iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sandhill cranes

Started by JV, February 19, 2018, 04:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

We really enjoy our front porch weather permitting.  60 degrees out this afternoon so we sat out there for awhile watching nature.  I heard them first and shortly spotted two flights headed north.  Sure hope that's a sign of spring.

8)
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DPatton

They start arriving here in Nebraska soon if not already. They will congregate by the thousands along the Platte River during March and April on their spring migration. People come here from all over the country (and the world for that matter) to watch their annual migration and breeding rituals along that portion of the interstate 80 corridor. Nebraska is one of the few places where they cannot be hunted. I believe it's because we are the major breading location for their species. They are quite the spectacle to watch during their mating period.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Texas Ranger

saw a flock recently on Galveston Island, grand birds.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I have eaten Sandhill Crane but I could not get past thinking about Herons and Egrets and stuff like that.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JV

I like to watch them flying in big circles to gain altitude.  You can hear the usually before you can see them. We are near the main flight path.  The Jasper-Pulaski Wildlife Area in northern Indiana is a stop over for thousands of birds.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

starmac

I have never eaten them, but have heard they are tasty. I do know folks that would not miss a season on them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

trapper

No season on them here and the farmers hate them because of the damage they do to crops.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ron Scott

Michigan is currently considering having a season on them.
~Ron

Jeff

Its near 50° here the last day of February, only snow is the piles from being plowed. I'm out working in the flower garden cutting back roses and old growth and raking, and what do I hear?  I look up and there they are. 3 Sandhill Cranes winging their way North and talking as they go.  I am guessing the odd one was young from last season with no mate, or, a lost mate.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Grizzly

I expect we'll have a couple of pairs spending the summer with us like the past few years. I don't see them with young and always seem to be pairs. They can be noisy but usually pleasant to listen to. The folks we bought the place from said they tried eating them and once was enough. They'd rather put work into a duck for the little bit of meat than to put crane on the table. I've never tried it and until populations require a thinning I don't expect to.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Stoneyacrefarm

We have a nesting pair with young that have been coming up every year for the past 4 years now. 
They are not normally this Far East in western mass. 
I was told they were probably blown off course in a storm. 
It gets a lot of people stopping for a look when they are around. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

petefrom bearswamp

They taste a lot like Spotted Owl and Bald Eagle.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

DPatton

Yea, during our vacation in the U.P. it surprised me how often we would come across them along the side of the road eating gravel late in the day. Such a different behavior than what we get to see during their short stay in Nebraska each year.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

petefrom bearswamp

Never heard of these critters until late 1990s when visiting our kids in Wisconsin.
Took my grandsons to look for deer and there were 2 on the far end of a field.
My first thought was, to paraphrase a kids term, WTH are they?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!