iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parts help, Standard Sawmill

Started by FeltzE, April 20, 2015, 06:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FeltzE

I just brought home a circle saw. Standard Sawmill Machinery co, Erie Pa. It was stored out in the weather \(like most old steel) and will need some TLC to bring it back to life.

I am missing the Dogs for the setworks, IF anyone has an extra dog or can take some pictures of theirs and send them to me I would be very appreciateive.  I should be able to make them from scratch if necessarry, although would be happy to buy 2or 3 dogs if some one has them

The setworks are all steel, so I may spend some time with penetrator getting things loosened up

FeltzE

I forgot, I will be hunting or makeing a blade guide before it's done as well.   My browser isn't compatible with the upload or I'd have posted pictures already
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180563
Eric

FeltzE

I guess I'm doing it wrong, my setworks are upside down in the gallery, and the pics not displaying...

Argh, Just another nail in the log.\!

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180560
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180559

ddcuning

What's your plan for the mill? I love seeing another circle mill going together. I have an extra set of dogs for my frick if you want to check and see if the will fit. I want to keep them since they fit my mill but at least you would know if they would work or not. I am just up 87 from you in Pittsboro.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

gww

I really wanted to do a circle saw insted of a bandmill cause I thought it would saw faster and was the only type mill that I had ever worked around even a very small bit.  I could only come up with a 26 inch blade without spending money.  I hope you keep posting as you go till you are successfully cutting.  If I don't comment again, it will be because I am not smart enough to.  I hope to learn from you though.
Good luck
gww

bandmiller2

Feltze, your mill looks quite generic, the dogging systems from a lot of mills could be bolted on. Look up the Belsaw system they would not be too hard to copy. I would spend some time looking for another abandoned mill for dogs and saw guide, a fella can't have too many mill parts kicking around. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

You might be surprised to see how many of those PA mills closely matched Frick parts.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

FeltzE

The dogs could be "champion dogs" or "every ready dogs" as listed in the AMerican sawmill machinery company catalog.   I will get some better pictures loaded of the geared channel they ride on

Dave, I may take you up on the offer if I can't find something locally.   I do have access to a metal lathe and end mill for manufacturing and repair...

Freed up the setworks today, after 3 days of soaking with pb blaster, krull, wd 40...  started tapping and applying pressure. 2 of the 3 sets of bar guides came free, the geared setworks came free,... I added more pressure with a very large wood mallet code named Thor's hammer and the 3rd guide set came free with one minor (major) failure of a collar... I will have to make or repair the broken coller. Pics to follow.

FeltzE

Frank I can't agree more on the parts issues, I have a bunch of stuff around but still am comming up short on the drive pully...

Watching for parts...and parts of parts.

Thank You Sponsors!