iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Information about vehicle tires specification

Started by alsayyed, December 23, 2007, 06:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I hope some one could answer my question. When I have purchased my GMC Yukon there are four tires size on the vehicle which is
P 265/70 R 17. Yesterday I have replaced these tires with good condition second hand tires but the size is 275 65 R 17. I have not noticed any side effect on the vehicle while I was driving. The question do I have to stick to the tire specification  that came from the GMC factory or just dose not matter as long as the rim size is exactly carry the same number which is R17.
Has anybody done that?.

beenthere

alsayed
Here is a site that might give you some help sorting out what the numbers mean.

http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/tires.html

What I learned:
The P 265/70 R17 indicates it is a passenger tire (P), not a light truck (LT). The 265 is the width in mm, and the 70 is the aspect ratio.
So the 275/65 R17 is the right rim size, and the tire width is wider, with a lower aspect ratio (better ride).
  If the replacements are LT for light truck, sounds like you have a tire better suited for your GMC Yukon.

Google some others with the words tire size what they mean to find some more sites.

Wish you well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

Going by the numbers, the first one is 31.60 inches tall, the second one is 31.07 inches tall. Side by side, you might be able to see the 1/2 inch difference, they again maybe not, because what works out in numbers, rarely works out in real life height/diameter.

Put a flat edge on the bigger one and see what if any difference in height there is.

I think the sizes are so close, it will not even effect the speedometer that much. It just might run a bit faster. With used tires, I wouldn't even bother reprograming the computer (if that is even an option with the GM).

In short, don't worry about it.

alsayyed

thank you fellas for the information. in the that case i do not have to wory about it. becuase they cost me total $ 164 including the rims and they made by Michelin, they will go another 3 years. thank you again.

Nailhead

"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Thank You Sponsors!