Started by iroczu, September 17, 2014, 07:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawTroll

Quote from: Paul_H on September 19, 2014, 10:43:24 PM
You got up at 3;30 am in Norway to post that? Go back to bed  :D

:) Was up anyway!
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

It's like the 056's are the same family. But there again the Magnum has differences in the crankcase.

SawTroll

Quote from: ZeroJunk on September 20, 2014, 02:03:53 PM
It's like the 056's are the same family. But there again the Magnum has differences in the crankcase.

yes, but it doesn't take much work to put a Magnum top end on a Super. I don't know how much it takes on the 038.
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

You have to slot the cylinder screw holes, maybe mill out some of the crankcase for piston clearance. Big thing would be getting everything centered. I have never done it and don't know how difficult it would be.

To me it is just something you just have to want to do.

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

The last 038 Mag I bought was in 1985, in 1986 I was looking at buying another for a logging saw. But by then the 064 was introduced.
It didn't take me long to decide which one to buy.
The first 064's on the market in 1986 sported 85cc, 6.5 h.p at 14.1 lb........lighter then todays MS460's.
Versus the 038 Magnum at 72cc, 4.8h.p. and weighing in at 14.6 lbs.

I was logging as a faller on piecework pay rate...... felling, limbing and topping small to medium sized timber for 2 line skidders on level ground..... the 064 with 18"-20" b/c was the superior choice over the 038 Mag.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ZeroJunk

Yeah, Randy is pretty sharp. Has the tools too.

It's just not like putting an 036 cylinder kit on an 034 etc., which even a dummy like me can do.

iroczu

Well let's bring back the dead! I never ended up buying that last saw as I wanted to, but.... I did pick up a 038 super locally the other weekend. Seen better days cosmetically, meet the seller it ran so purchased it, $150cdn which I thought wasnt bad when a couple days earlier I was bored and was goong to drive 4 hours to pick up a ms390 for $300cdn    but the seller backed out to meeting up last minute. So... this 038 super had a worn out and wrong bar on it, wrong chain for the bar also. Brought it home picked up a 25 inch bar and a stihl rsf chain retuned the carb and runs decent hard starter so going to rebuild the carb and replace impulse and fuel lines. Ran it through some fire wood did great, ran it through a 21 inch cotton wood against dads 2 year old ms291 with same bar and chain combo and did good 5 seconds faster, and did a compression test on a cold cylinder and produced 130 psi so not horrible but not great

009L with the 038avs before changing the bar. My only now 2 goto saws 

sawguy21

I wish they still offered the 009L, great firewood saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

iroczu

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 29, 2020, 11:30:36 AM
I wish they still offered the 009L, great firewood saw.

It's been a great saw so far have had it for the last 3 years, comes hunting and quadding with me also due to how reliable it has been.  But also why picked  up the 038super since my pm610 kicked the bucket the 009L was taking too much time felling and  bucking for the little bit of fire wood I do cut, so the 038 certainly hauls some ass especially with the 25 inch bar and skip tooth

Al_Smith

The 038 series is likely one of the better designs Stihl ever made .As far as weight I'm one day short of 72 years old and I don't find them overly  heavy 
These are not the trim the apple tree in the back yard once a year types  .When they were made from the info I've heard they were front line felling saws in the PNW on the second growth timber on the slopes from previous old growth  that required much larger saws . 
They are robust and short of straight gassing them kind of hard to kill but will require a rebuild eventually and when that happens parts are available .I know Stihl made a million of them and they will likely be in service for decades to come .My favorite of course is the 72 cc Stihl 038 Magnum . 

iroczu

I may rebuild it when I get bored and something to do, I was looking at magnum  top ends or found reputable after market kit made for the 038 super bolt pattern but a big bore boosting it to 72cc instead of the 71? Magnum top end, in all reality I dont need any bigger and I rarely need anything his size to start with but since my promac died I got accustomed to mid sized saws even for fire wood or helping dad split his logs for chainsaw carving  and I found the 009L works but takes considerably longer lol plus .... I'm horrible for tinkering with things 😂 shes old, shea not pretty  but it defintely hauls some ass. 
For anyone bored and want to see the ms291 vs 038 super both 25 inch bars both equipped with the stihl rsf chains both new heres the link to the video

Stihl Ms291 vs stihl 038av super - YouTube

Al_Smith

;) Nice vid but I could have predicted the out come before I saw the vid clip . 8)

iroczu

Lol ya it defintely wasnt going to be rocket science, thought then 038 would have pulled away a bit quicker though

Al_Smith

It doesn't take much to get some more pep out of any of the 038 models .I've got an AV plus a Mag I've added a little soup to .I also have a completely stock 038 Mag I rebuilt having served over 20 years of hard service for a tree company .It does a good job also .

iroczu

Ya I mean I'm not tossing great compression numbers but could be alot worst when I get bored I may order that top end kit I was mentioning, but way it sits piston is clean as heck, cylinder appears to have minor scoring but with its age its also expected. I'll clean it up bit by bit probably be the last 2 saws i buy unless find a good deal on a 440 or 660 which i really absolutely do not need but ... bigger  is always better even if you use it only for bragging rights 😂 around my area this 038 is more then enough for someone like myself 

Thank You Sponsors!