iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Traverse city area homemade mill ?

Started by coyotebait, September 15, 2013, 10:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotebait

Looking to build a medium size Band saw mill. would like to stop over and get some closeup ideas.
like width of track and size of carriage. Between wheels,  thanks from Frankfort.
Ken

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF CoyoteBait

I highly recommend these folks for parts and help unless your goal is to build it from scratch.
http://www.linnlumber.com/

Best
DGDrls

Corley5

I bought Fla._Deadheader's Woodmizer clone.  I'm in the process of getting trucking arranged to get it from Fla to N. Mi.  The trucker is busy wrapping up his haying season and isn't getting it hauled  :)  I'm North of Gaylord in Wolverine about 90 miles from TC.  When I get it here, whenever that might be, you're more than welcome to come check it out.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WmFritz

I built mine off the Linn Lumber design. It'll handle a 30" log  x 16.5' long on 20' of track. If you get down Saginaw way, you can take a look. I think you'd do well to take a look at Corley5's too.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

bandmiller2

Yote, best to copy a commercially built mill rather than copy others mistakes.You get out what you put in if you take the time and care you can build a mill that will serve your needs well and give you alot  of satisfaction.Their is scads of information on this forum. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bigbo1234

I'm in Frankfort as well, I have a tk1600. If you want to see it, let me know.
Bowen

thecfarm

coyotebait,I always say build it longer. I brought a mill to cut 20 foot. Never have,yet. But what I did not know was that gave me more room to put a log on,I have 4 feet to play with instead of a few inches with a 16 foot log. No need to be real careful about where a 16 foot log goes on. Also allows me to get the head out of my way to remove lumber. Good luck with your build.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

I agree with thecfarm 100%. When I bought my mill to get the 10 foot it would cut you had about 2 inches before and after the cut. When I built the new track I went with 20 foot of track. What ever method that you move a log you simply need the room for error, plus it saves bunches of time. I figure any time that the log isn't secured is a chance to get hurt.

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!