iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Auto clutch

Started by stumpy, April 26, 2007, 07:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Does anyone know if the auto clutch will fit on an LT30 Kohler 25? 
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Bibbyman

Sparks can answer that one in the morning when he gets on...  But if your mill is relatively new, I'm guessing it will.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

stumpy

Thanks Bibby.  By the way, for those of you that have an auto clutch, how do you like it?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

BBTom

Seein as how I gots the 42 Horsey oil burner, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

In other words,  I Love it!!!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Gary_C

Never sawed without it, never want too. Sure it takes some fiddling with the adjustment at times, but lifting those larger engines (33 HP Kubota) without it would not be fun.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Brucer

I installed one last September. It's now mandatory equipment on any mill I buy in the future.

For the first week or so, I'd sometimes find myself reaching for an empty piece of air with my right hand ;D. I also had my left thumb cramp up for a couple of days.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Gary_C on April 26, 2007, 10:52:01 PM
Never sawed without it, never want too. Sure it takes some fiddling with the adjustment at times, but lifting those larger engines (33 HP Kubota) without it would not be fun.  8)

I had a fit figuring out how to adjust the linkage on our AutoClutch.  Then I figured out that I could just move the motor to make main belt adjustment.  I haven't adjusted the AutoClutch linkage in years. That may not be possible with an engine.
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

Auto Clutch will fit 1997 LT30/40 (and LT70) and newer. All remote or command control mills come standard with Auto Clutch. 024636 is the part #. this comes with instructions and all hardware you need to install it. Will fit all electric motor and engines options.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

DR Buck

It's an easy installation.  I added mine about a year and a half ago.   Don't know how I got by without it!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dan_Shade

I love mine.  it will be a high priority if I upgrade again
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

OneWithWood

One of the best additions I made to my mill.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom Sawyer

I love it and would not buy a mill without it.

big_sid

I had a 33 horse kubota for 7 years, it sure took its toll on my arm and shoulder, wouldn't want to get a diesel motor without auto clutch, sure love mine.
never been so happy to be so broke

TexasTimbers

I have a 42 Kubota but my manual clutch must be qadjusted just right because I never think about it. Listening to some of the comments though makes me wonder if I simply don't know what I'm missing. My son struggles a little with it though, and my wife just barely can pull it.
I should probably get one if I want to delegate the cutting more often. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tom

You should do what you can to get rid of that Manual Clutch.  Repetitious injury is part of what destroyed my shoulders.  You don't know how much you need good joints until they are wasted. 

Dave Shepard

I'll second what Tom said about the shoulder joints. I helped out a friend of mine this winter on a masonry job. I could pick up a 200 pound block of marble and carry it anywhere, but it was all I could do to hand a battery operated drill up to him on a ladder. My shoulders are toast.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

I can relate to joint pain and injury. All the way up into my twenties I would show off my Jackie Chan type skills (before I knew who he was) and do running front flips, standing back flips, run up a tree and do a back flip on the way down, jumping off roofs. . . . ad naseaum.
Now, the moron that I was for not listening to my dad "Son you better quit jumping off roofs you'll be sorry when you're older!" is getting paid back in spades. Some mornings I can barely walk and it takes 10 - 15 minutes to get limber enough to walk normal. I'm only 47.

If you tell me my shoulder is going to get trashed by doing this I am going to listen. Throwing the football with my sons is one of the few athletic joys I have left that I can still do half decent, but it too hurts my shoulder sometimes. I just wish I had listened to dad when i was young and dumb. I don't know how Jackie Chan is still going. No way I can do standing back flip anymore. I know because I tried one again recently and nearly broke my fool neck. ::)

Tom

Well, pulling that handle will damage your shoulder.  I will guarantee it.  I'm proof.  Two surgeries later, much therapy and some experimental  injections with little improvement allows me to say to you, "take care of them".

The older you get, the more you need to warm up before you exercise too.  Don't pull the handle  on the mill or throw the football "cold".

That automatic clutch is nothing more than another electric motor like the one that drives the blade guide.  It is well worth whatever they are charging and should be on all mills as standard equipment rather than an option.   The  Manual handle should be only a backup. (just my opinion)

woodbeard

Has anyone ever tried putting one on a pre-'97 mill?
Looks like it would require some creative engineering, but maybe it could be done?
???

Tom

It may, woodbeard, but, really all it is is an electric motor and a cam.  I'll bet it would work on most all of the WoodMizers with the proper mount.  I'd guess a drill would accomplish that.  ;D :)

woodhick

I've been watching this thread and thinking of the upgrade on my manual LT40.  I always thought the autoclutch was just that a clutch that  mounted on the motor and was engaged electrically just like a automobile air conditioning pump.  After reading Tom's last post I'm not sure?  Is it really a clutch or just a motor and cam that do the job of the hand lever?  I agree with Tom on the repetitive motion can destroy joints.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Dan_Shade

it's a small motor that rotates and pushes the arms/rods that the lever pushes to engage the engine.

it basically replaces the arm.

I'm not sure what it costs, but it sure is nice!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodhick

Anyone have a picture of the schematic or breakdown of parts for this option? 
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Bibbyman

jpgreen had an interesting mod on his LT40.  He added a spring from a car hood hinge to his mill to take the weight off the engine off the pull of the lever.

Here is a link to his post.

Here's my "JP Clutch"... an LT40 Five Minute- 50 cent fix for your Machine!...
Sawing since '94

TexasTimbers

Like Woodhick, I would like to see a photo of an automatic clutch. I can envision one but I'd like to see what they look like for sure.  The WM website does not show a picture of the clutch itself. Just the toggle switch that operates it.
I want to say i got a quote of right at $600 when I priced it once on a whim while n the phone with WM one day.

DWM II

I'm sitting here aching this morning and now I know why. Sawed out 95 2x6x16 this weekend and hauled and burned the slabs. The flitches are stacked ready to trim, but I wonder just how many times I pulled that lever engageing that blade? ??? One of these days when I get that new mill it will have some new bells and whistles the ole '91 aint got. 8)
Stewardship Counts!

woodbeard

This page: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7057.20
Has a post by Pigman, with some pics of the auto clutch.

Thank You Sponsors!