iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant Tree hunting

Started by Dave Shepard, September 05, 2007, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

I told Casie about Tom's comment last night.  She assumed you brought up the leprechauns because she is short and redheaded ;D.  She didn't know I hadn't put any pictures of her up here! :D

fbelknap: I've heard of the sycamore before, but that's the first time I've seen pictures of it.  I bet it was quite a sight to behold in its heyday!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

backwoods sawyer

These are a couple of Myrtlewood specimens. I milled the 6' one on top and am looking at milling the 4 1/2 ' one on the bottom, they are by no means the largest in the area.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

celliott

There is a few old pines a mile or two away from the house, they blew down a few years ago, but there is one trunk still standing.  I am happy my dad took me out to see these 3 massive trees when I was younger, and got to see them standing.  I am making a guess, but I would say 3+ feet dbh.  There is also an old sugarbush nearby, with some very large old maples.  Its nice out today, I think I will put on the snowshoes, and hike out in the woods to measure them, and get some pics.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

The hike out was great, a nice cold winter day.  These trees stood along an old carriage road, which was used to supply a woollen mill at a nearby river in the late 1700's.  They are by far the oldest and biggest trees around.  A windstorm claimed them a few years ago, leaving 2 trunks standing, while someone tried to cut down the third.  After it was cut down, (which appeared to be quite the job) it was left.  Probably for a lack of a proper saw and equipment.  I measured the stump on the cut tree, and it was nearly 5 feet across.  To measure the other 2 trunks with my spencer tape, I had to wedge the tape under a piece of bark and walk around.  The two standing trunks each measured 60"DBH.  The largest trees I have seen.  for comparison, I am about 6'3, 180 lbs, and that snowshoe is about 3 feet long.  I can"t even imagine the lumber in one of these trees.  Sorry, couldnt get the whole trunk shots to fit in the uploader, and I'm not sure these pictures do the trees justice.  Enjoy.
Chris
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

backwoods sawyer

This old gray doug fir tree is dying and will be coming down soon.

The four trees on the right are old and gray, the tree on the left is a quarter there age and is green and growing steadly.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!