iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How thick to saw casket material?

Started by Brad_S., April 24, 2007, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I was going to PM Ron about this but maybe others have answers or opinions too.
A customer dropped off some logs before he left for the sunny south last fall and will soon be back to pick it up, but I haven't sawn it yet. He wants it cut at 3/4" so he can plane it to 1/2" and build his own coffin out of it. That seems too thin to me and I questioned him on it but he insists it will be sufficient. I am tempted to cut half at his request and half at 4/4 just in case. There are enough logs there for several caskets. Anyone have experience with casket making? Ron, what does your customer use?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Faron

If they put my sorry frame in a casket that thin, I would expect to fall out the bottom before they got me in the ground.   :o  Might give folks something to talk about for a day or two, though. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Tom

I've thought about building myself one.  I think three wheels should be enough, but I'm stumped about the horsepower.

I like the idea of 2x12's.

Kevin

QuoteI like the idea of 2x12's.

That would work for the handles.  ;D

MikeH

metalspinner

QuoteWhat is his dry weight?

:D :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thurlow

Bunch of us made a pact to build our own coffins.................and use them for coffee tables until they were needed for their intended use.  All the others backed out, so I did too.  Don't think our wives would have gone for it, anyhoo.   ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SAW MILLER

It sure is hard to get a serious answer for such a somber question isn't it Brad...I requested to be burried on a 45 real shallow with 2 no. 3 victors set beside me to see if I can catch one more coyote 8) 8)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Tom

You need to wake up Ron Wenrich.  He makes a living sawing casket material.

Brad_S.

HEY RON~~~~~~~~YO, RON~~~~~~~~Boy, he sure is a sound sleeper. zzzz_smiley
I've waited six months to saw this, a few more days won't hurt. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ron Wenrich

Well, I can't stay up as late as you guys do.  I have to make lumber in the morning.   :D

I cut several loads of lumber per month for the casket companies.  They use 4/4 lumber only.  When they need to build up their corners, they use glue.  They also make a rounded top on the caskets.  I've never seen the process, so I'm not quite sure how they do it.

For the most part, they are looking for a 5" x 7' clear board, one side only.  They glue those into panels.  7' is good for the long length, and they use 3' for the width.  For the bottom, they will finger glue what used to be wood waste and make a bottom board.  They also put a bed spring in the bottom of the casket to give it lift.

The amount of lumber used is about 100 bd ft.  When my dad died, we bought a tulip poplar casket.  It cost a little over $1100.  Of that, we got about $65.  Of that $65, the landowner got about $30.  Kinda puts it in perspective about secondary processing.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

flip

A while back one of the wood working magazines had a half page that showed Pope John Paul's coffin.  They were trying to track down who made it but from the picture the dovetails looked like they were 1" or better.  Was a pretty neat old style with a simple cross and "M" routed ro carved on the top.
Do a google search for pope john paul coffin, first hit shows a good pic.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

den

Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Nate Surveyor

I want to make my dad's casket. He likes the idea. I had already planned to do it. For myself, I'd wanted a 36" dia x 7' long piece of PVC, with end caps. But that stuff is too expensive!

So, I have told my kids to mill it, and use rough cut pine on me.

My older brother died about 3 yrs ago, (diving accident, back injury, pain killers, OD). My neighbors built the casket from walnut. REAL nice job.

What typicaly happens is that at the POINT OF NEED, (for a family member) you are too worn out to make it. So, you wind up spending 2k or so for a pre-built one.

So, I am sure that pre-building it is best.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Frickman

Grandpa sawed casket wood, mostly tulip poplar, years ago. It was mostly 4/4, and the specs were just like Ron decribed. I've never sawn any, unless it went through brokers, as all the local caket shops are no longer there.

In the old days folks made their own casket, and stored it in the attic or barn until it was needed. There wasn't alot of money around, so they were prepared in advance. I remember hearing stories about people who saved their wedding dress or suit in their caket so they would be buried in it.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

DeepWoods

I have built both of my In Laws caskets.  My Mother in Law used her's last Sept.  It was made of a white pine that was struck by lightning.  My Father in Law's is still waiting to be used.  His was made of the first Red Pine that cut on my mill, and both were 3/4" finished.  Both were cremation caskets, so I felt this thickness would work just fine.   I made sure the handles on the sides were stout enough so there were no problems.  I used plans availible at Rockler Woodworking. 

The plaque in the lid is removable, and will hang in the log cabin he built in 1950.  The same place that the trees came from to build the caskets.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

olyman

In the old days folks made their own casket, and stored it in the attic or barn until it was needed. There wasn't alot of money around, so they were prepared in advance. I remember hearing stories about people who saved their wedding dress or suit in their caket so they would be buried in it.
uh---in the old days this may have worked--but not with the dia of people now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

sawguy21

Speaking from experience ??? :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

olyman

nope--havent changed for 15 yrs---and dont intend to either--dont want to fight health problems--though i know thats no guarentee----but extra weight is hard on the heart-----------

solidwoods

The customer isn't a woodworker is he?
1/2" casket material is way too thin.
Gotta use 3/4" thick.
1.125" on your scale will make materials that can be surfaced to a .75" product.
A casket cannot be built cheap, if it breaks in use its real bad.
Don't send loved ones on with duck tape on the casket.

DW very nice beautiful work.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

sawdust

ordered the book online from Chapters. Grandpa is 94 and would like me to build one for him. Would it be in bad taste to suggest I need to hurry?  :o. Healthy as a horse but still hesitates to buy green banannas.

dc
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!