iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LONG Shelter

Started by ncsawyer, April 24, 2015, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

Stopped by one of my customer's today.  I sawed around 4000 feet of pine and a little sweet gum for him back in February and he indicated that he was going to put up an equipment shelter.  He was done except for the metal and it is one long building.  Those posts on the front of the building are 20 feet apart!  He put everything up green and some of it was sweet gum.  Most of it looked like it stayed pretty straight.  The only money he will have in the building is my sawing fee, nails and metal.  For the price I think he's got a pretty good shed!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Would make a nice Flea Market shed.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

OK, what kind of "equipment" is he planning to shed? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

Quote from: Magicman on April 24, 2015, 09:32:23 PM
OK, what kind of "equipment" is he planning to shed?

He's a produce farmer, so he will be parking tractors, planters and various farm equipment under the shelter.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

fishfighter

Could stack a lot of green lumber under there. ;D

47sawdust

Great looking shed,lot's of possibilities.Would have been better to turn his beams on edge.It would develop quite a smile in snow country.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ga Mtn Man

Looks like they're on edge to me  ???.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

YellowHammer

Looks like he just "liked" framing, and couldn't put the hammer and nails down :D :D
Reminded me of a fishing pier. 
Nice looking shed, I'd like to have one like that. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

joejeep

I am in the process of building a similar shelter for my camper. Was wondering the dimensions of the beams between the posts. I will only be spanning 15',,but I am worried about snowload. Thanks
My wife says I do everything in excess

Chuck White

Nice looking storage shed.

Likely it doesn't matter in NC, put up here in snow country I would laminate the beams with some 5/8" plywood to eliminate any sag.

Who knows, he may even have enough room to use part of it for a sawshed and lumber storage someday.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ncsawyer

Quote from: joejeep on April 25, 2015, 08:32:26 AM
I am in the process of building a similar shelter for my camper. Was wondering the dimensions of the beams between the posts. I will only be spanning 15',,but I am worried about snowload. Thanks

He used 16 foot 2x6's to build a 4x6 beam.  Then ran a 2×6 flat on top of the beam.  I would not have built a shelter for myself the exact same way.  I would have used at least 2x8's and put plywood between them to keep them from sagging.  If you've got access to some flat steel you can bolt two 2×8's together with a piece of 8 inch wide flat steel sandwiched between them and you for sure won't have any sag.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

beenthere

The 2x6 flat on top does very little to add strength. Would have added some of on the bottom tension side of the pair of 2x6 on edge.
Also, not the best for strength if the beam joint is over the posts. Can't tell if that is the case.

But if it holds the roof up, that is mainly what counts.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!