iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Saw

Started by Good Feller, August 29, 2008, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

I'm wanting to get a gas pole saw.  Any recommendations?  I'd like one with a 10-14" bar.  I'm going to use it for my forestry business.  I want something good,,, no junk.  Thank you. 
Good Feller

beenthere

I've had excellent service from my Stihl HT75
Not sure that model is still available, but it's never let me down.

Go to a dealer you like to work with, as there are other good brands, I'm sure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

The ht75 is no longer made. Stihl has the ht101 and the ht131. The 131 is a little stronger, a little heavier and about $50 more expensive. They are the '4-mix' technology, a 4 stroke motor design that uses mix gas like a 2 stroke. The valves need to be adjusted at about 150 hours. They don't rev as high but they have more torque.

If you're going to use this professionally, don't even bother thinking about anything but the Stihls. Nobody else comes close as far as the power polesaws are concerned. Call up the 20 biggest tree services in your area and ask them which brand/ model they use. At least 19 of them will say "Stihl".

And I'm not just a Stihl cheerleader. The only Stihls I own are the HT101 and a few MS200Ts. All my other saws are Husqvarnas, two 346XPs, three 372XPs and a 395XP.

WDH

Most people in the logging woods around here use Stihl pole saws to trim their trucks loads before hauling.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rebocardo

> If you're going to use this professionally, don't even bother thinking
> about anything but the Stihls.

I agree, I don't own one because I really can't justify the cost and one of my main uses is for cutting free blown over trees where I want to stand 12 feet away and take the chance on killing the saw instead of me.

I have borrowed various gas powered pole saws. The Stihl was the heaviest and the best. The aluminum pole feels very solid when you are using it.

liketocut

I have only used (2 years) Stihl HT101.
I think it's worth every penny. I'm no pro,
between Dad and I we have just over 600 acres
of fence and field edges to keep trimmed
Cuts good and starts easy, cold or hot.

Al_Smith

The HT 75 is longer being made,as was already said . Coincidently ,just a week or so ago I worked on one with a bend shaft,something quite common on these things and a real challange to repair I might add .

My personal pole saw is an inexpensive Poulan .While it's not nearly the quality of a Stihl it does just fine for the stuff I do .Further more you can buy about 3 of these these things for the price of just one Stihl . It only has an 8 or 10 inch bar though but that will get just about anything short of lopping a 12 inch  limb from a big oak which you wouldn't normally do with a pole saw any way .

olyman

i just bought a like new ht75---the reason i bought a stihl--because it has the longest extension--almost 12 foot--the others dont---and im not a stihl person--but you got to do what you got to do------

thecfarm

I was kinda looking for one I think last year.The one I wanted was a removable power unit so I would not have to buy a bunch of motors too.Stihl was the only one that offered this feature.I should say that I felt was worth it to look at.Probaly more  by now do this.One comes up with an good idea and they all copy it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

The Poulan is 12 feet also but it's not adjustable ,you get all 12 at once . Like I said though it's not nearly the quality of the Stihl but then it doesn't cost as much either .It all depends on what you want I guess

sawguy21

The Kombi system thecfarm mentioned is increasingly popular. The only downside is lack of reach. It is not telescoping although a 3 foot extension is available.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cheyenne

check out the husky it will reach out 16' and the balance is great & cuts like a dream runs about $550 great for working in blowdowns & limbing. cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

D._Frederick

I  have a fixed shaft Husqy that is a pleasure to use, it has plenty of power to get a 5inch limb. I have had nothing but problems with the bar oiler, cost me $80 to replace the pump. It had a valve in it that would not work and I could not take it apart to clean.

uwharrie

Quote from: Good Feller on August 29, 2008, 11:30:57 AM
I'm wanting to get a gas pole saw.  Any recommendations?  I'd like one with a 10-14" bar.  I'm going to use it for my forestry business.  I want something good,,, no junk.  Thank you. 

I , just like most of the others would recommend the Stihl HT131. It has plently of power and it's priced right. The HT131 has a more powerful engine than the HT101 for only 50 bucks more. 

sawguy21

The HT131 also has an extra bearing in the tube to prevent the shaft from whipping at full extension. A number of our customers run the Kombi hedge trimmer attachment on it (with the short shaft removed) and it works well. There were shaft failures on the HT101 when used this way because of vibration.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

olyman

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 01, 2008, 12:19:54 AM
The HT131 also has an extra bearing in the tube to prevent the shaft from whipping at full extension. A number of our customers run the Kombi hedge trimmer attachment on it (with the short shaft removed) and it works well. There were shaft failures on the HT101 when used this way because of vibration.
ok, so heres the question---can that bearing be mounted in the ht75 i just bought??? ---as i dont need a shaft failure in mine---as i know stihl parts get mighty expensive---

Al_Smith

Quote from: olyman on September 01, 2008, 08:05:18 AM

ok, so heres the question---can that bearing be mounted in the ht75 i just bought??? ---as i dont need a shaft failure in mine---as i know stihl parts get mighty expensive---
[/quote] The HT 75 uses a kind of plastic tube on the upper portion on the shaftway .That part of the shafting is round .The lower section is splined and runs in three bearings .The center one is floating ,held on center by two counter opposing springs .

According to the local Stihl dealer it costs about as much to replace the shafts and tubing as it would to buy a new unit .This is why I straightened out my buddys saw for him ,at least it works now .

Good Feller

So what is the procedure when you get the bar pinched 16ft off the ground???  I don't have a ladder that tall or a boom truck,,,, hence why I'm wanting a pole saw in the first place. 

I like Al Smith's logic.  I could buy 3 poulans for the price of one Stihl.  An 8 inch bar should cut through most situations.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to cut 12 inch limbs 16ft off the ground anyways.  $500-$600 bucks for a pole saw is a big hit to the wallet.  If one poulan takes a crap you have 2 more as back up.  Nobody likes poulan but my smallest chainsaw is a poulan woodshark and I like it.  I keep it cleaned up and maintained,,, it is a good saw for the price.  I'm leaning towards the poulan. 
Good Feller

Rocky_J

In that case get the Poulan. That isn't what you asked for in your initial post. You said you wanted something of high quality, no junk. You asked for something with a 10-14" bar. The Stihl models are high quality, no junk, with a 12" bar. But you gotta pay for them. If you want cheap, then go buy whatever they sell at Home Depot. The clerks there can assist you.  ;)

This is why I quit offering saw advice here 3 years ago. Looks like it's time for me to quit posting again.

cheyenne

in your original post you said no junk. now your saying i can buy 3 pieces of junk for the price of quality & safty. I have the perfect solution for you. GET A BEAVER & A WOODPECKER                       

beenthere

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 01, 2008, 10:39:08 AM
In that case get the Poulan. That isn't what you asked for in your initial post. You said you wanted something of high quality, no junk. You asked for something with a 10-14" bar. The Stihl models are high quality, no junk, with a 12" bar. But you gotta pay for them. If you want cheap, then go buy whatever they sell at Home Depot. The clerks there can assist you.  ;)

This is why I quit offering saw advice here 3 years ago. Looks like it's time for me to quit posting again.

I don't get upset when someone doesn't take my advice, or my opinion on the forum. It is just that...and no more. Raising a question like Good Feller did, with some initial idea of his intentions was helpful in directing the comments he received. However, some of the comments made sense...3 cheap ones for the price of one expensive, possibly higher quality one. It does make one think a bit more about the decision Good Feller faces.
I think the thought that a pole saw can get pinched in a cut 16 ft off the ground is a very valid one...as it does happen and with only one power pole saw, it means getting the long hand pole saw out and relieving the pinched bar. That has worked for me, a few times.
I figure if my advice or suggestion isn't taken, it is not my fault. But if it is at least considered in the final decision, that is good enough for me.
This place is great for sharing ideas from so many, and likely Rocky_J's ideas are read by many others (now, and into the future) and helps everyone make their decisions regards the subject. I don't take Good Fellers decision personally.  It's his money  ;D ;D 8)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmilllawyer

And here I thought the purpose of the forum was for the individual to make the most intelligent and informed decision possible considering that person's resources and whether they are of limited or unlimited nature. I agree with Beenthere, not everyone can, will, or should purchase a professional quality tool. Different strokes, different folks, that's all. If soneone does not take my advice that's fine sometimes it is best they ask and then make their own call.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

WDH

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on September 01, 2008, 03:19:41 PM
I agree with Beenthere, not everyone can, will, or should purchase a professional quality tool.

I also agree 100% with this assessment.  The incidental user may never get the quality out of a tool unless they use it frequently. 

However, if you do use a tool like a chainsaw or pole saw or brush saw frequently, the poor quality will not hold up with hard and heavy use, and you (or is it just me) will become frustrated, spending too much time working on the tool or taking it to the repair shop and not getting your work done. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rocky_J

I also agree that not everybody needs the best tool on the market. But when somebody comes on here and says they want a quality tool, no junk, and it will be used commercially and then turns around and rejects all the good advice to buy junk, then it feels like I'm wasting my time even trying to answer the question or offer my advice. If you want cheap, then ask about cheap and I won't bother trying to steer you towards the best, most expensive tool.

cheyenne

if this person is in the forestry business as they state and they came on my property with junk they would get my boot up there rump. they won't be in business long because the cheap junk will kill someone. ROCKY J is right and more to the point! in the words of smartest man ever knowN.------doing the same thing over & over & over again is the hieght of stupidity. ALBERT EINSTIEN         (over & over & over again is cheap junk) POULAN                                                                             CHEYENNE             

Thank You Sponsors!