iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

helmet

Started by trapper, December 24, 2014, 11:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I have 2 helmets and they sit on my head and feel like they are coming off all the time.  one regular and one full brim. am I doing something wrong or they suposed to be that way?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

BradMarks

I presume you are talking hard hats.  You should have them adjusted to enable you to bend over, pick something up off the ground and not come off.  The suspensions are plastic and they will expand or contract according to the weather and the heat from your head.  So a hard hat that is tight to begin with can be comfortable in a short time. A ratchet type suspension will allow you to adjust easily, but the position of that darn ratchet can bother people, myself included.

clww

If they sit up high enough to fall off, I would loosen the head band. smiley_hardhat2
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Yup, your suspension needs adjusting.  It should not fall off when you bend over.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Yes, have it adjusted well, but there are also chin straps for them that will keep them on especially if one is looking up at tree tops a lot. I use one on mine most of the time while cruising timber and checking timber sales. During winter use, many hard hat liners also have attachments for the head band which will keep them on.
~Ron

pine

It may not just be the head band ratchet that needs adjusting.  The band is normally adjusted with the ratchet but the interior skull basket needing adjustment.  I have never seen a ratchet on that part but you have to loosen the bands and enlarge the depth of the basket so that your skull goes further up into the helmet.  Then use the band ratchet to snug it to your head diameter.

Holmes

Sometimes the suspension clips break. It only needs to break or crack 1 clip and it will not stay tight.
Think like a farmer.

trapper

I tried making the suspension longer but dosnt have any adjustment and the full rim which I like to keep the sun off my ears fits the best but I think if I could make the suspension bands a bit longer it would fit better. Any one in wi know any places they are sold and know how to fit them?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

kwendt

just found the answer to my question on another thread... Thanks guys.
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

SliverPicker

Work harder!  Once your forehead gets sweaty the suspension will adhere to your skin.  :D
Yooper by trade.

doctorb

Well, what was the answer????
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

drobertson

Had welding helmets get unruly, a good head band, both fleece and leather has helped in the past, nothing worse than a wobbly helmet, except maybe a wobbly helmet coupled with glasses that slide around as well ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

Quote from: trapper on December 24, 2014, 05:22:56 PM
I tried making the suspension longer but dosnt have any adjustment and the full rim which I like to keep the sun off my ears fits the best but I think if I could make the suspension bands a bit longer it would fit better. Any one in wi know any places they are sold and know how to fit them?

Look for a 3M replacement suspension system for the HH.
You may consider a fibreglass HH too.  Unfortunately what I have
read so far is those models tend to come with the cheap suspensions
so a replacement system is still needed even with the new hat.

DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!