iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber prices

Started by Gorbster, October 11, 2011, 12:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorbster

Waht is the best way to keep current on going lumber prices in my area, central and southeastern Ohio?
Wood-Mizer LT40 HD since 2004, Logs To Heirlooms.
Custom and consignment furniture, using YOUR tree, my saw, and my woodworking skills. The tree your grandfather planted and your kids climbed in can become your grandchild's bedroom furniture or your family kitchen table.

T Welsh

Try woodweb, look under lumber buying guide in the left hand side of the home page. also check your local retail sales, and see what they are getting and base your prices accordingly . Tim

Gorbster

Thanks for the woodweb site referral.  I like the chart that is available there by area of the country.  It will give me (and my potential customers) a good idea of current prices.  Very helpful.  I just don't have time to do a lot of personal shopping to establish fair and reasonable prices so I can use a list like this.  Thanks! :) 8)
Custom and consignment furniture, using YOUR tree, my saw, and my woodworking skills. The tree your grandfather planted and your kids climbed in can become your grandchild's bedroom furniture or your family kitchen table.

Kansas

I would be very careful of that chart. For instance they have walnut at 5.75 for FAS. I don't know anyone getting that, even retail, in 1000 bd ft lots. I have been buying it for considerably less. Same with red oak, over 2.00.  I think the last kiln dried red oak I bought was about 1.30, select and better. Those prices might be at some retail store that sells a few boards. But I don't think they reflect the real world. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those prices look way off base.

T Welsh

Quote from: Kansas on October 13, 2011, 09:09:18 AM
I would be very careful of that chart. Kansas, is dead on! prices will vary upon region,season,market ect. I do use it as a ball park guide line. its very simple( get as much for your lumber as possible) you can not eat it. if someone wants to buy x wood for a lower price only you can say yes or no. my woods sell them self,I do not gouge and I do not over price it! I want the customer to come back and buy more,that,s the key. Tim

Gorbster

I got a little excited when I saw those prices so thanks for grounding me in reality.  I'll take it with a grain of salt.  Like Tim said, I think I will need to do some personal shopping and see what some of the lumber mills in my area are charging.  Some things are just too simple and that chart sounds like one of those things.

woodsy

The word estimated is written in bold.  I would tread cautiously optimistic when using this chart as a guide but I have to say that the eastern prices are pretty darn close to those being sold in the northeast in retail settings.  A few may be a tad high and some seem too low, but overall I think it's a good estimated average of where one could start.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

SwampDonkey

4/4 Walnut and 8/4 cherry is around $6, select and better, at the local warehouse. Kilned and rough.

I can get hard maple for between $2 for 7 foot stuff up to $3.50 for 8+ foot, select and better. Got a load of maple yesterday, 530 feet for $1400 (includes 13% tax) included some 7 foot 4/4  for $2 and some stuff 10 foot 8/4 for $3.50. Random widths, kilned, rough. And everything else in between 8 and 10 foot (5/4 and 6/4).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red oaks lumber

is that u.s. or canadian currency?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

Canadian $$, but it's been pretty much par for quite awhile now within 3 cents.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!