iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

novice needing some advice

Started by RexBandit, April 06, 2013, 01:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RexBandit

The wife wants me to make her some shelves to hang up in the laundry room out of some ERC I have. Anybody got any pics or ideals for some nice but fairly simple shelfs??  Also what should I use to finish the wood with???
I'm new so I can use all the help I can get.

Dan_Shade

will she let you get away with stamped steel shelf brackets?

otherwise, you'll need to make a support structure for the shelves.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Wooden brackets made from ERC would look better than steel brackets in my opinion. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buck

There was some nice ones in Magicmans thread titled "Cabin Addition".
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

Nothing fancy, but we were wanting individual "cubicles" or open lockers for each person in the mud room.

I used cedar cleats under each shelf.  None of the shelves were wide enough to need edge reinforcement.  I did not use any finish or sealer.  If I had, I would have used Sanding Sealer which is a thinned varnish that soaks into the wood quite well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Axe Handle Hound

Nice looking shelves MM! 

Rex- What size shelves are you looking for?  How wide/how deep?

Tree Feller

Quote from: RexBandit on April 06, 2013, 01:00:49 AM
The wife wants me to make her some shelves to hang up in the laundry room out of some ERC I have. Anybody got any pics or ideals for some nice but fairly simple shelfs??  Also what should I use to finish the wood with???

Going on the assumption that you don't have a shop full of woodworking tools, I'd recommend you get a Kreg pocket-hole jig from Lowe's. If you can saw a square edge, then build a rectangular box using the Kreg pocket screws and glue on the butt joints. Add fixed shelves inside the rectangle where desired, again using screws and glue. A narrow (2") face frame will help prevent racking and cleats along the front of the shelves will bring them flush with the face frame plus add strength to the shelf. Use a cleat underneath the back of the top/shelves for attaching the assembly to the wall studs.

Polyurethane would be my choice for a finish.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

RexBandit

I'd prefer not to use metal brackets if I have to. I do have a little skill in woodwoeking but not much and I have at lest the basic tools ( hammer drill skill saw table saw jig saw router ect ect). The selves are to be hung above the washer and dryer. I'll need two since they set facing each other. Have about a 2 1/2 foot wide 2' tall and 2 deep.   Also I'd like a finish that would make the red in the ceded stand out.

Tree Feller

Two feet deep is pretty large for a wall-hung cabinet or shelves.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

RexBandit

She's got some little wire framed cloth baskets that she says she's gonna slide in them to make it easier to put stuff up with.

Thank You Sponsors!