iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help in fitting the small log mill on 30” bar

Started by alsayyed, November 25, 2005, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello everybody, I have purchased the small log mill from Granberg  international. I tried to fit the 30" stihl bar but it cuts but not straight I mean the small  log mill only have one screw from one . I should get the bigger so it holds the bar tightly. Know I do not want spend more money is there anyway that I could  fit that 30"  bar on the small log mill. I have another idea if you people will share with me I am thinking that make copy of the small log mill  that fit this type of 30" bar it could be done in the machine shop.

Furby

What direction does it not cut straight?
From one end of the bar to the other, as in you cut a wedge or tapered piece of wood?

If you have the Alaskan Small Log Mill, it is for bars under 20" long and could explain the problem if making a larger cut.
The Basic Alaskan Mills have an upright on each end to keep things even. It sounds like that is what you are talking about making?
Shouldn't be too hard to do for someone who knows how to work with metal.
Take a look at the Basic Alaskan Mills.

WoodSmith

With the Small log mill there is nothing to guide then of the bar, so the longer the bar the more flex that there is. The small log mill will only except 20" max bar length.
http://www.toolcenter.com/sawmill/small.html
That extra 10" bar length is going to make a world of difference.
If you need to cut width's that are greater then what the 20" bar can cut you will have to go to using the Mark III mill.
Good Luck

Thank You Sponsors!