iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shopping for saw

Started by Stan, November 20, 2003, 01:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Stopped by the Stihl/Husky dealer today. Biggest saw in stock was a Husky 372. 70 something cc. $479.95. Tomorrow will try to see an Echo 460, if the local guy has one.  :-/ This will be for my Alaskan 24" mill. For some reason big saws are hard to find around here. Probably because our trees aren't very big, constantly logged.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Tom

This might be a prime opportunity to shop with some of the Chainsaw tuners.  I'll bet they could get you any size saw you wanted. :D   Do you reckon they would be competitive?

KarlP

How big a saw are you looking for?  What is your budget?  Do you feel that you will get something from supporting the local guy?

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm has a Husqvarna 385XP with 28" bar & chain for $696 (+$2.50 s&h charge w/ no sales tax if you aren't shipping to AZ).  

I finally ordered a 385xp with a 32" bar from them on Monday for my 36" Alaskan.  Most of what I plan to cut is < 21" so I also ordered a 24" bar and chains for it elsewhere.  They seem to have great prices on saws, but no great deals on accessories.  

David_c

that is one heck a price for the 372 they are 600+ around here and the catalogs are getting about 550. so if i was you i would scoop it up and be real happy becuase it is a great saw. then if you want more power open up the muffler i did mine and she just screams 8) 8) 8).

Stan

That's pretty much the size I was interested in. Something in the 4 to 5 cubic inch class. Just want to mill some southern yellow pine into 12' 6x6 posts for a pole barn. I figure a 28" bar with the 24" mill will handle just about any tree on my place, which have to be big to be 16"dbh.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

So the next time we see you, you should have sawdust in your ears,  have sore forearms and a tired back, ...  

but, of course, you will also have that ...

[shadow=red,left,300]Look of a satisfied sawmiller ![/shadow]
Phil L.
  P.S.  Now that I am checking closer, maybe you already have sawdust in there !
                                        :D :) :D
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Stan

Well I have cut a lot of firewood in the 7 years since I've retired. Livin' on 2/3 of your regular pay means cuttin' some corners. Got to go to the flea market in Murphy NC this week end, there is a tool guy there with a lot of used saws, maybe I'll score a bargain.  ::)

Corley5

479.95 is a super deal on a 372.  They're 679.95 around here with a 20" bar.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Ah, soooo!

There are some old big Stihl models you might watch for, like the 075 or 085.   These are both big and heavy.  The 075 is around 120cc.   If you already have a felling/bucking saw, one of these oldies could be dedicated just for ripping.

The 075 I have is no telling how old.  Even so, with a 41" Stihl bar and big 404 full chisel chain, it will pull a full length cut in Red Oak.  I cut a 51" stump off its root ball just last week with this old tiger.  I have not used it for ripping, since I have a Stihl 090 set up for that.

Bought it used on Ebay.
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Stan

Made the rounds today, the 372 was $679,95. I don't know where the 4 came from, maybe I ought to stay away from power tools for the duration.  :-[ Echo wants basically the same money for the 670. It is just barely over the 4 cubic inch size and a 27" bar is the biggest they offer. Found an 066 on close out for $800.
An alternate possibility is a bandsaw advertised in a local bargain paper. Described as 24" throat, weighing 1000 lbs, powered by a single phase 220V motor, built by a machinist, will cut metal or wood. That sounds intriging, especially at the $500 asking price.
Did look at an old circular sawmill that will be auctioned tomorrow, No blade, carriage about 20 feet long but no tracks to run it on. A 6 cyl Contintal engine and all the wide flat belts in need of replacement, a lot of rust. I think I'll go to the flea market instead.

Thank You Sponsors!