iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How should I saw this Red Bay? Pics added!

Started by Ocklawahaboy, September 29, 2014, 09:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

I picked up this little log the other day.    I couldn't find any real threads about sawing Red Bay.  How should I saw this?  Will flat sawing work ok or do I need to go to the trouble of QS with my manual mill?  I also asked the oracle for photos of Red Bay lumber and got nothing.  Hopefully I didn't drag a truckload of uncut firewood halfway across the state but I'm always up for a new adventure and couldn't resist.  Any advice is welcome.

Nomad

I found a pic attributed to HobbitHouse, but couldn't find the pic on that site myself.  Not bad looking wood.  The pic was flat sawn.  Sounds to me like the wood was used for interior trim on ships, among other things.  All in all, I'd say nice catch!!!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ellmoe

To me, the wood looks a lot like mahogany. I sold a fair amount of it before the big "cypress" mulch grinders started buying it.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: ellmoe on September 30, 2014, 06:53:41 AM
   To me, the wood looks a lot like mahogany.
So I may want to find a way to go buy the big logs the guy had.  this was the 2nd smallest one I think.  IF this monsoon ever breaks, ill get it loaded on the mill and take a couple of slices to see what I think.

mesquite buckeye

Persea borbonia a member of the Laurel Family native to the Gulf and Atlantic coasts from Texas to Virginia. Grows to 60'.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ocklawahaboy

Finally got to attack the bay. 

Here is me getting it out of the truck the old fashioned way.  Had to jack the truck up a little to get the tailgate at the right height and then go to work on the comealong. 

It's not very often I get to have a 12" x 12" x12' cant on the manual mill

Turned out some of the purdiest wood I've sawn.

I've got to get me some more of that!

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Ocklawahaboy

You can rotate your pics, if you want to, when you post them. Look for the "rotate" tab when you click on them in your gallery just under and to the left of your pic.
Should also be able to go to your post and click on "modify" and get them right if you want them to be any different.
Seems the new cameras nowadays do not have a clue what is up and down or sideways.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 04, 2014, 11:43:23 PM
Does the color hold? ??? ??? ??? ???

I have no idea.  It looks like it should though.

dchiapin

Ocklawaha boy, I am just north of you in Melrose, I have a bunch of Loblolly Bay to saw, FF  won't let me Type in Loblolly Bay (Gordonia lasianthus) I see in the earlier post you sawing swamp red bay. Was wondering how it turned out flat sawing. Did it twist and turn or behave good? Did it dry nice? Would like to use this for interior paneling. Sure is some beautiful wood you sawed. I think the Gordonia lasianthus will be quit similar as far as color of the wood and the way it responds to sawing

Jeff

Its pretty easy to turn your photos after you upload them and before you post them. Its much easier on your fellow member's necks.

am I wrong or is that cream color dote?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dchiapin

well it turns out the site did correct itself on the not letting me type in the lobby bay

starmac

I wa raised in Texas, but can't recall ever even hearing of red bay, or LOBLOLLY bay either one?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

btulloh

New to me.  Beautiful.  I'm interested to see how the color holds up.
HM126

Jeff

I now see this topic is almost two years old and the original poster has been gone that long as well. I fixed the crooked photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Quote from: starmac on March 02, 2018, 07:58:08 PM
I wa raised in Texas, but can't recall ever even hearing of red bay, or LOBLOLLY bay either one?
Both good old Southern wetland species.  The flowers of Gordonia lasianthus are very showy, magnolia-like.  It does not grow in Texas.  Just like hogs for BBQ :)
Gordonia lasianthus Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

In Texas, they eschew hogs for BBQ, if that is what you are referring to?  :)

starmac

We generally did not bbq whole hogs, but sure did a lot of pork.
Some folks did bbq whole pigs, and we did pretty much bbq whole hogs (just cut up) in big pits we would dig every now and then.

At what points is there western range, I actually spent a lot of time in La, and even FL, but may have seen them and just not knowing what I was looking at.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!