iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally first sawdust of the year and first question for the mentors...

Started by addysdaddy, April 23, 2015, 12:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addysdaddy

Finally had enough snow melt around the mill to get the sawing bug a little shot in the arm...

Even if it was just some short hemlock to make some stickers...

for a few birch that are going to be a table for the new hunting camp...

So over to the question... I noticed when cleaning up that I was getting a pretty substantial buildup of sawdust on the drive belts on the LT 10.. wondering if this is the blade lube set too high or not enough... the hemlock is quite damp having been under snow since Dec when it was cut so maybe that plus the lubricant... (water and a dash of pinesol ) was causing it to cake on the belts... opinions encouraged and appreciated...
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

I assume you mean the v belts on the wheels.
I scrape them with my gloved hand which works just fine.
as regards sawdust, I am jealous.
It is too muddy to get the log truck to my mill, so havent made any sawdust yet.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

addysdaddy

Will try the dry cut today if I can get out... says rain here for the next 3 days... 8degrees... or 48 degrees if you prefer that for a daytime high..
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Sixacresand

I had that problem on my LT10 with certain logs, mainly sappy, fat-lightered or diseased pine.  I adjusted the lube rate, even installed a belt scraper which helped.   The build up on the belts caused the blade to lose contact with the roller guides and eventually blade dives.  I avoid those log, when I can.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

petefrom bearswamp

What Peter said, I cut mainly dry and only use the lube when I get  substantial buildup
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!