iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building bunks for a log truck.

Started by BargeMonkey, May 16, 2018, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I'm wondering if anyone has some helpful tips or ideas, I may copy what's there but I'm not quite sure. It's a "project", I know the original owner well, she is damaged and will need some work but beyond worth the fix. 550 cat, 18spd on 52k chalmers, legal for 117k, I cant get a trailer in on alot of my jobs so this was the next best thing. 

I've got almost 28' of frame, didnt buy the loader and dont plan to mount one on the truck. Just wondering what you guys have done before, heard guys talk about removable bunks or ones that slide, I'm still planning on going with 13' ish height on the posts. 
The pup trailer I'm going to run behind it, I havent seen to many that long but it's kind of nice, may extend those bunks. 

mike_belben

Whats the tag rated for?  Thats the first time ive ever seen a 3rd leg under the A frame on a pintle.  Must be a hefty one.  Pretty sweet rig too.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

My only comment on the bunks may not apply to you but... Will there ever be a job youll go after thats too small to haul your iron quiver in for?  Like a small house lot clearcut where a skidsteer could do it all..  Carry short logs from the stump to the trailer and load them? 

If so, i would make short bunks with drop in extensions on the truck, since the trailer would have to hold the machine and truck hold the logs.  Only matters on one trip in and out sized jobs.
Praise The Lord

deastman

I know a guy up here that's got a brand new 24" or 26' body minus the stakes, I think the 2 center bunks slide, he had it built for his wheeler  then he switched to a trailer set up
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

woodmaker

Hey ,bargemonkey,show us the other side of that truck.If its the one i think it is,I went to Hudson N.Y. to look at a Paystar dump the guy was selling.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Riwaka

Do you have nearby engineers with all the transport rule books? Need to know what the local rule books will let you do.

If you can chain up the processor head and use the cat 711 to lift the pup trailer off the truck (if the 711 can do a close in static lift) ( you might put fold down bolsters on  the truck somewhere (keep bolsters short or fold in or extendable bolsters on the pup trailer depending on weight rules) 
The weight of the pup on the truck obviously adds traction getting to the load out site and optimise your load being hauled out.

Do you need scales on the truck / trailer or are they on there already?
SHORT LOGGER | Vulcan

BargeMonkey

Quote from: woodmaker on May 17, 2018, 08:14:16 PM
Hey ,bargemonkey,show us the other side of that truck.If its the one i think it is,I went to Hudson N.Y. to look at a Paystar dump the guy was selling.
No one can honestly say what they would do in that situation, if there where a couple kids in the car it would haunt you for the rest of your life, it's a shame because it was a beautiful truck. I crawled the frame, I think the bunks and headboard took it the worst. If the body guy says it's to much to fix I may sit on the parts and order a new glider. The prior owner trucked alot of wood for me, I know the shape that truck was kept in. I'm hoping to run it just a straight truck without a loader, got some work 40-50 miles from home. 

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I may know of some bunks for sale in springfield mass on a burned mack triaxle.  Cab fire, dont think it bothered the uprights at all.  PM me if interested and ill find out if he still has it. Had a prentice up front but it'd need all new hoses. Grapple was still on last i saw. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Would a set up like this work out in the Northeast? EDITED BY ADMIN = no Craigs list ads permitted. 

woodmaker

Yup,that's the one. I didnt buy his paystar because of frame rust,but bought another with a L 10 in it. what a dog. Looks like i will be looking for a bigger ,mechanical engine.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

mike_belben

Put atleast a temporary pyro and boost guage on it before you go to that trouble.  One little boost leak to the air fuel controller housing will make any mechanical pump diesel a turd.  A bit of pump adjustment and a bit of timing can make night and day changes.  I drove my international home in the middle of the night all backroads NY to MA because it didnt have the power to hit 40.  Itll run 80 uphill at 30k now.  Timing was at 8* and no boost getting to the AFC to actually release some rack travel and give the plungers a chance to push fuel. 

I use $10 chinese LCD display and a $10 type K thermocouple for EGT.  Those stupid auto gauges are like $200+
Praise The Lord

Gary_C

Check out this company that makes bunks with aluminum removable stakes. The bunks clamp on the frame rails so they are somewhat movable. 

http://greatlakesmfg.com/PDF/Bunk.pdf
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Oliver05262

Barge, Bill Tattersall in New Ashford, MA has some bunks that are for sale; also a truck with a busted frame that he'd sell the bunks off. 413.281.4636.  If you were going to Springfield to look at he crispy critter that Mike Belben mentioned, it wouldn't be too far out of the way to look at these. He's on Rt 7, a couple miles south of where 43 crosses.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

woodmaker

Hey Mike, thanks for the kick in the a--, I dont want to hijack bargemonkeys thread,but I came to the same conclusion as you. The problem is that I know nothing about L 10's ,all I have ever  worked on is small and big cams. I did do the pittsburg power thing to the Autocar,but it smokes like burning wet leaves until it gets warm.
  I will start a thread on this when I get time to work on it,but for now ,I need to get out my cummins manuals and begin to re-learn  the P-T system. 

mike_belben

I have a 350SC with a PT pump in a kenworth parked 900 miles away but have no experience on those pumps yet.  Sorry i cant help you there. 
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

My 555 has the PT pump. Had it rebuilt last fall/winter. Just fired it up and the overhaul sure did the job. I don't think it smokes as bad, seems normal now but time will tell. I guess when worn they can suck air.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Puffergas

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

woodmaker

Thanks ,Puffergas.  I have a factory cummins fuel pump manual ,but I bought it in 1982,so it is somewhat outdated for my 1998 truck ( also somewhat outdated). Perhaps with your info and mine ,I can remember how to tweek the fuel system for more power. 

mike_belben

Just be sure to verify injection pump timing and be sure boost is getting to the AFC before you start cranking screws.  You can really chase your tail if either of those is outta wack.  

Thanks for posting that link PG.  I got the MW book the same way, some military pub. 
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Speaking of boost, one of the aftercooler hose clamps fell off the hose going to the aftercooler on the DT466 farm truck here. The truck would hardly pull, and would make a weird sneezing, snuffling noise every time you let off the throttle. Put a clamp on the hose and now it pulls hard, and no sneezing, snuffling noises. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

A boost gauge is a great diagnostic tool for both stock and modified diesels. You have to know the spec for your engine, but once you do, you can tell right away if something is amiss. I don know if your engine is computerized, but when the MAP sensor failed in my ISB 5.9, it would not fuel the engine due to not seeing a boost signal. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Puffergas

The PT pump is not timed to the engine.
Jeff

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Strange critter indeed. I think they call it pressure timed but the real timing might be in the injectors like a DD. The pressure controls engine power output. Correct me if I am wrong, anybody!
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!