iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fix the LTAGA Sharpener or Buy a New CBN Sharpener?

Started by Mountain_d, November 28, 2017, 12:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain_d

I have been in the FF for a while now, but over in the Logging and Chainsaw forms.  I just purchased a new-to-me LT40HD (1995) and find this Sawmilling form very interesting!  A LTAGA sharpener came with the mill, but the previous owner said the auto-sharp control box is non functional.  Woodmizer gave me a replacement price for the box at $400 plus (Canadian).  Those of you that have sharpening experience, if you were me, would you fix the LTAGA or take the $400 and put it towards a new CBN sharpener?  If you think CBN is the way to go, would you get the BMST50 (manual) at $1800 Canadian or the BMS250 (automatic) at $2700 Canadian?  At this point I am mostly sawing for myself and would likely sharpen about 50 blades a year.  In a few years I plan to do some custom work.  I would be ok with the slower rate of sharpening the BMST50, but am curious if there is much difference in the quality of sharpening between the manual and automatic CBN sharpeners?  Are there other companies make sharpeners?  I see Cooks do, but I think they are not CBN wheels?  One more angle, I may be able to get a retired instrumentation tech to check the board for me, but I cannot find a schematic for the printed circuit board.  Woodmizer does not have it.  Anyone out there every repair the printed circuit board on the auto-sharp control box?  Maybe a resistor or something is bad and can be soldered in by someone with those talents - not me that is for sure!
Thanks and looking forward to hearing back.
Mountain D

1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

starmac

I have been looking at those sharpeners, and if I understand it right, the manual is a combo, it comes with a setter, and the auto does not.
I have not heard any differences in the quality of their performance, but have no first hand experience.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

YellowHammer

I've had a drag sharpener and now have a BMS250.  It's a fine machine, I wish I had bought it first. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LeeB

For only 50 blades a year you may be better served to use a resharp service. That said, if you have a sharpener you will likely find that you sharpen more often and get better cuts. I can't speak to the CBN sharpener, don't have one. I do have an old LTAGA that I no longer use since getting a Cooks that came along with my mill when I bought it used several years ago.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

CBN in an oil bath is the way to go. Or Wood Mizer resharp.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bandmill Bandit

i would not want to be with out my CBN system. It works well and is easy to work with
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Percy

For 50 blades a year(1 a week), my choice would be the BMST50. I have the BMS250 and its great as I sharpen as many as 10 a day, but for your application, its like going for groceries in a dragster. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Stephen1

Sharpening service is few and far between in the great white north.
For 50 blades get the manual CBN setter/sharpener. Some one will always buy the CBN used if you ever want to upgrade.
I had the LTAGA for 7 years and wish I had gotten rid of it sooner. I have the BMS250 and the CBN is like a new blade every sharpen.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DARRELL1972

I have the BMS250. I love it. We sharpen 7 of 8 blades a week. We looked at getting the BMS50 but we already had a setter. I think if  I were you I'd go with the 50.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

terrifictimbersllc

I have the BMS250 and wouldn't  consider putting $400 into an old grinder.   Dont know about the BMS50 but the 250 is a well designed machine and pleasure to use.   If it gets old it should still be a great machine and hold its value, there isnt much that could be improved about it.  Dont know about the LTAGA but I had the LTAGA-CBN (shop series it was also called) and the BMS250 is way better.  You might also discover that you should really be sharpening your blades more often, once it becomes easy.  Some new things dont really cost more, if you compare them to the real costs of the old things. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

The learning curve to become a professional "sharpener operator" is kinda steep but once you get where you sharpen new blades BEFORE you use em you know you've nailed it. 

I DON'T sharpen the 7° carbides out of the box but all other get set and sharpened out of the box before they see the mill. 

I don't think I could accomplish that quality of sharpening with out the CBN system.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!