iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 490e

Started by Cub, March 31, 2018, 10:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cub

A local guy here has his John Deere 490e up for sale. 4 roller fabtek head. 35,000. What do you guys think of that kind of set up and is the price in line?

BargeMonkey

I don't know much about a 4 roller, we have owned all the Deere excavator models from a straight 490, 490D, 490E, 120, 590D. We had some idle issues with the harness on the 490E, mode switches would act up, all and all it wasn't a bad machine. Is it a factory Fabtek conversion ? If you can keep good chain on them that's the biggest thing. I see a couple of them going for 30-40k on forestry equipment sales, the market is kind of saturated for that size machine, 

Cub

Yes it's a factory conversion. That setup is pretty popular around here. Fabtek was originally about 20 miles from me. What size timber can a guy cut with those machines? Are they mostly a pulp machine? I'm not familiar at all with processors. I still work with saws. But something I want to consider in the next 5 years. 

Southside

I have a Fabtek on a 490d, as far as size goes, 20" DBH is fine, you can get by with a bit more but the dance gets complicated.  They like straight wood, limby hardwood can be managed but production drops way down. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Cub

Even if production dropped down in limby hardwood wouldn't it still be better than bucking and limbing with a saw? I have no clue so just trying to get some ideas. Thanks guys. 

Southside

Better, well that depends on what is better. Low grade logs, pulp, yes it generates more revenue per hour and is easier on you physically. 

Where it can be a pain is when you have a nice grade log and 5 ft past that in the next log is a fork or big limb, you can't measure and cut the good log as the fork won't get beyond the stripper knives, so you have to get creative with the head to cut out the limb, or hand cut those. 

Overall they are a good machine when working in their happy spot, and the price tag makes it affordable. 

It's a tool in the toolbox. I don't fell much with it anymore, I found it much more economical to put a buncher ahead of the Fabtek and let each machine do what it does best. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

The hardest things to make yourself do when you get up in the cab of a machine.. Is to get out and do it the old way.  

Many times i have been in the bobcat chasing around and dropping (often until i wreck) something i shoulda just got out and picked up.  Same with a scrap shear.  Once youre in that thing, the thought of dragging out tools or torches becomes icky. 

Yet its often the right thing to do. 
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Most fabtek 4 rollers I see around here (and the one I ran briefly) have a bar welded on top of the head 8` up from the saw so that you can grab a stem backwards and still measure out an 8ft stick and buck up to a crotch or fork.

Used to do that with the dangle head I ran only you put the top knife at the last cut then zero out the computer and feed backwards a set distance then cut. More time consuming that just feeding and bucking but still way faster than a chainsaw. 

Also you learn how to cut the bigger limbs/forks/tops out with the saw instead of trying to shear them off. 

Cub

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not looking to buy 1 now. As the funds aren't there. Just snowballing my thoughts and looking for opinions. Most of the grade logs around here are still hand felled and bucked the same. Lots of the hardwood is way to big for mechanical harvesting. It's definitely something I want to do in the next 5 years. Cheap machine like that. That way it can sit if I get something it can't handle and it doesn't hurt as bad when it's not on a job. I only do this part time. 

Skeans1

I know with our alder I can push our 4 roller pretty good you double cut just like you would with any other head. One place to check over real good is the pins for the roller arms they'll wear on the frame causing the pin to snap the 3/4" x 5.5" long bolts off loosing the pin as well as the timing of the arms. If you get one or want to see the manuals for one let me know.

mike_belben

Quote from: Cub on April 01, 2018, 10:40:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I'm not looking to buy 1 now. As the funds aren't there. Just snowballing my thoughts and looking for opinions. Most of the grade logs around here are still hand felled and bucked the same. Lots of the hardwood is way to big for mechanical harvesting. It's definitely something I want to do in the next 5 years. Cheap machine like that. That way it can sit if I get something it can't handle and it doesn't hurt as bad when it's not on a job. I only do this part time.
Is there anyone else mechanical harvesting in your proximity yet?  As your big timber shrinks, the pay rate on hand falling will shrink and force operators to go CTL in order to offset the shrinking footage with increased rate of production.  It pays to be ahead of the pack.  
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Lots of feller bunchers, but there is no mechanical selective cut.  Those guys are only doing clearcuts, or we have a few old solo guys with skidders and a logging truck.  Not much in between.
Liking Walnut

Cub

I think everyone around here is ctl. Lots of harvester/processors. Farm I worked for had a John Deere cable machine. I run saws and a forwarder. Some of that left. The older guys. Just a guy a saw and an iron mule. Very few. Even select cut pine plantations is mechanical. 

Thank You Sponsors!