iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

maple tap wood

Started by peterjd89, March 12, 2014, 09:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterjd89

I'm currently cleaning up an old sugar bush and I'm new to the log and sawing business. I've heard that old tap trees are worth money if you saw them. Idk what size to saw them or how to market the product any advice?
Oscar 330/dolmar 6400/landini 8865/homemade wood splitter/ten foot dump trailer/homemade winch and log trailer

Magicman

I have no idea, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, peterjd89.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I would be curious what you come up with because veneer buyers won't touch them and some sawmills won't touch'm either. It would have to be a niche market, if there is some kind of value added behind it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

And you may find a tap or two when you saw them. We always blocked them off there was so much stain in them. Always reminded me of a star when you cut one down you sure could tell it was tapped at one time.
Bill

Peter Drouin

I have people looking for me in my town for logs like that  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, peterjd89.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moosehunter

Welcome to the FF Peter!
Here is a picure of some tap hole Maple that I have sawn. For the past three years I have done demonstration sawing at the Arnot Forest Maple Weekend.

I saw it 1&1/8th. Last year I was given some that I intend to make a wine rack out of.
This years Maple weekend is coming up March 22 & 23. I'll be sawing all day Sat. and Sun., stop in if Van-Etten NY is not too far from you.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

JohnG28

Moosehunter, I wish you were a little closer,  sounds like fun. I'm just outside Utica.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Woodboogah

I was in VT last summer and there was a little local store we went into and they had tap hole bowls (still doesnt make sense to me) and they had a pricey tag on them.  They also had cutting boards that were pricey as well.  The bowls just got me stumped though.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

SwampDonkey

Maybe they use them the strain cheese curds or butter curds from the buttermilk. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

A bowl with a hole in it???

My wife asked for one for Christmas one year, I told her its no good for cereal so whats the point in it. She made some rude comment and promptly informed me that its for holding yarn as she knits or crochetts.

Sawyer697

Around here they are using these trees to make sewing machine cabinets, for the Amish, who make most of their own clothing. They are beautiful when finished!
Northern Ohio is a Maple syrup, and these trees are tapped each spring. Guy next door just did mine, and looking forward to Blueberry pancakes and Maple Syrup!
Weather should be in the 50 degree by Friday, Heat wave! 8)
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

GAB

peterjd89 & others:
I've had requests for it from bowl turners and others.  I sawed a log into 8 bowl blanks that my grandfather had originally tapped many decades ago.  The pieces were hugh, in my opinion, as I did not have enough throat with an LT40.  Had to use the chainsaw and shave some off of the side for clearance.
My suggestion would be to try and presell it before sawing.
Maple does not do well in the summer heat, (turns blue inside) so I would not plan on stockpiling too much of it in log form.
There is a niche market for it.  You'll just have to try and find it in your area.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on March 13, 2014, 09:52:39 AM
A bowl with a hole in it???

My wife asked for one for Christmas one year, I told her its no good for cereal so whats the point in it. She made some rude comment and promptly informed me that its for holding yarn as she knits or crochetts.

Make her a swift. No need to even roll up balls, just place the skein on the thing. Make it out of maple, I did. :D

or a reel (squirrel cage swift)

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,those would work good at home. But in the stands at the Granddaughters ball game.  :o Those would not travel too well. The wife will bring a bag and a ball of yarn and do her stuff well watching the game.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

As far as I know all the yarn the wife gets already comes in balls of some sort hahaha.

SwampDonkey

Oh, well. I guess I can help defeatists. :D

chevytaHOE5674

And besides that those two contraptions don't look like they would last too long in our house with a couple of cats. haha

Peter Drouin

Lots of times the holes fill back in. Then you have the
Outline of the hole. That's what i'm looking for  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Well, gotta keep the wildlife (cats) entertained I suppose. ;D Some folks don't let the critters have free range. :D

peterjd89

Ok I got a direction I appreciate it
Oscar 330/dolmar 6400/landini 8865/homemade wood splitter/ten foot dump trailer/homemade winch and log trailer

Thank You Sponsors!