iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead trees everywhere.....

Started by LOGDOG, April 06, 2012, 10:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Now that all of the trees are leafed out we are seeing how many tree died as a result of the drought last year. It's astounding. Sad really. Everywhere I drive around NW LA there are more dead trees than you can shake a stick out. Hardwoods and Pine. It'd be a great year to be a tree surgeon here. Lots of sawing to be had if a person could get to them before they turn, but our stuff ...especially the pine turns fast here in the heat. Tons of dead oaks.... Are any of you guys in the South seeing the same things by you?

Magicman

I have not had a chance to go through my woods yet.  Hopefully, I did not loose many.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Taylortractornut

I lost a few trees to beetles.   But  my big thing that got me was the fact we got some good rain but   I still lost a Quaking aspen.      It was one of a group of trees i n the yard.  Its been here as long as I have been.    I think it my have been its time.   I lost one near it last year a  post oak I cut fell on the smaller tree and it  bowed it over. It lived about a year then died.           THis tree   touched the  larger one now dead tree.    It hasnt  leaved out yet but I thing I see some buds.   The rest have already come in.    This tree is  around 32 years old.    Its got some volunteers around it.  I will give it a few weeks   then if it doesnt  sprout its  going to a mill.
My overload permit starts after sunset

GoStumpy

Getting a saw (tomorrow hopefully) for the first time, I've never noticed how many dead trees there are around my neighborhood!  (Pine beetle kill)

Time to test it out ;)

samandothers

Gostumpy
Welcome to the forum.  As someone in the market for a saw you should do a thread on your saw and the search you went through.

Magicman

GoStumpy, You become a FF member and have a Birthday the same week.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  You are really on a roll.  Happy Birthday.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GoStumpy

haha!  Thanks!  Wife told me she's buying me a chainsaw for my birthday this year, I suppose thats why my joining and my birthday co-insided like that :)

tcsmpsi

Our electric co-op spent millions on cutting trees during/after the drought, hopefully to keep the busted lines to a minimum.  Today, there are many, many still left.  I spent a lot of time keeping mine cut down and harvested as they died.  Certainly, the most notable, singular thinning I've had. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

JohnW

Oh no, GoStumpy.  Don't let your wife buy you a saw.  Just say that's okay Honey, I'll get it.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: JohnW on April 07, 2012, 10:27:17 PM
Oh no, GoStumpy.  Don't let your wife buy you a saw.  Just say that's okay Honey, I'll get it.
:D :D :D :D Make sure you're in on the process!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

GoStumpy

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 08, 2012, 02:11:50 AM
Quote from: JohnW on April 07, 2012, 10:27:17 PM
:D :D :D :D Make sure you're in on the process!

I left a Husqvarna flyer opened with my saw circled 10 times as a subtle hint ;) :D

Woodwalker

Quote from: tcsmpsi on April 07, 2012, 08:04:46 PM
Our electric co-op spent millions on cutting trees during/after the drought, hopefully to keep the busted lines to a minimum.  Today, there are many, many still left.   
They are still cutting out this way. Came thru here about two weeks ago. I think they are working about 10-12 men crew, leap frogging each other as they cut. GF said they are averaging 160 a day.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

LOGDOG

ouachita

In November and December I contracted a logging crew to harvest 45 truckloads of drought killed pine timber from 131 acres in Plantersville, Texas about 70 miles NW of Houston.  There was 3 truckloads of live pine timber in the mix.  When everything got said and done and 2 contracts later when dead timber prices dropped even further, my client averaged $3.96/ton.

Charles Westmoreland CF, RF
Consulting Forester in Arkansas and Texas

Buck

Sounds like hurricane salvage prices :-\
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

LOGDOG

Wow .... just goes to show a person that you can in fact leave trees stand too long. They don't live forever.

WDH

LOGDOG,

I have lost at least 100 trees.  I am still finding them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Quote from: LOGDOG on April 08, 2012, 10:37:44 AM
160 trees per day?

...and hardly noticeable.  I have seen and still do, a lot of folks hoping the co-op will get to their trees before they fall.  Pretty dangerous gamble in a lot of instances.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on April 09, 2012, 09:12:25 AM
LOGDOG,

A lot of my smaller ones (8" or less..or so), I let go.  Some are still letting go.
I have a lot down on the ground, now...and, across fence in several spots.  Lot of fence fixin'...one of these days.  :)

LOGDOG

LOGDOG,

I would guess that I've got somewhere around that many. Went for a walk yesterday. Easy to see the gray, naked limbs of the trees we've lost. Lots of firewood this year. Unfortunately that doesn't do much for me livin' in the South.

tcsmpsi

It is 'odd', now, as the ground is as saturated as I have ever seen it on the homestead. 

beenthere

:D :D

Had to read that a couple times. Finding a lost tree...:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Been snow on mine for 2 days, so they must be dead to. :D But I do see a glimmer of life, some flowers coming out on the one aspen in the back yard and the red maple. So I guess they have not given up the ghost yet. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I found another batch of dead ones, today.  This is the worst that I have ever seen it.  Maybe this year there will be enough rain to keep the trees alive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Its sad to hear of all the trees dying from lack of moisture, if it is so bad, how is all the wells doing? There must be some that have dried up ???  Sure aint good when you run out of drinking water :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!