iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing Mill Blade Coolant

Started by Firebass, April 26, 2007, 12:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

???Ok,  Now as some of you know,  I have entered this forum about as green as a tree frog.  And I've asked some of the most basic questions there is to sawing with a swing mill.  But! Now I've got a few hours on my homemade swing mill and I'm trying to figure out the coolant subject.  I'm using a Lucas blade and I've been cutting dry Douglas fir.   So dry, That I almost have to wear a dust mask if theres no breeze.  I have used no coolant on my  mill because  I haven't noticed any heat  or build up on my blade until today when I started cutting some fresh (still alive) fir.  I got some yellow temper near the rim of my blade.   So What about coolant? Is it really necessary or is it just a dust collector? or does it lube the blade so much that it doesn't get hot?  I can't wait to hear the theory about it.  Because I just don't know.

Firebass

solodan

Water or soapy water! You need to keep it cool.

Captain

It REALLY depends on what you are cutting.  Dry and really "pitchy" species usually require water.  I've only used soap when cutting "Pitch Pine", a really ultra sticky variety up here with greenish bark.  It is also necessary when there is inadequate side clearance on the blade teeth to reduce the possibility of overheat, as an example when the teeth have been ground down more than 1/2 way.  Water use also depends on your sawing feed rate.  When I'm running wide open, typically there is water running on the blade.  At the end of the day in the last tank, I'll add dish soap to keep the algae from growing.

I use very little if any water in the winter time on frozen, fresh logs.

Captain

brdmkr

Firebass, I use Lucas blades too (good thing since I have a Lucas mill).  All I have ever used was water, but I NEVER run without lube.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Firebass

Quote from: brdmkr on April 26, 2007, 08:50:44 AM
Firebass, I use Lucas blades too (good thing since I have a Lucas mill).  All I have ever used was water, but I NEVER run without lube.

Thanks for the reply.   I think I'll have to add the watertank to my mill.   What is a good sign of the right amount of water?  where is it applied and Does it trickle thru the holes in the blade so it can reach both sides?

Thanks
Firebass

brdmkr

The water drips very near the hub holding the blade.  I set it to just a slight trickle before I fire up the mill.  I then just pretend it is a Ronco oven.... I set it and forget it.  I do refill the jug when needed.  If you need some pics of how it is set up on the Lucas, let me know and I'll get some for you.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Firebass

Quote from: brdmkr on April 26, 2007, 10:53:15 PM
The water drips very near the hub holding the blade.  I set it to just a slight trickle before I fire up the mill.  I then just pretend it is a Ronco oven.... I set it and forget it.  I do refill the jug when needed.  If you need some pics of how it is set up on the Lucas, let me know and I'll get some for you.

Ronco Oven,  :D :D :D  That was my next question.

Dakota

Firebass,

What everyone else said.  Here's an idea for taking and storing water near your mill.  Maybe even use one to act as your tank.  Anyway, my wife discards these, they've got soap left over in them, so I just fill them up and keep them for refilling my tank.

Dave Rinker

Firebass

Quote from: Dakota on April 27, 2007, 10:29:08 AM
Firebass,

What everyone else said.  Here's an idea for taking and storing water near your mill.  Maybe even use one to act as your tank.  Anyway, my wife discards these, they've got soap left over in them, so I just fill them up and keep them for refilling my tank.

Great Idea
Thanks,
Firebass

urbanlumberinc

Try using a capful of pine sol in your cooling water when sawing softwood species.  Pine sol, like the name implies, dissolves pine pitch better than anything I've found.  I use it right out of the bottle to remove any buildup at the end of the day.

Thank You Sponsors!