iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help a newby to milling spend some money

Started by John Mc, April 17, 2015, 01:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I've used a chainsaw for felling and bucking, and free-hand ripped a few logs to make a foot bridge over a stream, but never done any real milling.  My needs are pretty simple. I need to rip a few beams for an obstacle course we are building in our woods (mostly Red Cedar, Tamarack or Black Locust for now - looking for rot resistance). I'm sure I'll have other projects down the road.  I'm still wading through old threads, but thought I'd ask for input as well.

Currently, I don't imagine needing beams greater than 10" on the widest dimension, and 90%+ of the time they would be under 8" (4x4, 4x6, 4x8). Precision and speed are not really an issue at this point. Ease of set up is a consideration. I could probably get by with a "Beam Machine", for my current needs, but I'm thinking a step up from there might be in order to cover possible future milling needs - even then, I'm talking about low-volume needs, but being able to cut accurately may be more of an issue down the road than it is now.

So stepping up from the Beam Machine (+/-$40), I see the Granberg Mini Mill ($100), the Granberg Chainsaw Mill (+/-$150), and the Alaskan Mark III (+/-$200 not including rail system). Spending $1000+ for a chainsaw mill is just not going to happen at this point, nor do my limited needs justify that kind of expense.

The largest reliable saw I currently own is a Husky 357XP.  I'm figuring I could get away with it for my current needs, if I'm careful/patient. It normally wears a 16" bar (3/8" pitch chain), but I do have a 20" for it that could be mostly dedicated to this use. I do realize that once I catch the milling disease, I'll probably want a bigger saw, but buying one now for my limited milling seems a waste (old wrestling injuries to neck and back make lugging a larger saw in the woods a pain - literally, plus I just don't cut many trees that the 357 won't handle).  If/when the 357 finally dies, I was thinking of a 555 or 562XP to replace it, since that's a good match for my non-milling needs. I know I should go bigger for milling, but wonder if I can get by with these saws for low volume cutting.

Given my current limited needs, is a rail system advisable to start with, or something I could wait to add down the road? If it makes a big difference in ease of use, I'd consider it, even if it's overkill for my immediate needs.

Are their other accessories I should be considering - either now or on my wish list for the future? 

The Alaskan Mill seems like it would be more precise, since it supports both ends of the bar. The Mini-Mill seems as though it might be the easiest if all I'm doing is knocking out a few beams, and can live with a bit of variation. I'm sort of inclined to go with the Mini-mill for now, and consider adding a MKIII down the road if I really get into this -- or am I missing something?

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

Are you dead set on getting some type of mill rather than just having one of your FF sawyer friends knock them out for you??  I wish that you were closer to me.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Alligator

Never buy a tool or tool box that will only accommodate your needs today.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

MikeAM

Hi John,

You might consider spending a few extra bucks and getting the Granberg small log Alaskan mill. You can always upgrade it with longer rails and an end bracket later as the MKIII uses most of the same parts. You don't really need to spend money on aluminum guide rails as you can just use a couple of 2x4 and slabbing brackets to get your first cut square.

WellandportRob

Quote from: MikeAM on April 17, 2015, 04:30:27 PM
Hi John,

You might consider spending a few extra bucks and getting the Granberg small log Alaskan mill. You can always upgrade it with longer rails and an end bracket later as the MKIII uses most of the same parts. You don't really need to spend money on aluminum guide rails as you can just use a couple of 2x4 and slabbing brackets to get your first cut square.
I  agree with Mike 100% I use my CSM a lot and still just use a couple of 2X4's, works just fine.  Good luck and take it easy.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

John Mc

Quote from: Magicman on April 17, 2015, 01:07:48 PM
Are you dead set on getting some type of mill rather than just having one of your FF sawyer friends knock them out for you??  I wish that you were closer to me.   ;D

I've got a friend close by with a bandsaw (we're only a few thousand feet apart as the crow flies, but 5.5 miles by road). However, there are only so many times I'm willing to bug him for favors. I don't have much to trade - there are only so many times he want's to see his house from a plane.

I'd love to see your setup sometime, but don't get down to Brookhaven, MS anymore (since the Keystone-Seneca plant closed a few years back).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Alligator, MikeAM and WellandportRob -

The reason I was originally thinking of the Mini mill was that it would serve my present needs, then could be used as an edger if I got a MK III down the road. I didn't realize that you could convert a Small Log Mill to a Mark III. That may change my thinking a bit.

Of course, if I'm springing for the Small Log Mill, it's not all that much more to go for a MK III right off the bat. I keep going around in circles.

Nomad

I started out with a MKIII and a mini mill.  I quickly realized it wasn't nearly enough for what I wanted to do.  But your needs are not the same as mine were.  That was a very useful, versatile combo that was capable of making just about anything you wanted to cut, and some things you'd have a hard time cutting with anything else.
     If you have the time and energy I'd recommend that pair to anybody.  You just need to get REAL good at sharpening chains. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

GAB

John:
For some reason I can not send you a PM as the system will not recognize you email address.
Can you send me an email with info that I can contact you with.
Thanks,
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

John Mc

celliott

John,
I have an Alaskan MKIII 36" model. I currently power it with a 395xp running a 32" bar, but you can mount smaller bars.
I'm still learning to use it, haven't done alot of milling with it but if you'd like, I could make a trip over your way and you can check it out, use it, see what it's all about. We could mount it on a smaller displacement saw too, see how they do. Might help your saw decision anyways.

You mentioned ease of setup. The first setup with the alaskan is critical for accuracy, and it can take some time. At least I haven't gotten quick at it yet  :D

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

John Mc

Chris -

I may be passing through the Danville area in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I can stop in and see what you've got?

celliott

Yeah, sure that might work. I'll send you a PM.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!