iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ log truck video

Started by Ianab, November 20, 2018, 03:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Thought you might like to see a clip of some local trucks being loaded at a landing. 

Aztec Logging Truck in New Zealand - YouTube

These are basically the new standard rigs that are being used. The yellow H on the bumper signifies an overweight/size vehicle that has special operating restrictions, but the extra load makes up for the hassles. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Skeans1

They remind me a lot of what you see in the interior of B.C., I do wish we could get your guys self loading/unloading trailers they'd be great in the states.

longtime lurker

6 meter billets Ian?

its actually a pretty interesting combination to me...if  I could run 9 meter billets forward and  9 on the dog that would change a lot of things for me... 9.6 is kinda a magic number for utilisation at the mill for us, and oddly enough we get a lot of trees around that 9 m too ( well either that or they're some ridiculous 20+ meter log. There's a few advantages truck and dog here over a conventional semi or b dub when it comes to rego and axle loadings too.

Real interesting that actually - thanks for sharing
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Southside

Nice video. Are the fold down bolsters aluminum? It is interesting to see the driver in a hard hat, safety shirt, and shorts!! 

Pretty country side for sure.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hilltop366

I thought they were cardboard the way the driver lifted them up! Must be spring assist to raise.

I was wondering what were the hoses that run out to the hubs on the truck for?

mike_belben

I think theyre central tire inflation.  Or maybe scales but id expect that to be in the bag or ride height.  

So its like a straight truck, a convertor dolley and a log trailer with a bunk on each.  Could that be legal in the states?  Would they call it doubles or just not pass bridge formula?
Praise The Lord

Dakota

The hoses that run out of the hubs are air lines.  Keeps all the tires at optimum air pressure. 
Dave Rinker

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on November 20, 2018, 08:10:45 AM
I think theyre central tire inflation.  Or maybe scales but id expect that to be in the bag or ride height.  

So its like a straight truck, a convertor dolley and a log trailer with a bunk on each.  Could that be legal in the states?  Would they call it doubles or just not pass bridge formula?
Be no different then our mule trains out here just a 5 axle version.

Mountain_d

Quote from: Dakota on November 20, 2018, 08:34:22 AM
The hoses that run out of the hubs are air lines.  Keeps all the tires at optimum air pressure.
Yes, they also allow tire air pressure to be reduced if on soft roads and then increase air pressure when you hit the pavement. 
Mountain. 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Mountain_d

Yes, good video. Thanks for posting. A stroke delimber and slasher would work well on the job. But, can't beat the versatility of an excavator! 
Mountain. 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

sawguy21

That is interesting. We seldom see cabovers in the bush except for old highway tractors, they (and the driver) take too much of a beating. I haven't seen a second steer axle on a logger either.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

i saw quite a few twin steer trucks in bc and vancover island

Skeans1

Use to be a few running around NW Oregon and SW Washington too one operator really liked them with two drops on the truck and an extra axle on the trailer.

longtime lurker

Your mileage will vary but here standard GVM on a body truck will be...

standard (1 steer 2 drive axles)  22.5 ton          (I'm classing lazy axles as a drive if thats your particular poison)
single steer tri drive                   26.0 ton
twin steer 2 drive axles              26.5 ton

Thing with a twin steer is that its pretty hard to be over weight on the steer, whereas with a single steer tri drive you got to be a bit more wary of that.  I may have been caught before - under on the gross but overweight on the front axle >:(

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ianab

Quote from: longtime lurker on November 20, 2018, 11:28:04 PMThing with a twin steer is that its pretty hard to be over weight on the steer

That will be the reason. The axle weights are pretty strictly enforced, and those trucks are designed to push the limits of what the regulations allow. I think it's about 55 ton all up weight. They also increased the overall length limit to allow 2 sets of bunks on a longer trailer. Before that you could legally carry a larger load on the trailer and still be in the axle limits, because the trailer itself is lighter. But that led to top heavy loads on the trailers, and they tended to fall over on the corners. Allowing a longer trailer lowers the load height, and makes the rig safer. 

The cab over style allows for the max load length, and still be 1" under the overall length limit. Some trucks do run a regular cab as well, but they have slightly less load space. 

To get an H certification the truck has to be "state of the art", ABS brakes, Stability control etc. Many of them have the onboard tyre pressure control, and electronic scales built in as well. Also modern cab suspension and seats, so they ride pretty nice. To get to the major mills and ports you have to use main highways, and the cops do check on them. 

They also run pretty high powered rigs, 600-800hp. Slowing down on the hills, or taking all day to get back up to speed after a corner costs them $$. If they are running empty they will pull out and pass Grandma on the hills. :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Riwaka

Closer to a typical North American configuration? (apart from having the steering wheel on the wrong side)
Northland, NZ's Aysha Logging's 685hp Mack with m-drive, 6x4 bonnet.
685 Horsepower Mack Superliner logger - YouTube        

sawguy21

That looks familiar. I am wondering why the truck has a light load.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Ianab,thanks for the video.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 21, 2018, 06:53:38 PMI am wondering why the truck has a light load.

Keeping under the axle and all up weight limits. Big fines if you are caught overweight, and the trucks usually have onboard scales, so no excuse either.  They can actually load more on the trailer as it's lighter (no engine  / transmission etc), so that makes the load on the truck look smaller. 

The log bunks are higher, so they can carry a full load of shorter logs if needed, but with those longer logs like they have there, the truck only looks 1/2 loaded.

From memory I think they said they were running at 45 ton, which is about the max for a regular truck like that. The H registered trucks might be up to 55 (?), hence the extra axles come in handy. 

And yes there are a lot of regular American style rigs like this on the road too. 

Thank You Sponsors!