iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How should I treat a solid log (squared off) before turning into a bench

Started by grandgourmand, October 27, 2014, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandgourmand

Hi all,

first time post.  I am new to the hobby.   By way of background, I own a farm and there's a 30-acre woodlot on it that I had professionally marked and harvested this summer.  Now I've got a whole bunch of cherry wood limbs lying around my problem.  Some of it I'll be turning into my personal firewood supply.  Some of it I want to turn into something more interesting.  In my garage right now is a 4-5' solid cherry wood log, untreated and bark on.  I want to turn into a solid log bench.  My plan is to square it off using my chainsaw, plane it and sand it down.  Then, put some sort of sealer or clear coat on it to preserve it.  But really, I have no clue.

Do I need to do anything to the wood to allow it to dry out properly (there are already some cracks...but i'm ok with that in my design)?
Is my plan so far sounding good as far as getting through the first few steps?
What kind of finish should I put on it?  I want it to look as "natural" as possible...no stains or anything. 

I have read some stuff about Pentacryl and thought that might do the trick.  But it's bloody expensive and wonder how much I need to use. 

Sorry about all the questions.  But I really know nothing. 

I've got a picture I want to attach...but need to figure out  how to post.  Will be back. 

Thanks in advance.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grandgourmand

Quote from: thecfarm on October 27, 2014, 08:19:16 PM
grandgourmand,welcome to the forum.

Thanks.  I've been creeping for a few weeks.  Mostly the chainsaw and firewood forums. 

Magicman

Hello grandgourmand, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

Scroll down to the bottom of the index page and you will find a picture posting tutorial.  If you need help, just ask.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

A big block wood like that dries out in it's own good time. A few years. If you are leaving it outside in the weather , a good water repelant stain or oil. If indoor it is exactly like a piece of furniture, treat with what every you like.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

grandgourmand

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 28, 2014, 08:20:25 PM
A big block wood like that dries out in it's own good time. A few years. If you are leaving it outside in the weather , a good water repelant stain or oil. If indoor it is exactly like a piece of furniture, treat with what every you like.

So I should be ok just squaring it off (by this, I mean using my chainsaw to take off the outside layers) and just let it dry on its own?  Then wait a few years, plane it sand it and stain it?  Seems pretty easy.  I don't mind if there's some cracking in the wood.  Will look more natural, I guess. 

It's meant to be indoors. 

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

grandgourmand

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 31, 2014, 09:47:27 PM
I would square it off, plane it, sand it and use it.

Thanks Stephen 1.  I noticed you're from Southern Ontario.  My piece of wood is black cherry from my woodlot on Norfolk county (not far from Simcoe, ON).

Thanks again for the advice. 

Stephen1

Welcome to the forum Grangourmand, Please update your profile so we can see where you are from. great to see more from this part of the country. You can also put a pinpoint on a map in your profile.

5quarter

Grandgourmand...welcome. You may want to leave it a couple of inches thicker initially. Plane it out some,, but wait to finish it. after a few years in your home it will be mostly done with it's mischief and you can resaw it to its final dimension, plane it and finish it.

With a name like Grandgourmand, you must be a cook?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

grandgourmand

Quote from: 5quarter on November 11, 2014, 10:12:43 AM
With a name like Grandgourmand, you must be a cook?

Thanks for the advice.  I should really post a pic.  But the common advice so far seems to be that I should cut it.  Any excuse to use my saw....

Good catch on my name.  I have joined a few forums in the past few years, and always use this name (easier to remember that way).  One of my primary interests is food.  As in, i'm always thinking of my next meal.  And I'm tall (6'5") so...grandgourmand.

Den Socling

Then you need to check out the FOOD board. But be warned. You better have something handy to stuff into your mouth 'cause you will get hungry over there.

grandgourmand

Quote from: Den Socling on November 12, 2014, 09:44:43 AM
Then you need to check out the FOOD board. But be warned. You better have something handy to stuff into your mouth 'cause you will get hungry over there.

I've been lurking there.  I should be able to contribute there, to make up for all the advice I'm seeking on the other boards.

BTW, like your T-shirt Den.  Yuengling is a tasty beer. One we can't get up in Canada.  I like quite a few of the big regional brands in the U.S.  Shiner Bock is another. 

Thank You Sponsors!