iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To Run the Kiln This Way or That Way

Started by Glenn1, November 15, 2014, 09:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I've now got my insulated slab laid and it is time to start constructing the actual kiln.  I'll be going with a Nyle L53 and the dimensions will be approximately 14' x 9'.  On their shop drawings, the show two different positions for the entry doors.  One is at the end of the kiln and using metal wheeled carts would be used to roll the carts into the kiln on tracks.  The other method is using much larger doors and placing them on the 14' length of the kiln.  The would more than likely involve using a forklift.  I can certainly understand the ease of loading using a forklift and entering by the 14' length.  What are the benefits of loading with a cart through an end of the kiln?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Tom the Sawyer

Glenn1,

I'm building mine with an end-load design and a cart (for a Nyle L200M).  One difference I can think of is that the door seals are supposed to be a source of leakage problems and the end load doors are considerably smaller.  Plus you'll need a pretty substantial header to span the opening of a 12-14' wide opening and, any sag or movement in the header will affect your ability to get a good seal on the doors. Those who have actually done it may have different opinions.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

drobertson

first let me say I'm happy for you, been setting on the kiln package for way to long, with no chamber, just poor management on my end for sure, the cost just held me back for whatever reasons.  I am thinking along the exact lines of Tom, the hardware cost for the larger doors along with all the involvements of sealing off poses issues. On the flip side, stacking, then restacking, then restacking again is something that makes me lean towards the big door.  Having a lift makes this the choice for me, without it, an end door would be without a second thought.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

One advantage of the big doors is that you can prepare your stacks on pallets,right off the saw, pre-air dry, and easily load them into the kiln with a tractor with pallet forks.  Fast, and you only touch the lumber once.  My doors are 12' long, 6 feet on each side, and they seal just fine with the door gasket kit from Nyle.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

when i ran l200's one was front load the other was end load.
pros with front load.. using forklift to load it would hold more lumber and faster load/unload time
cons with front load.. the door seal area is in direct line with the circulating fans also your total area exposed to cold weather is greater

pros with end load.. you can use a cart system to load/unload the kiln
the door area is smaller and not in direct line of the fan flow
cons with end load..using a cart you have less lumber per charge. the start up costs are higher building a cart and track system
my opinoin is you will be happy with either way you go.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

jdonovan

The forklift can put a stack from the air dry shed onto the kiln cart... so end load does not prevent the use of a forklifit. The only downside of end load is the need for the carts. Hand loading and end loader isn't something I want to do, so I regard carts an essential part of an end-load design.

I have seen a setup with the endloader had doors at both ends. Stage the to-be dried lumber at one end. When the kiln is done open both ends push the done cart out with the other. Nice system to get carts in/out and you can stage the air-dry/green on the 2nd cart.

Quotecons with end load..using a cart you have less lumber per charge

Build your kiln 'a cart taller' and there is no capacity loss. With a DH kiln the bd-ft you can dry is more the capacity limiter than the chamber size.

As redoaks said, there are enough +/- to each design that neither is a clear winner, and either design will likely make you happy.

WDH

For a small kiln like the Nyle L53, I can't see the sense in building an end load system with carts.  Max capacity is 1,000 BF, and the average load is less than that.

With the Nyle L200, where you can dry up to 3,000 or 4,000 BF, that is a different game.  End loading with carts makes more sense.

It all depends on your business plan. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on November 16, 2014, 08:40:59 PM
For a small kiln like the Nyle L53, I can't see the sense in building an end load system with carts.  Max capacity is 1,000 BF, and the average load is less than that.

With the Nyle L200, where you can dry up to 3,000 or 4,000 BF, that is a different game.  End loading with carts makes more sense.

It all depends on your business plan. 

smiley_thumbsup
I definitely am a front load aficionado. Fast, quick, and easy if you have the equipment to lift pallets of lumber.  One load out, next load in, shut the doors and drive away.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!