iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodman

Cut 138 WRC cookies on Saturday for my Daughter's wedding this August.

Started with 6 × 2' x 11 to 12" rounds

Dropped the saw head 3/4 each time & ended up with a 6/4 on the bottom  

Stacked & stickered. Hoping to dry them slow in my shop to help with the checking

Cartwright

Pa, that's some beautiful mineral in that poplar!! Wish I had some with mineral in it. It don't sell good commercially but I'm sure I could find a home for it locally!!  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Eg 200 twin blade edger 25hp gas
Volvo L30 compact  wheel loader
Ford CL65 skid steer
'09 F250 Super Duty Powerstroke 
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

richhiway

Went to Woodmizer Northeast in Hannibal, NY last Friday for the training day. This is a LT40 Wide, Diesel. Quarter sawing demo.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

doc henderson

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 10, 2019, 03:15:52 PM
Quote from: Jeff on June 10, 2019, 12:11:50 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on June 04, 2019, 10:01:00 PM
the lobulations .
Is that a converted medical term? I'd never heard it related to wood but i like it!
I like it.  Maybe put it in the FF Dictionary :P
it is a "coveted" medical term like lobes of the lung, but i have heard it used r.e. bark inclusions near the roots, so the wood bulges out, and there is a cleavage of bark going in.  i guess i could resort to playboy terminology  :D :D :D , but i will stick with the medicinal terms, thank you!!!  @Jeff   @Magicman .  @busenitzcww , i see that a lot in Elm, and if you have ever seen the wood with the bark off, there are often lots of little (I have to watch my terminology)  "teets",   :) :) :) on the outside of the wood, and sort of in the same pattern and i assume they are related.  pics to follow
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

elm planned un-finished.  

the above is smooth, next is sapwood from an elm tree

the next is the other side of the sapwood showing the traditional elm color but the "teets"  show through.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

@Rodman ,  those look great and nicely stacked.  you may want to slow it more, with some shade cloth or a sheet over it, but take it off each day.  if they split, you may have to soak new ones in denatured alcohol to displace water, and i have also dried them in a box.  cedar is more forgiving than others.  and if you want rustic, a few splits may just fit the bill.  good luck.

WDH

I believe what you are seeing in the elm are stem sprouts from buds in the bark.  These are called epicormic sprouts.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

busenitzcww

Yeah I've seen those mini burls on the sides of elm trees, but this trunk didn't seem to have those??.

Southside

Reminds me of what you would see under maple bark as an indication of birds-eye in the lumber.  Never knew what actually caused it other than you were more likely to find it where Maple and Hemlock grew together.  Same epicormic sprouts?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

PA_Walnut, that is some sick color.  Will that color remain after it's dry and you put a finish on?  Or will it oxidize and just turn brown?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

A neighbor wanted to build a picnic table so I went out to my lot and sawed 3 RO logs to get her order plus some stock off the side. The first thing I had to do was address a yellow jacket nest inside the frame about midway of the mill that had been built since I parked it there several weeks ago. I guess there were a couple dozen very angry yellow jackets flying around. I could not see the nest but sprayed it good with hornet spray till they quit coming out.  When finished I called my neighbor took her order to her. She only lives half a mile up the road. Was 76 bf and we laid it out to be sure we had all the pieces. It will be a really heavy table if she uses it all as planned. The top will be 32" wide and 8' long and I had her 4 very pretty mostly quartersawn boards which should be a really nice top. I got home and blew the sawdust out of the mill and covered it for the night at dusk and parked the trailer with the rest of the lumber in the dark.

I sawed 3 stock logs about this sized. Re-bucked to 8'6" and had a 4'-6' short left over to cut for bench legs and stock. The logs have been down over a year and a half so the sapwood is very punky but the hearts are sound.

Kind of hard to see the remaining stock in the dark. I'll stack and sticker it in the morning.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

So from earlier in the thread, did anyone identify what causes birds eye ? Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jeff

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 12, 2019, 09:03:12 AM
So from earlier in the thread, did anyone identify what causes birds eye ? Rob
Unless there are new studies, everything I've ever read states the exact cause of birdseye is not known.
https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rp/rp_nc317.pdf
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tule peak timber

Thanks.I'm working with some pine right now (Canary Island) that is loaded with birds eye and there is no outward indication looking at the bark.Weird....

Barney67

Still sawing 8x8's for SIL's pole barn, good news though, he only needs them 22' now and we can do that without the extra monkeying around. ;D

This knotty log was 26" on the big end and at 22' long was all my mill wanted and more than my tractor wanted, my FEL is rated at 3200 lbs and would only lift it a foot off the ground, had to use ramps to get it high enough to load on the mill.

A couple logs had bonus materials.

In addition to 14' and 16' 2x6's, we cut a good bit of various width 2x's 22 feet long, not sure what he's doing with these, cut list has been a little fuzzy.

Only 2 more to go, should be easy though, these logs are clear, straight and moderately sized.

EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

thecfarm

Quote from: PA_Walnut on June 10, 2019, 05:00:06 PM
Haven't posted in a while, but been busy. This HUGE rainbow poplar is kinda mind-blowing material.
Slabs are 42-48" wide! Single board bar tops, tables, or islands  :o

Have another one, almost 20" larger ! :o Oh, my aching back!  :-\ :'(

Did you hear me say WOW!!!! :o :o That is some mighty fine looking wood!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Good job you did.  Barney67  8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Darrel

I'm getting ready to build a cabin. Today I sliced some flooring planks from western juniper. 

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

tule peak timber

Crossroads

That will make a nice floor!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

btulloh

I wish I had some of that for a cabin floor. Mighty nice looking. No juniper around here.
HM126

logbyr

Super cherry.     22" wide boards.   Sawed clear all way to the heart.    Nice figure and perfect structure.   

WV Sawmiller

I loaded up and left about 6:00 am for a 42.5 mile commute. The client had gotten my info from a flea market visit last year from a friend and neighbor. He turned out to be a retired shop teacher. He met me at the designated rendezvous point and led me up several winding county roads to the site. He suggested setting up a couple hundred yards away and he would bring the logs to me with his neighbors big New Holland tractor. I looked at the site and said it was fine. I pulled in and jacked the lower side wheel up on 3 - 1X6's and we were ready to go. The job consisted of about 15-16 8' hemlock logs for 2X4's. He was agreeable to a a few 2X6's when the flitch would not make 2 - 2X4s and I salvaged about 80 bf of 4/4 side lumber. There was one big red oak that yielded 450 bf of live edge 6/4 and 8/4 slabs up to 20+ inches wide. They fed me lunch and had 5 different neighbors stop by and all but one old man helped. They were a very friendly bunch and really did keep the lumber moving and the neatest slab pile I have seen in years. The lumber was being stacked on a big dump trailer. At the end of the day we were a hot and tired bunch but the customer said he did not remember when he had had enjoyed himself as much. That really makes it worthwhile plus the look on the lady's face when I scraped the sawdust off and wet a wide 6/4 LE slab she had earmarked for counters in her house. I was finished and home with the mill unloaded and unloading equipment by 7:00 pm.

About 15 Hemlock logs 8' long and 12-20 inches. 3 RO logs from 8-12 long a the butt flare on the big one was about 30" down to 20-22 on the SE.

All downhill. Just chocked one end and rolled till pointed at the loading arms and rails on the mill and gravity did the rest. Non-loading side of the mill raised 3".

Loaded on a heavy duty dump trailer. 19 2X4's wide. Days total including the 4/4 side lumber in the far right about 1630 bf. 6 operating hours on the mill. One tank of gas. I think 4 blades including the one where I hit the clamp. One neighbor responded to that as "Wow, 30 seconds to change a blade. That's fast." I had never thought people would recognize the design features like that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!