iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Miller Falls Boring Machine

Started by TimFromNB, September 29, 2019, 02:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimFromNB

Hi all, I came across a boring machine locally. It is a Millers Falls with the metal angled braces. Looks in decent condition but the wooden base it quite weathered.

Seller is asking $350 CAD which works out to roughly $260 USD.

Just wondering what these typically go for.

Thanks!

Dave Shepard

$600-$900 USD in good condition. Deduct for a new base.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

The most important thing I look at is the gears.  Are they in good shape?  How much slop is in the shafts?  Slop in the shafts will cause the gears to not mesh correctly and eventually break teeth or wear them irregularly.  If the shafts are kept in correct alignment, the gears should not wear or break teeth.  If the gears are in good shape and it turns fine, then it's a good deal.  Building a new base is minor potatoes.  In good shape as dave says 600-900 us.  With problems like gears $150-$300 US.  The problem is nobody makes replacement gears.  You're very unlikely to find a "parts machine" with good gears as that's usually why it's a parts machine.  I hope to have gears made in a few years, but it's an expensive undertaking. I also want to have new chucks/shafts made.  

Cracks or damage in castings can be repaired.  I've used a company that does an awesome job of spray welding.  and you can't tell it was broken after.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

TimFromNB

Thanks for the info! Now I know what to look for.

Brad_bb

If the gears are in good enough shape, but there's slop in the shafts, you could have the shafts machined and the frame bored for sleeve bearings.  That is what I want to do to the frames I have.  Bore them for replaceable sleeve bearings.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!