iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

larch for turning ?

Started by james, April 22, 2004, 08:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

i have several larch on my property 6-15"dia how would this work for turning what type of grain pattern :-/

Jeff

Well, I can only speak for eastern Larch, but the ones at our cabin have very wide growth rings and the wood is very unstable. We cut some boards from one, about a 12 incher, and it cupped like a fool. I would classify the grain as non-interesting.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frickman

I've sawn a few eastern larch. The lumber sat around for a couple weeks and bled like crazy. It was a real pretty color, but seemed to have more sticky sap than even pine. I would think you might have to set the sap in a kiln like you do with pine.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SwampDonkey

Tamarack is being used here in flooring, it seems to be quite durable. I saw a sample at the trade show. I still prefer yellow birch, I have oak in the house and its ok. I wonder if they sort the yellow birch from the pile if it as the cherry (pink) color in the wood? I know there is cherry birch, seen it in Virginia, but this is yellow birch. ;)

Jeff, have you seen the cherry colored wood in any of your yellow birch? I've seen it in veneer and they call it flaming birch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!