iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wearing contact lenses and working around sawdust.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 22, 2007, 09:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I could use some advice about wearing contacts around the mill and while chainsawing etc. I have just gotten contacts, but I haven't worn them around the dust yet. I like to wear safety glasses around the mill, so I don't want to get prescription glasses unless I have to ($300 :o) Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Rhoad

I wear soft contacts and have no problems around dust. I wear sun/safety glasses when I'm outside all of the time. I usually don't wear glasses when I'm running the mill. If my eyes get dry I put a few rewetting drops in my eyes, but that isn't very often.

Kevin_H.

Dave I have not had any big problems with my contacts and sawdust, I wear a good pair of safety glasses.

I do use the disposable contacts so if they get too dirty I just toss'em and put in a new pair. ya might want to take a small bottle of saline with ya if you custom saw.

I have been wearing contacts for atleast 10 years and haven't gotten a new pair of glasses since.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Dave Shepard

Thanks, this is what I wanted to hear. I haven't gotten to the point where they are easy to put yet, so I haven't bean wearing them to work. I really didn't want to spend the $$$ on the safety glasses only to loose or break them. I have to wear sunglasses outside most of the time anyway, and they are Z87.1 as well as the clear safeties I wear inside.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

I wear soft contacts and have no problem.  I too use a good pair of safety glasses to protect my eyes in case anything gets kicked up into my face. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clif

I have worn soft contacts since they first came out (aboout 30 years). Being in the construction business and although I try to wear some sort of protective glasses now, in my early years that was not the case and ocassionally would get hit in the eye by some object and not receive any injury. The only problem I have had is fumes from some chemicals : paints,  cleaners etc. tend to shorten their life.  Hard lens (if they still make them) are made to bring fluid and what ever is in the fluid (sawdust etc) under the edge to keep the eye moist.  Soft ones are permeable and moisture passes through them hence not a problem.  One other thing I miss (I had to change a couple years ago) was only wearing one contact in my dominate eye to correct for distance and none or a weak power in my other eye so I could see close.  Ask your Dr. about it , if you try it do not fight it just let it happen and your eye will adjust  and you will not notice it.  If you could not tell, I believe soft contacts are great.  Protect your eyes what ever the cost it is worth it.  Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Fla._Deadheader

I've been considering this. I did the two different powers when I was still diving. One up close, one for distance. Couldn't tell the difference.

I DID, a couple times, wipe an eye and moved the lens.  >:( >:( It is instinctive. How would one adjust this, when sawing remote and sweating profusely ???  Can't carry EVERYTHING to the woods that you might need ??? ???

This has been my biggest concern ???  How long can you keep them in before removing ??? How long can they be used ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WDH

I have the "mono-vision" contacts.  One for far vision and one for near vision.  The brain knows which one to use.  It is pretty effective.  I can read without glasses, and I can drive without glasses.  The ones I use are good for 30 days, then toss.  I take them out nightly about 60% of the time.   I ahve not had any problem with wiping them out of my eyes.  They stick real tight!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

footer

I have worn contacts since 1984, and worked in industrial maintenance in a concrete pipe plant for 16 years, construction for 3 years, concrete ready-mix driver for 1 year, and currently a mechanic for a trucking company. I have been into construction/remodeling/sawing wood  and working with steel for at least 35 years. I have been around a lot of different kinds of dust. I would say the worst is concrete grinding or chipping, because the particles are so abrasive. Cement dust will destroy the contacts. It leaves a coating that won't come off. Diesel fuel and anti-freeze will also ruin them on contact. It puts coating on tham that that makes it look like yo are looking through a fog.

Frickman

Years ago I wore glasses some, contacts some. I had some problems with sawdust, and quit wearing contacts. I've worn glasses since age seven and really don't mind. I get the best polycarbonate lenses available that are safety lenses for my prescription and wear them all the time. It's real nice wearing safety glasses all the time, you never know when something is going to hit you.

I had a guy working for me awhile back who wore contacts. He worked in the woods, on the mill, and on the farm. All it seems he did was fool with them contacts. I asked why he didn't wear glasses at work He said that they were too much trouble, contacts were easier. It didn't seem that way to me though.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Patty

I have alot of questions about contacts.  ???   I have never worn them. I had to start wearing glasses about 5 years ago. It all happened when I was shopping one day for clothes and for the life of me, I could not read the tags. When I had to ask a little 90 year old lady to read the tags for me, I knew it was time to get some glasses.  ::)  Glasses are a real pain in the patutee I think. Always dirty, always in the way, always needing to be stronger...I have had them upgraded 3 times already! At this pace I will be in coke bottles by the time I am 60.  ::)    Anyway, I have a friend who wears the soft lens contacts. She swears her vision is improving. She says she only has to wear one lens now because the other eye has improved to the point that correction is no longer necessary. Is this possible? Is everyone who wears glasses a candidate for contacts? Can I start wearing them at this age? (I am 51). Will they stop my eye sight from deteriorating so quickly? Are tinted lenses better than clear? Are they hard to install?

Give me a minute and I will think of more questions.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

I don't think that contacts will actually improve vision but rather correct it.  I have been wearing them for 25 years.  You get used to them, so that taking them out and putting them in becomes rote like brushing your teeth.  The key is hygiene.  I have mono-vision.  One lens lets me see close so I can read and the other lens lets me see far so I can drive, so I don't need glasses.  Takes a little getting used to, but if you give it time, it works.  I am on the other side of 51, so I don't see why they can't work for you. 

Brian_Rhoad

I tried contacts about 25 years ago and had major problems. My eye doctor told me I could never wear them again. When he retired my new doctor said I could try them and see what happens. I could'nt stand my glasses when I was racing because of them fogging up. I have been wearing contacts again now for about 7 years. My eyes had been getting worse when I was wearing glasses. Now with contacts, every year they have gotten better. I was at my doctor on Thursday and my eyes are the same as a year ago. I can now pass the exam so I don't need glasses to drive. I will continue to wear contacts or glasses though. The doctor thinks that the contacts have caused my vision to improve. Another thing she told me is to wear sunglasses when I'm outside. The UV rays do a lot of damage to your eyes without protection.

Steven A.

If you wish to wear glasses but the cost is an issue try this place.
http://www.39dollarglasses.com/
I have purchased several pair there. I pay about $100 for a nice frame with progressive bifocal, high strength plastic lenses. The same thing would cost over $350 at Wal Mart.
I get my exam at WalMart and they give me the info I send to $39 glasses.
The website tells you how to measure for the right size frame.
I was sceptical at first but I've really been happy with them for about 4 years now.
I used to wear contacts but I'm in very dusty conditions sometimes and had problems.

Patty

I guess  I had not considered the cost.

I was more concerned about showing off my beautiful blue eyes!  smiley_gorgeous    :D

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Corley5

I've been wearing soft contacts for close to 25 years with no problems.  In dusty conditions they don't last as long.  They become uncomfortable.  I wear my glasses in the evening and 1st thing in the morning.  Otherwise my contacts are in the rest of the day.  I hate glasses
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patty

Are there specific brands that are better/worse than others? Are disposables better than non disposables? Do they make different softness's? If so which are best? Do you have luck in ordering them online?
Are mono lenses better than bifocal lenses?

So many questions  ???
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

WDH

I tried the bi-focal soft disposable contacts, and I did not like them.  Compromised too much for near vision and too much for far vision.  For in-between, they were fine.  I am 20/20 with the mono vision.  They are soft disposable contacts that you wear for one month and then trash. 

Corley5

I've always worn either Ciba Vision or Bausch & Lomb.  Currently B&L has the best match for my prescription.  I buy 16 pairs every two years from my opthamologist and usually have a couple pairs left over.  Eventually I'm going to have the corrective surgery done.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

I wore contacts for about 15 years and then as I got older my allergies got worse. Anyone with allergies knows the last thing ya wanna do is stick sumpthin in yer eye.... ::) ::) ::)

I had surgery 7 years ago and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I am however experiencing what they call old eyes.....I can't imagine that... :D :D :D Patty will like this...I have asked other people to read tags for me. Some days are better than others. The doc says to just get some reading glasses, but I could also have lens replacement. I'll wait before I do that....until I can't read the Forum anymore and then I'll do sumpthin.... ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

This getting old stuff is kinda a drag. First new teeth, now new eyes, next will be new ears....Norm will think he has a new bride by the time I am finished!  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Tom

The problem with lense replacement is that the new one is not focusable. (Is that a word?)
I understand they have to put a far focus in one side and a near focus in the other and your brain has to make the distinction of which one to use.

I'm looking at lense replacement, one day, because of cataracts. If or when I do, I'll get two far-away eyes.  I've been near-sighted all of my life and know what that is like.  I'll just get some reading glasses.

I know what bifocals are all about too. You can't read the labels on the bottom shelf at the grocery store.

I don't think I could stand each eye being different.

Fla._Deadheader

I got used to the near-far set in 3 hours. You never know they are different.  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Carries-Mom

I use the acuvue soft contact lenses.  They recommend you wear them for two weeks and get rid of them.  I can wear them for two months, as long as you clean them well with the solution.  If I'm working outside around dirt and dead grass, due to no rain, I still can get quite a good use out of them.  I do wear glasses, but only at night and in the morning.  I have been wearing contacts for 5-6 years now and don't have any problems.  It's just gettin' used ta puttin somethin' in your eyeball and taking care of them, and use rewetting drops when your eyes get dry.  As far as them shifting in your eyes, Fla. Deadheader, quit rubbing them so hard that your eye pops out of the back of your head.   :D :D  I've seen how you do that.  Hope my two cents helps!!

Fla._Deadheader

That's called "Itchy Eye". It's always in the corner.  ::) ::) :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

:D  Ol Itchy Eye!

I've been wearing contacts for (gasp) 39 years.  My first set were glass and it took three or four weeks to get used to them.  Felt like the doc was putting rocks in my eyes. 

I've been on mono-vision (one eye near, one eye far) for about 8 years now, and I love it.  I don't have to carry around reading glasses.  I also use about 12 pairs in two years.  When I'm working in a dusty area (like hay dust), those contacts don't bother me one inch more than I would feel if I didn't have lenses on and got something in my eye.  These new soft lenses are incredible.  I also have an astigmatism, so my contacts are balanced to correct for the wave in my eye.  I wear Accuvue Toric and I highly recommend them. 

I think anyone can use contacts easily if they are motivated to wear them.  If you can touch your eyelashes without blinking, you're a good candidate for lenses. 
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

I could put 'em IN easy enough. It was gettin 'em OUT without crushing them that was hard for me. SOOOO, I gave up. Had 5 free samples to work with, too.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

DanG Itchy eye is actin up.  :o :o :o ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

I tried contacts too.  Got an infection and like to have ruined myself.  The Doctors said it had something to do with mercury in the cleaning solution.  I think I just got a bug from sticking my finger in my eyes.  The actual wearing them didn't bother me a bit, except that, like deadheader, I was always rubbing my eye.

After the infection,  About 2 years later, I tried it again. They had come out with the "wear-a-week-at-a-time" contacts.  I ended up with them lost in my bed sheets.  I quit.  I just couldn't keep from rubbing my eyes.

I did love the brilliant colors that you lose when you wear eye glasses, and the peripheral vision would have almost been worth the trouble.  That was the most noticeable thing to me.  My peripheral vision increased in clarity by leaps and bounds. It was pretty cool and I really liked it when riding the motorcycle.

I have not had surgery because I was told that it was so "iffy".  Now the technology is developing to where it is something to be considered and I'm over the hill.  :-\   Maybe when I come back, eh? :D

Patty

Thanks for the input  folks. Contacts are my next big endeavor. (Yea, my life is pretty boring!) I wear bifocals now and they really suck. It is incredibly hard to focus on the computer all day, because I don't look downward to read it, I look up or straight ahead. Then you are trying to move the glasses up & down to get the screen in focus. Holy cow, by the time I get them to where I can read the screen I have forgotten what is was I wanted to see.  ::) My other gripe about the glasses is not being able to wear sunglasses. I tried the little clippy-on things, but folks were out right laughing at me, and I can't stand the humility.  ::) So then I tried putting sunglasses on over top of my glasses, and that was even more ridiculous looking. I have now resorted to just wearing the shades and not being able to see very well when the sun is shining.  :D Transitional lenses for glasses are very expensive, and safety prescription glasses cost even more, so the contacts are looking better all the time.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Fla._Deadheader

I wear the progressive Bifocal with auto-dark. I'm about blind at any range.  ::)

I bought the MOST durable frames when I started and now use one set of frames to keep the other set working properly. Always turn in the weaker lenses-frame, to have new lenses put in.

Now,I gotta get something new, and I'm tryin to develop a VERY sturdy frame to hold Bi-nockulaters. That's about the next step for me.  ::) ::)

Don't hablo enough Espanol to get something down here, soooo, next trip to Florida, I gotta mortgage the farm and get new eyeballs ???  :( :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Patty,
I've posted something about this before.  The best thing I ever did for the money was get a pair of single focus glasses that were set for the distance of the computer screen.  The reading part of my bifocals is too close.  The far-away is to far.  I've been 20/400+ in both eyes since age 5.   I didn't want to complicate my life and wallet with tri-focals.   The doctor was running a special, second pair half price.  I got a set of single focus lenses that focus from about my elbows to just beyond  my outstretched finger tips.  I had him put them in inexpensive plastic frames.  The prescription and the exam didn't cost any more.  The second pair of glasses is nothing special. (who am I trying to impress when at the computer)

It's one of the best things I've ever done.  Why I never did it earlier is beyond me.

I've even found that the second pair will get me by for distance if necessary, even though it causes some eyestrain.

It's great to have the keyboard, screen and the rest of the desk in focus.  I can even stand to read my notes with them as long as I don't over do it.

They stay right here by the keyboard where I constantly try to discipline myself to use a glass case and keep the pair that is not on  my head in it.  

Dave Shepard

I never got into wearing contacts when I first started this thread, a lot of reasons, but anyway, it was time to do something about it. I went in this morning and did the whole affair over again, and now have very comfortable contacts in. After about 5 minutes, I couldn't even tell they where in there. I guess it takes a couple of days to get full usage of them, things are still just slightly fuzzy, but not like it was. :D I did a bunch of stuff today, running the chainsaw, working outside with the cottonwood fuzz everywhere. Didn't have any problems. Looks like as long as I can get them in in the morning, I'm all set. 8) I didn't have any problem with sweat in the eyes either, which was one concern I had. :)

Warbird

Well, ya actually have to work for the sweat to be a problem...  ;D  I prolly better get outta here after making a comment like that.  smiley_horserider  :)

Dave Shepard

Contacts are working out fairly well so far. One thing I did notice was that it has moved my focal point out, revealing that I am going to have some trouble reading with the contacts in. Was working in the woods this morning, until I dropped a big pine into about four others, and the cloud of pollen in the air was absolutely alarming. :o :D So, my vision is a little fuzzy now, but it would have been anyway after that.

Thank You Sponsors!