iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question for bandsawyers

Started by crosscut, May 01, 2003, 11:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crosscut

whats the largest log you can saw. i have a pto circular saw with a 48 inch blade. but i have a cough cough slight lead on a possibly lt 20 or 25 supposedly all hydraulic woodmizer. webSite hasnt been much help reason i am thinking of a bandsaw is safety for the first part.  larger capacity for some bigger logs and danG sure ready to let them hyd turn them logs for me as most of what i saw are from my tree removals and the logs i have to saw arent the straightest knot free logs around. time is money sometimes after all sawing seems to be more a passion and hobby more for me so far any way.if it was a perfect world i would have a neighbor with the sawmill and i could go in partners lol. makes tears come to my eyes thinking of all the beutifull lumber just gone up in smoke here. and i do see some potential here  in things like slabs and custom type work.  way more than production lumber work any help is appreciated thanks Steve  :-/

Fla._Deadheader

Too bad we aren't closer together. My blade will raise 42" from the bed and we already cut 37" Cypress. I built my mill oversize.
  Electric Al has been "shootin" the big logs so he can get them on his Woodmizer. Check some back posts.
  I could be in the market for a WM if you don't like the deal, IF it comes along.
  I just got a semi- full time job, sawing for a recycle-Mulch Plant. It will be ongoing. I could leave a WM there, onsite and take the bigger mill to Palatka for sawing the Sinkers.
  I might be able to get with you for a day or two, if you get some nice stuff.  Always wanted to see yer Circle mill anyway.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

I hear ya, crosscut, I hear ya. ;) I can't stand waste.

How do you all cut the big crotches and over sized logs if they don't fit on your bandsaw? I don't want to hear about how you spilt, hack, and chop them to fit. I want to know if anyone has come up with a really good way to do this, and still save some really cool wood.

ElectricAl

Furby,

For jumbo crotches, a guy needs a Swing saw with a slaber attachment.

We have two jumbo Walnut crotches that our WM cant handle. We have not been able to locate a "slabber" in Iowa yet :-[

We get some goofy logs in that we tackle on the old WM.

If the log is just too big to deal with it's Boom time.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Oregon_Sawyer

Electric Al:

Would you care to explain how you blow your large logs.  I have read a little but most are afraid to give to much detail.  If you don't want to put it on the forum I would appreciate a private e-mail.

A little background:  At 15 my Dad gave me the job of blowing the old growth stumps on the road right of way he was building with his D-8's.  I have used up to 75 sticks of dynamite on one stump.  Dad wanted them to split in thirds at least.  We never used fertilizer.  I am not sure why.

I have owned a sporting goods (GUN) store specializing in reloading products.  I also have commercialy loaded ammo for police departments.

Do you have to use black powder?  Can you use pyrdex(sp)?  I have some new leftover product from my store. Also I have over 100pds of smokeless powder.

Thanks

Loren  

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

ElectricAl

Loren,

100 lbs of smokeless powder won't be as effective as regular black powder. Because you need the big plume of smoke to go with the boom for the real effect ;D

As far as giving information out, I think I'll pass.
It's pretty easy to put someones eye out or worse.
The liability for me to post information, and for Jeff for allowing it on this fine forum is too great :-X, sorry :'(

Maybe you could find a cute girl that likes to Swing ;)

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

It's all fun and games till someone puts an eye out! :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

crosscut

thanks for the info so far guys :( lead on the bandsaw fizzled guy traded it 2 weeks ago for a few loads of logs . apparently cypress logs are awful hard to come by here. with all the water in the swamps now . still looking though

Fla._Deadheader

NOW is the BEST time to traipse the swamps. The logs will "Float" and make them easier to recover. There's LOTS of 'em deep in the swamps. Watch out for the watch dogs ;D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!