iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

doyle bdft$

Started by TravisP, April 30, 2007, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravisP

I am new to the forum and to sawing lumber. Hope to get mill in next 2 weeks  8) 8)wanted to buy some 16' pine logs from tree surgen. If I use the doyle scale what is an average price per M bdft. I am in located north east Fl.
Learning to saw and loving it

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Travis. 

Most Tree Surgeons would be happy to find a place where they could "get rid" of logs much less sell them.  We've found that it can be one of those "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" types of relationships utill one or the other begins to abuse it.  You, and they, have to be aware that you don't want logs with metal, nor do you want the trash from the tops, etc.   Unless, of course, you can come up with some way of disposing of it for them.

If you have a trailer and a means of pulling it, you will be surprised at the number of free logs of  varying species you can find just by paying attention as you drive around. There are a lot of building sites where the trees are chipped or burned at a cost to the developer.  You must be prompt, but you can cut down on a lot of their disposal volume.  :)

TravisP

Thanks Tom for the info.  I know quite a few tree surgeons.  I will talk to some to see if we can help each other out. The guy  I am dealing with is selling wood to a pulp wooder right now.  It is real nice pine. All of it is 18'' to 30'' straight pine, 16.5' long,  about 50 logs.                                                                                       

GregS

Hello Travis,
Good luck with the new mill....what kind?

Up here in western NY if the logs are that nice and not full of metal you can expect to pay $150-$200/mbf.  Be careful paying too much because as Tom says suburban yard stuff can be valued just on the transportation cost due to the hidden treasures buried inside  :D.  I do pay $150/mbf for nice hand picked logs from one pre-developer logger here in town (I transport them).  Good luck! 

Greg

brdmkr

Travis

Our local log yard is not even buying pine right now.  Prices have fluctuated between 40.00 and 50.00/ton until they quit buying.  On the Doyle scale, this would be about 200/Mbf.  I have one tree surgeon who brings me logs.  He drops off logs and in return, when he needs lumber he gets it.  Like Tom says, it works great as long as neither of us try to take advantage of the other.  So far it has worked out great.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

TravisP

I am goin to get a used woodmizer LT70 Thank yall for all the information it is a big help. I have tried to read as much of the old page on different subjects before I became a member. some times I would read ontill I felt like I was cross eyed then call it a night . Thanks again I have got a lot 2 learn. But I think I have found a great place to learn                                                                                                                                 TravisP

Thank You Sponsors!