iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut sycamore 1st time

Started by Qweaver, May 05, 2007, 03:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I sawed a 14',  very straight 20" dia sycamore today.  The tree had been down and stacked for about 8 months.  The bark was loose enough that I was able to knock it off with the pressure washer.  It was very easy to saw and the wood looked great.  I sawed it to a cant and then just thru & thru at 4/4.  I'm really anxious to see how it moves as it dries.  Do we have a guide to wood characteristics on the forum?  I have one bookmarked on my other computer but did not find a good one with a google search.  I have a lot of these size trees and I'd like to make use of them if I can.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tom

We don't have one except for the information held in the posts (pretty extensive), but in the knowledge base is the wood handbook, produced by the outfit in Madison where Jeff and the rest of the Redwood tree cutting crew visited.  Read the first chapter to get some information on specific species traits and the Third Chapter to determine the type of figure from Flat Sawing or Quarter Sawing.  It's in a chart with short descriptions.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm

Thank You Sponsors!