iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ecdysis

Started by Magicman, August 19, 2016, 02:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK that is the scientific term, but we call it shedding it's skin.  I got to witness it for the first time this morning.  This fairly young King Snake lives in our and our neighbor's back yards.  It shed it's skin about a month ago just before we left on the PR trip.  It seems to know how to crawl under and through these leaves to catch the skin and aid with the shedding process.

Here it's head is under the leaves and you can see the skin wrinkling up on the tail part.

It's head pops up out of the leaves as it continues to crawl out of the old skin.

Here it has left the old skin behind as it crawled under the porch.  The "new" skin was shiny and with the bright yellowish spots.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Czech_Made

Never seen it, thanks for pictures.

Magicman

Sadly I never even thought about video.  I could see the snake's body undulating beneath the old skin which was the only movement for quite a time.  I knew that it was going through the molting process but even then I did not know what was going to happen next. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Love those king snakes.  They eat the rattlesnakes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I found a shed Garter Snake skin in my cellar one day and that's the day the wife decided she wanted the washer and dryer moved up stairs!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

crtreedude

Wives can be so sensitive to things like that.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

coxy

if it was my wife id be buying a new house  :D :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 19, 2016, 04:44:16 PM
Love those king snakes.  They eat the rattlesnakes.

......and RATS and MICE!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

if that's in your state keep it there  :D but it will die after the cold winter up there  8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!