iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axle grinds 648H

Started by Nub121, July 28, 2015, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nub121

https://youtu.be/G_M-jsNpR48  this is the link to my video on you tube. Is anyone else having axle problems with there deere 648h skidders? Mine has had issues since it was brand new it's smokes extremely heavily, the axles make metal and burn the oil and fill full of shavings within 40 hours of running!! Wanting to know how you guys got it fixed if you've had the problem?? I'm sick of this thing being broke I need to know how to fix it!!
648H  43" flotation!!!!!

Jeff

A word of warning here. The Forestry Forum does not allow one to make posts simply to try and blast a manufacturer. As long as you are here seeking help or answers there will be no problem. If it is to try and bad mouth a company, then we got issues. Looking at the comments under the video, I'm not sure, so that's why the warning.

So, knowing that, carry on.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

so il logger

I don't think he is blasting the manufacturer. I personally know the guy and his family, they are well known well respected among the forestry and logging community in my region. The last track I had of this problem it was going back to the shop yet again after only being on the job for like an hour. He is probably hoping someone has some sort of an idea of how to correct the problem. This guy is not anti deere by no means  :D They have literally spent millions on new deere equipment

Jeff

Just making the spirit of the forum clear to an unknown member. I can't know what is in every heart, only what I see and take from years of past experience here. As I said, in this case I don't know but carry on for the right reasons.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stang51D

Im having trouble right now with a skidder thats about 3 years old.  Trying to fix the ac and found the bad part, but it never came with any parts books.  Looked up the break down on line and it doesnt even show the part.  Called dealer, described it, sent a pic, they don't know what it is.  Your problem is much worse, but I share your frustration. 

beenthere

Stang
Are you talking the same model? If a Deere, then can look up all the parts in jdparts.com (free registration). That is if it isn't aftermarket add-on.

Would help if you would click your user forum name, and it will take you to your profile. There you can update with your location and we'd have an idea what country and wherein you might be. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stang51D

I dont want anyone to think that im bashing anyone.  but you are on the right track.  It is all origonal equipment, no aftermarket add ons.  I have looked up the parts breakdown on line, it is not listed.  The dealer can not find it either.   Not the first time with this company, we had a loader from them once, the steering valve was leaking.  book showed one valve.  There was two, and the one that was not shown, was the one leaking.   They didnt know anything about it.

Located in Indiana

kiko

The H series skidders have the teammate4 axles.  The oil does not circulate as in previous models.  The vent for the rear differential is located on the right hand side of the winch and if it is clogged it will cause the axle to overheat because the heat would normally rise and be vented.  You likely have an issue with the thrust bearing that is only in the teammate4  axle.  John deere even has updated replacement parts for this issue.  I have repaired several.  They are much easy to set backlash than the previous models.  However with it producing metal there is likely progressive damage, the entire axle needs to be gone through cleaned and repaired as necessary.  An older 1400 tm3 axel would  bolt in but you would have to block off the diff lock and brake lines. And Stang what ac parts do you need and for what machine.  ( I know where to get em)!!

Nub121

I have taking the breather line n tied it up by the fuel tank cap to ensure that it can breath. it has had 4 brand new axles in it this year already they can still can't figure out why the oil is burnt and full of shavings in the first 40 hours even after they change the break-in fluid. The gears on the new axles have cut grooves into the housing within 3 hours of running it. I have a dtac stack of papers over an inch thick on this h machine and we have yet to figure out the problem!
648H  43" flotation!!!!!

kiko

Which gears cut into housing  . Ring and pinion or planetary gears?

kiko

Has the issue of constant pressure on the the service brake line been addressed?

bushmechanic

Well kiko this thread has my attention as well. Nub121 did all four axles have the same failure? Were they replaced by John Deere/dealer? Strange for to have issues with four different axles unless the issue is somewhere else causing failure of the axle. I think kiko is on the right track maybe unwanted brake application or a diff lock problem. Just a shot in the dark but can you get those axles in a different ratio... maybe wrong gearing.   

CCC4

Since there seems to be a variable in the gearing, is it possible that the current gear ratio is not correct for running 44's?

kiko

This is what I found on the first one of these axels I repaired.  There is a large thrust bearing to engage the differential lock. The piston that actuated is located in the center housing and the diff lock clutches are in the ring gear carrier assembly. If any of these parts are damaged they must all be replaced. Piston thrust bearing and reaction plate.  If not the backlash can not be set properly . I almost got fooled then realized something was wrong. My deere parts guy had to contact engineering to find out we needed to replace all parts together and that info was not available on his computer.  Nub, when you say new did you mean factory new or newly repaired by dealer?

Nub121

Thanks for the information kiko! I'm going to try switching the yolks from the front to the back just to see what it does. Deere is cutting the carrier bearing bracket out and re-welding it plus putting a whole new drive shaft in the machine next Wednesday. When they do that I'm going to suggest try the yolk switch and see how it goes! Thanks!
648H  43" flotation!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!