't have any insurance so its really been tough, it really gets tough this time of year, theirs no money to buy Christmas presents for grand children, at least I'm with them.
The wife kept the job going on till 96, but we couldn't find good help anymore.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

beenthere

Ouch!
Makes a hit on the noggin a whole different story.
Thanks for telling how it could be.
You sound like a real fighter as well as your wife.

Am glad you can spend time on the forum.
Merry Christmas and do enjoy the grand children.  8)
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Thanks for telling your story lumberjack48. Others may benefit if they just look out for number one before anyone else in these operations. I know some of the brow beaters are always pushing production. But, a person's safety has to take a front row seat when risk of injury is higher than in many jobs.

Glad you are among us as I'm sure your family is. Them Christmas gifts aren't all the important. I don't bother much with gifting myself.

Patty

Your family is much more important than a silly gift one picks up at WalMart.  Share your love with them, that is a gift they will keep with them forever.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

clww

*DanG! I'm glad you're OK, but I'll bet that did hurt!
I always say it doesn't matter how small the tree is, they're out to get you!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!