iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log truck

Started by postville, April 09, 2011, 09:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

I am looking at a 78 Ford L800 truck to put a Prentice 110 loader on for a yarding truck. Is this truck heavy enough? It has a double frame. Loader has a 20 boom. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

sawguy21

The truck should be strong enough, I assume it has a tandem or tag axle. Parts for those old Fords are scarce though, if it is running the GM 8 liter diesel I would pass on it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

smwwoody

Here is a pic of my truck that is a similar set up that works well for me

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

snowstorm

Quote from: postville on April 09, 2011, 09:42:57 PM
I am looking at a 78 Ford L800 truck to put a Prentice 110 loader on for a yarding truck. Is this truck heavy enough? It has a double frame. Loader has a 20 boom. Bob
a L800 would be single rear axle gas motor. the L ment long hood tho later years there was a LTL hood was 18" longer. LN short hood. LT or LNT or LTL the t ment tandem rears. 800 mid range gas. 8000 mid range diesel. such as a 1160 or 3208 cat. 900 used big block gas like the 534. 9000 big bore diesel. as far as parts go shouldnt be much of a problem. ford sold out to freightliner in 1997. and became the sterling. that line is now gone. wouldnt worry about parts

postville

Here is the ebay link. 150584855649 -It must be something different as it has a cat engine. Tire size was unfamiliar, are these still around? Thanks , Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

4genlgr

i see the auction ended maybe they will relist it  i had an 86 LNT8000 (3208 225 hp 110 loader added frame for a tag axle 21 foot log body) for almost 20 yrs and now someone else is running it    changed out the motor  for a 250 hp @ about 15years change loaders to a 120 about the same time

that one looks just like mine but  has a different hood than mine did with the set in headlights, if it's a diesel it's an 8 or 9000, there are parts available for these yuomight have to find some at salvage yards some are probably still being used  and the other thing is   it may say ford on it but it is componant built  (ie cat engine, eaton axles, standard
seals and brakes, road ranger trannies)  might have to hunt if a door was smashed but ford produced a an awful lot of the louisville style trucks  for probably 15 years

tire size is what is kind of standard for trucks now   withthe big tires on the front that ax is probably rated for 12-14000 lbs  couldn't see the hubs on the tandam so it would be in the 34-40000 lb range    i don't know where they got their weight figures   
it would set up nice for 16 foot wood as is probably handle 6 or so cords   might get a llittle bouncy with longer wood

i hauled 8-10 cd   4500-5000 bdft of pine logs on my triaxle  as we call them up here

hope this helps     good luck

snowstorm

the set back headlights as you call them. that would be a  LTS ment set back front axle. the ford L series was built from 1970 until 1997 after that they sold out to freightliner.    whatever you buy make sure it has air brakes. if its a single axle should have a 12000lb front at least. 21000lb rear at least. no air ride

Thank You Sponsors!