iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbo 7°

Started by Bruno of NH, June 10, 2018, 09:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Could i run a turbo 7° on my mill now with the 22hp or it that still not enough ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Percy

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 10, 2018, 09:01:33 AM
Could i run a turbo 7° on my mill now with the 22hp or it that still not enough ?
If you can afford it, Id try one no matter what the conensus is. You might like it. Never know till you try... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bruno of NH

Thats what i was thinking.
Some folks said dont run a 4° band on a 13hp but thats was the best band for my old motor.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

So my 2012 LT35 has the Kohler CH730 engine, which in 2012 was rated at 25 HP, my edger has the same CH730 engine, only a 2018 model and under the "new" rating system is called a 23.5 HP engine, so what does my sawmill engine really put out?  Who knows for sure, but I run Turbos all the time in white pine, yellow pine, white oak, red oak, hickory, etc.  I would try a couple, you may find that on really wide, or super knotty stuff you need to slow down a bit more than you like, but my guess is you will be fine for the most part.  

One thing to keep in mind is that Turbos cut great until they don't.  What I am saying is that you don't want to push them when they start to get dull, your speed and quality will drop off quickly, that being said they will cut a lot of lumber when sharp. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 10, 2018, 09:01:33 AM
If you're going to try, go now, they are on sale!
let us know if you do
D

scully

Things to consider: RPM's , The turbo's are very agressive , They pull allot of sawdust from the cut , I would watch and see if you get pack behind the lead edge of the cut if so you may have trouble . Basicly if you have a slower feed rate because of lower HP etc. etc. I'm no pro but I know they like being flogged bye my Kabota . Oh wait I am A pro ! I got a WM coffee cup that says so !!!
I bleed orange  .

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 10, 2018, 09:01:33 AMCould i run a turbo 7° on my mill now with the 22hp or it that still not enough ?

Depends on what you are cutting and how wide. I have a 35HP diesel wide and I can tell you that I curse those blades for wide logs. As mentioned, you MUST keep them moving along or they build up heat and tension decreases.

If you have smaller material and really want to fly, they work well. I believe they were designed for flat out speed, sawing "average" material. 

WM will generally send  you a couple samples if you call them to inquire about blade choices.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Bruno of NH

Im going to pass
I like the 2 vortex I tried
WM has never offered to send any samples.
I have always had to pay.

petefrom bearswamp

I am slowly converting to all turbos.
I'm off to WM Hannibal with 3 boxes of blades for resharp this afternoon.
There are still several 7-34s in the one box.
I have them replace any bad ones with turbos to bring them up to full boxes of 15.
30 blades will last me until late July or maybe even to after the pig roast.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!