iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burl wood table id

Started by Vanduve, July 14, 2019, 08:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanduve

3-4 pieces of burl coffee table base. I purchased it to go with a redwood slice we just finished but at home it doesn't match. I'd like to add a finish to bring some of the reds out but it helps to know what I'm working with! 

thecfarm

Looking forward to see that finished off.
Get your location in your profile. That will help with the ID some. I suppose you bought that from a local guy?  Not something that could be from 1000 miles away? Overseas even?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

Red aniline dye would be the best bet. That and a similar finish as the the top. I'd find a little place out of sight to test it. Nice piece.
HM126

btulloh

I think a little bit of red highlight will bring it around when it has the same sheen as the top.  What is the finish coat on the top?  Lacquer?  That would be my choice for the base.  A tone spray could be used to add some highlights just before a top coat.  

Interesting piece.  Nice dog.
HM126

Vanduve

Quote from: thecfarm on July 14, 2019, 09:16:47 PM
Looking forward to see that finished off.
Get your location in your profile. That will help with the ID some. I suppose you bought that from a local guy?  Not something that could be from 1000 miles away? Overseas even?

I suppose overseas is a possibility. I am in  Southern California but I got from a non-English speaking Buddist on Craigslist.  He didn't know what wood it was, other than old and he had it for a long time. Specifically, his listing called it "junk" I still had to pay for it though! 
Quote from: btulloh on July 15, 2019, 11:32:24 AM
I think a little bit of red highlight will bring it around when it has the same sheen as the top.  What is the finish coat on the top?  Lacquer?  That would be my choice for the base.  A tone spray could be used to add some highlights just before a top coat.  

Interesting piece.  Nice dog.
Yes, that is what I hoping. Just in wiping with mineral spirits the red comes up. Due to the multi-facited surface of the base and the properties of epoxy, I'm not comfortable using the same finish as the top. Lacquer maybe the best option. 
Quote from: btulloh on July 14, 2019, 10:16:42 PM
Red aniline dye would be the best bet. That and a similar finish as the the top. I'd find a little place out of sight to test it. Nice piece.
I will test it. I've been working (testing) on the underside just trying to get a feel of what I'm working with. The gold looking word is hard like pine and the red areas are soft like redwood and unless I am missing a joint, it appears to be on the same piece

Thank You Sponsors!