iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Considering port work on Stihl 362

Started by dsroten, December 21, 2018, 09:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

I really like the 1980's 064 air filter setup on the 066 without the intelli air compensation setup.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mike_belben

Quote from: ehp on December 25, 2018, 05:29:00 PM
ya lots of chains videos on youtube and lots of other guys using chains . 
Link?  
Praise The Lord

Greyhound

Quote from: dsroten on December 21, 2018, 09:30:23 AM
I've got a Stihl 362 that has been a decent saw, but just lacks a little power it seems.  I guess when I got my 660 it really made the 362 seem like a slug but I know that isnt fair.  

At any rate, I've been considering shipping off my 362 for a woods porting, but am wondering if its gonna be worth the cost, or would I be better off to trade it off and pick up a 440/460/461 something in that size range.  I use it mostly for bucking logs at landing but it backs up my 660 as stump saw from time to time.

Anybody have a experiences that might help me decide?
It's kind of a tough choice between a ported MS362 and an MS461.  FWIW, I own an 026, ported MS261CM, ported MS361and ported MS461. I REALLY like my MS461, even before it was ported.After porting and modifying to high-output oiler it's amazing. But it is definitely heavier than the MS361.   It will easily pull and oil a 32" full comp, full chisel bar and chain in hardwood.  

If I were you, I would lean toward selling the MS362 get the MS461.  It's a very good saw stock.  Save up some $ and get it ported down the road.  Then the MS660 will "feel like a slug."  That said, no one would ever fault you for porting your MS362 either.  My ported MS361 is probably the "best" single saw I own, but it's quite a different bird from the MS362.  Maybe go to your local dealer and handle the MS461 and your MS362 and go with whichever one "feels" the best in your hands.  

Dave Shepard

If these ported saws will outcut a 395, then I guess what I need is a ported 395. :D

I'm running an 8 pin on a stock 395 running a new Stihl RS. I had to take 3 strokes off the rakers to wake it up some. I'm cutting brush and small trees right now. I think in larger hardwood,  a 7 pin, and another couple strokes off the rakers would cut smoother. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ehp

Im not a sponsor here nor do I want any saw work from here or any where else so with that I am not posting videos on here , I log full time but did saw porting full time for quite a few years , now I just port mainly my own stuff or friends that need saws done . Now back to the 362, a ported 362 will out cut a ported 361 mainly cause the 362 can be made to produce more torque than a 361 can , 361 can be made into a faster cookie cutter but for a everyday logging saw the 362 is a better choice but if it was me I would trade the 362 in or sell it and just buy say the 462 , Its a lot like running the 362 just better

teakwood

Quote from: ehp on December 27, 2018, 08:25:12 PMbut for a everyday logging saw the 362 is a better choice

I'm interested in this comment. I use two 361 (muffler mod) for professional use in my plantations, i really love the saws, they are light and have decent power. For the next thinning in 3years with bigger trees i will upgrade to a 462.
I think i read here from some members that the 362 is way slower than the 361 and feels clumsier and fatter. You seem to love the 362 better. Is that because you modded them and like the 362 more? How about stock?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

I have a pretty much brandnew 361 and have owned most likely 15 or so, If you cutting smaller trees say 16 inch on the stump or so the 361 is a better saw, but in bigger timber the 362 will cut faster cause of the new design engine , it produces more torque compared to rpms that the 361 . But the 361 to me feels better in my hands compared to the 362. If I get a red pine bush I got to cut I run the smaller saws cause most trees are 20 inch or less on stump . The newer engine designs cut bigger hardwood better with less engine heat so will last longer . Ported now it depends on what you want, a cookie cutter to show off to your buddies the 361 is better but a ported 362 will cut faster in bigger hardwood and last longer doing it , Ported 362 power band will be in the 12,200 to 12,500 rpms , Ported 361 can be that or higher and that depends on the porting , 13200 to 13500 power band and running on pump gas the operator has to watch very close on whats he is doing , Lean burn is right there , out of the wood you will be up at 17,000 rpms and that's about the limit unless you want to pull the crank out and get everything balanced perfect

HolmenTree

Quote from: dsroten on December 21, 2018, 09:30:23 AM
I've got a Stihl 362 that has been a decent saw, but just lacks a little power it seems.  I guess when I got my 660 it really made the 362 seem like a slug but I know that isnt fair.  

At any rate, I've been considering shipping off my 362 for a woods porting, but am wondering if its gonna be worth the cost, or would I be better off to trade it off and pick up a 440/460/461 something in that size range.  I use it mostly for bucking logs at landing but it backs up my 660 as stump saw from time to time.

Anybody have a experiences that might help me decide?
dsroten, I decided to bump this excellent thread you started. Lots of good reading here.
So have you made any decisions what your going to do?

ehp

I pretty much have made my mind up to take the 362 out of the truck and get another 462 to go alone with 2 - 461's and the other 462 I carry . I am liking the 462 quite abit , its light , makes decent power and for me its a better saw to have on hand than the 362 for my kind of work , 362 is a great saw but so far the 462 is just better for me

MG2186

ehp

I tried posting a couple times but nothing never happened

ehp

I just built myself a new 562 with heated handles . Porting is pretty hot in it and mainly want saw when I end up cutting a pile of pine

Mad Professor

Quote from: ehp on December 23, 2018, 05:14:27 PM
I do not run a 8 pin gear on any of my 70's cc saws . We have tested that tons of times and video tape it lots to show people that what they think is going on is not . Even using a 20 inch bar on a 372 if you file your chain proper the 7 pin will always out cut the 8 pin if cutting hardwood like hard maple or oak . Im not talking a brandnew chain out of the box cause they do not cut and you will not see me falling timber with something unfiled , I gain a lot just filing the chain to make it cut .
Check out this 034S running an 8-pin in hardwood.  Note the chips a flying!

Also a good example of tuning Hi by ear/sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWst-5I_P0

ehp

ya and its turning about 2500 rpms less in the cut than it should be once under load and listen to how the motor sounds . Its producing a ton of heat because your making it lug . You go ahead and run your 8 pin, I will stay with 7 pin, I have seen guys run 9 or 10 pin gears on saws , they thought it was faster but on video it was not  

HolmenTree

Yep my 395XP came from the factory with a 7 pin 3/8" rim sprocket for good reason.

Work saw with a round filed chisel chain no matter what cc 7 pin is the best.
Race chisel bit chain thinned out, cutter square filed half ways back, .015 lowered depth gauges you can get by with a 8 pin fine in smaller logs with a work saw.
But round filed chisel chain sucks the power out of todays high revving work saws.

Race saws....I once had a Stihl 090 I raced that was ported etc on a tune pipe. Madsens from the PNW saw pictures of my small logs we cut in our contests. They said you need a 11 pin sprocket on the 090, I believed them and got beat by the Mac 101's race after race.
Then I found out they were running 7 and 8 pin sprockets on the Macs, I put a 7 on the 090 and was then beating them or keeping up to them.

My 40 horse YZ125 bike saw I run a 11 pin sprocket. Works good for big and smaller wood.

HolmenTree

My brother Dennis here ran a 7 pin on his Mac 101, he was getting times in the low 4 second range in 3 cuts with cold start included.
His saw has a 34mm carb and the pipe has a inverted stinger.
Look at them chips fly.

Mad Professor

Quote from: ehp on January 11, 2019, 07:14:03 AM
ya and its turning about 2500 rpms less in the cut than it should be once under load and listen to how the motor sounds . Its producing a ton of heat because your making it lug . You go ahead and run your 8 pin, I will stay with 7 pin, I have seen guys run 9 or 10 pin gears on saws , they thought it was faster but on video it was not  
Did ya look at the video?  The saw has a tach on board and it's doing 11,500 in the cut.

So you want to spin a 034S at 14,000 rpm?   kaboom!!!

Mad Professor

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 11, 2019, 09:32:54 AM
My brother Dennis here ran a 7 pin on his Mac 101, he was getting times in the low 4 second range in 3 cuts with cold start included.
His saw has a 34mm carb and the pipe has a inverted stinger.
Look at them chips fly.

But how did he finish the cuts, after the chamber hit the cant? :o

Mad Professor

Quote from: ehp on January 11, 2019, 07:14:03 AM
Yea, sometimes ya need a 7-pin.
And those 034/036 don't have any torque either........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qloDTRpxirw

HolmenTree

Quote from: Mad Professor on January 11, 2019, 02:39:35 PM

But how did he finish the cuts, after the chamber hit the cant?

Seriously!! :D

ehp

its not turning 11500 in the cut when your leaning on it , Im talking the fastest way threw the block not making a video of a saw screaming doing nothing in the cut , Hell Man, over half the 0-81cc methanol /nitro stock appearing  saws are running a 8 pin so your going to tell me a saw of 60cc or less on pump gas is going to cut faster running a 8 pin and next time put the saw in some real wood, not that paper soft stuff , that's about like cutting white pine

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

Quote from: Mad Professor on January 11, 2019, 02:39:35 PM

But how did he finish the cuts, after the chamber hit the cant?

Those Mac pipes are offset away from the power head to allow clearance from the log.
Here's two pictures from 1982 at The  Pas, Manitoba Canada during their winter festival.
In the  first pic is me with my 090 and my 2 brothers Dennis and Cliff in the back with their Mac 101's. All three of us were timber fallers at the time.
The guy with the red hat cutting with the 3rd Mac 101 is Jack Quinn a skiddder operator from the area. His cutting skills shows as he cut into a line on the log and was disqualified.
Last picture is brother Dennis winning it.

ehp

who built the 090, I know Marcel sent a couple 090's out that way

HolmenTree

Quote from: ehp on January 12, 2019, 09:53:59 AM
who built the 090, I know Marcel sent a couple 090's out that way
Ed,  I built it myself. Madsens  built the pipe did the cylinder.
I fitted a 100cc kart reed valve manifold on it and put boost ports on the piston skirt. Then installed the 34mm Mikuni alky carb. This was my very first hotsaw build. Trouble was I was running a 11 pin sprocket on it and never won many races.
As last picture shows at the time our competition was a 400cc Husqvarna dirt bike saw built by Husky dealer Jim Hayes from White Fox, Saskatchewan.

Thank You Sponsors!