iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deere 440BA?

Started by gman98, October 11, 2017, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

What can you guys tell me about the "BA" models of the Deere 440?  I've seen a few advertised, but am not familiar with the BA model.  Is there anything particular about them compared to a regular B or A?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

snowstorm

No such thing. It's an.   A.   Or a. B

coxy

the model number some times has 2 letters after the model just like my 350c dozer has 350cb on the serial number plate have no idea why if I remember write my 350b has 350ba or something like that ill look today  its on the serial number plate

jdeere540a

Is the letter a A or a B my 540A tag says 540AD I always figured the D ment Diesel engine. I don't know if that's the case just a guess I know 440 skidders and 350 dozers could be ordered with a gas or Diesel engine.

dgdrls

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=39358.0

good thread on the 440 series,

from what I find the A/B series were produced up to the mid 70's 
then the C series came out and it "looks" like a revised machine.

snowstorm

Around 1966 the 440 came out. In gas or diesel. It was a smaller diesel than the 219 that was in the  a. The  b. Had the 219 turbo. The. C looked a lot different that had a 276 motor. There was never a ba or ab...

coxy

we had a B that was not turbo 

Satamax

I don't know much about those.

But i love the way they look.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ohiowoodchuck

I got a early 70's model b. I think it's pretty good little skidder for what it is. I haven't ran any thing else to compare it with. It is very user friendly. Mine has a synchro shift. I've took my time with it it as I've learned to run it. I've had it up on one wheel and dropped the blade to save it from tipping over. It was completely my fault. Don't try to turn and go down a hill with a drag because she will go over. That's what almost got me in trouble. Parts are a little pricey but so is everything John Deere sales. I haven't had trouble finding any parts for it either thru Deere or calling a salvage yard. There's guys on here who have a few of them there parting out.
Education is the best defense against the media.

East ky logging

I bought a 440b the other day but haven't had a chance to bring it home yet. I ran one years ago and they seem like good little skidders. I've been pulling for years with a kubota m8200 fwd with a winch or a 450 dozer. I like that's not to wide and shouldn't be to hard to build a road for because in east ky it's hard sometimes to build a wide road. I hope it works out because the boundary of timber I'm going to in a few weeks has some pretty big trees that has to come uphill and across the ridge that's the only way I can get it out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

grassfed

I believe that BA is part of the serial number of certain 440B models. My serial number on my main skidder is 440BAxxxxxxx My parts skidder is 440BCxxxxxxx The parts skidder was manufactured toward the end of the 440B model run and my main skidder was manufactured a few years earlier so I think that the A is for earlier-lower serial numbered machines. There were some changes over the run of 440bs . Some have different winch spools; one was cable operated and located on the winch and one was hose connected and mounted in the cage. Maybe some had CB injection pumps and others had DB injection pumps. Other things too but it is better to judge each machine than worry about A,B,C; many have been upgraded over the years and it would be rare to find an all original machine. JD parts lists many serial number breaks for 440B parts   
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!