The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Daily Fabrication Thread  (Read 23113 times)

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Daily Fabrication Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
Then cheap trick for bearing race removal run a good bead on the inside of the race

Works great on valve seats and dry sleeves too.  Nice stick holster on the trailer.
Thanks Mike, I remember doing it on a set of sleeves in a JD engine a few years back with the dual shield wire learned really quick how hot that stuff burns. The stand was way over due it's not fun folding the heel rack and grapples under the cab having to worry if you're going to drag some cables a long with you.

Offline bushmechanic

• Someone else has it worse than you.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 04:42:22 AM »
Well Mike I was looking at your trailer and the one puffergas was making and thinking to myself the rear axle that far back is going to put a lot of tongue weight on the ATV, which will take the weight off the front end making it hard to steer. Then I saw your solution in the front rack of the bike :D. Nice build and it's always good to have the kids involved.

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
Mike, you build your own chains!? :o :o

Wow! thats ingenious smiley_thumbsup

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 06:46:45 AM »
   Great thread.  Judging from your posts you probably already have something that you use to handle those bigger blocks. If not....back in the " dark times" we used longer wood hooks.  Just a shovel  , the plastic handle helped keep hands warmer. When you stand straight just mark it at your ankle.  Light pipe over wood and then hook in wood.  Use two of them and place hooks in the "ends of the block"  .  Note..these puppies leave a mark. Not so bad if feet are frozen.  :D

logon

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
Man thats funny, i actually have a snow shovel handle and a scrap of rebar sitting there waiting for me to make one.

on solid ground this is my pickaroon. 

Unfortunately the ground is never solid and it doesnt really go in the woods.  And it DRINKS the gas.   I made the dump cart for lighter footprint work and yes it is a little tongue heavy for the quad with a crummy turn ratio -too much trail length- but thats a short term power unit.

I have this kubota still up north that actually pulls really well, sips diesel, has great steering brakes and an appropriate wheelbase to match the trailer.  It'll be converted into the TSI machine somewhat like stephens.  The existing spindles on the dumper will become the pivot for walking beams, and ill extend the back more so its a 6 post instead of 4 and the load moves back.  No point in it right now, quad wont pull that much. 

Also, the basket pivot uses ubolts that match the hole spacing of the unistrut welded under it.  can be moved back about a foot in 2 inch increments to adjust tongue weight and tipper effort.  I mostly wanted to test the hoist before bringing it to the job and embarassing myself.   
Revelation 3:20

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
Mike, you build your own chains!? :o :o

Wow! thats ingenious smiley_thumbsup

Trust me, it was a fool's errand, like most things in my life! 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
A chain connected to each end goes over a farm jack and lifts log up level with the mill and then I can roll it on with a hook..
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Thats a cheap, elegant solution id not considered, i like it. 

Be careful with those farm jacks, always have the handle up when you switch from raise to lower.  I had one knock my head half off years back.

Offline Resonator

• Full Member x2
  • Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
Are those rice patty tires on your Kubota?
Card carrying Wood-Mizer owner - 2017 LT28G19
Kubota MX5800 4WD HST, '07 Dodge Ram 2500 4WD 5.7 Hemi with 8'-2" Boss V-XT plow, a couple of Stihl chainsaws,
18 acres of trees, 7 guitars, and Class A CDL licence with about a million miles in a semi truck.
"Chasing the sawdust dream..."

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
The welder across the lake from me makes rings cold using a heavy pipe the size of the inside of the ring, weld the end of rod (full length) to the pipe then anchor the pipe vertically to something solid, slide some pipe over the rod and walk it around the heavy pipe keeping the pipe over the rod close to the bend (like making a spring) . After you are done winding, cut down the length of the "spring" to release the rings.

The guy that was doing this said he was going to make a electric ring roller so he did not have to wait for someone to stop by to help push.

Also know a bunch of vocational teachers that made their own chains using a large machine lathe to roll the rings on a piece of pipe, they also made their own wood boilers and logging winches.

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 04:41:44 PM »
The load is between the axles, so, it can not nose up. The engine sips charcoal gas.  😊

Here is a top view:

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
Are those rice patty tires on your Kubota?

Yes, they dig extremely well.

Dumper worked flawless today, exactly what i needed to get up the hill ontop a muddy wet field.  It cut the number of steps down dramatically from previous technique, doubled production.  Very pleased. 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 07:03:39 AM »
Glad it all works for you Mike.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 10:51:11 PM »
A chain connected to each end goes over a farm jack and lifts log up level with the mill and then I can roll it on with a hook..
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Thats a cheap, elegant solution id not considered, i like it. 

Be careful with those farm jacks, always have the handle up when you switch from raise to lower.  I had one knock my head half off years back.

Thanks Mike.  It works well.  Iím very careful with the jack and watch with each stroke of the handle to be sure each pin goes where itís supposed to.  The good thing is that when I lower it, itís empty.  I can just lift the chain off and lower it by hand.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »
A winch that I made for the tiny skidder. It worked well. Drum had a toggle latch. Further up in the gearing was the dog clutch, sprocket with two pins.

Now it is kind of a cross over machine, half skidder and half forwarder so I want a different winch system.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 09:05:42 PM »
Didnt you have some vids of that machine up at one time.. Maybe on MTF?  Swear ive seen it with the gasifier on front.   

Would love to see more detail on the winch and how the takeoff power is achieved.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:35 PM »
I made this rig for moving the mill and other trailers at a job where I had nothing with a hitch. 4" channel, a premade receiver blank, and some 1/4" x4" bar stock.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
Looks like I lost what I posted. Below is the winch on the tiny skidder. Use a centrifugal clutch, chain goes to the dog clutch sprocket and also reverses the direction, from there the chain goes to the transaxle. If the dog clutch is engaged the chain on the other side turns the winch drum. the other drum side also has a sprocket that locks the winch with the toggle latch.

drum at the rear.

Jeff

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
This is the garden tractor with the gasifier in the front.

Video.

Jeff

Offline Mountain_d

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
Those tire chains look nice! Can you post a picture of your stove for heating the steel? Do you think sitting the steel on a bed of coals in an outdoor furnace would work? Do you tig weld? Do you think it could be practical with an AC stick welder? I don't have a tig yet. Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2018, 11:24:09 PM »
Wow, took me a few minutes to figure that one out.  Do you have to drop to idle to put the winch in and out of gear?

MountainD-  i used an oxyacetylene rosebud and it consumed a lot of gas.  It was just a hand torch clamped in a little scrap made holder, and a piece of angle iron that each rod layed in and i moved it every few seconds by hand while working the current piece.  Junk id tacked to the table then just knocked off after.

I would suggest hickory coals for a rod heater to save some money.  I do tig weld but that was mig.  No reason why stick cant work i guess. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whats best for cutting steel for fabrication

Started by chainsaw_louie on General Board

17 Replies
Last post February 08, 2006, 06:28:45 PM
by barbender
xx
BANDSAW SHINGLE ATTACHMENT FABRICATION

Started by Polly on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post December 21, 2006, 08:43:31 PM
by Polly