iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emperical Evidence That Yankee's can Cook Grits

Started by Ga_Boy, July 28, 2005, 07:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

Well, I know that I have not been posting much here lately, between the day time job and starting up my sawmill and kiln business it has been very busy.

I am working on standing up my kiln right now, got the heating tubing in the ground now getting ready to pour the salb for the wood stove.

But, here is why I am writing this.

Last week my daytime job took me to New Haven, Ct for a few days.  As it turns out I was with in an hours or so drive of the Global HQ of Log Rite and Timber Pro Division of Majisty Stables.

Well heck, you know what this means:  ROAD TRIP!   8) 8) 8) 8).

I spend Friday mid-day with Kevin touring his vast Empire.  One word   IMPRESSIVE!  Oh yes, Kevin thank you again for lunch, you have to give me your reciept for road kill varment.  It was great, tasted like chicken.  I guess the secret is how long you leave it on the engine exaust manifold?  Not to tough and stringy that way.

Next, I decide to venture furtrher into Yankee land, I decided well what the heck I am already this far North of the Masson-Dixon and I ain't got shot yet so I must be doing something right.

My next stop was Captians house.  Very nice location, he has got a whack O logs there.  Captian and Loranee invite me to dinner, and off we go.  They have real nice sit down places to eat up there, I guess they have indoor plumbing as well, cause Brendon, kept saying "dad I gotta go potty"  I never did see them leave the building, so I guess them Yankees have discovered indoor plumbing.  They even have electric lights up there as well.

As it turned out Captian was delivering a 10" WPF (much like mine) to a new customer on Saturday morning.  So, Captian and Loranee invites me to breakfast.  I thought they were pulling my leg when they said come on over around 7:30 8:00.  I said shoot I get up at 4:00 every day, well then they said breakfast is served at 6:30.  Shoot thems is my kinsda folks.  They asked me what I wanted, of course I said grits and eggs, what else is there?

So I show up at 6:30 and there Loranee is cooking them Grits that DanG gave Captian.  DanG, them were some good grits!

After we stuffed our bellys we go out side for a day of working on Swingers and cutting.  Captian was even nice enough to let me drive his 8" WPF, that is one sweet machine.

But the best tool o'l Captian has is that little Ingersol Rand back hoe.  I got the operate it and it is very nice, Captian said it will pick up 4,000 lbs.  Now that is a nice machine.

Captian trains the new mill owner and I pick up a few tricks myself.   I had so much fun I am looking to go back up in mid August.  It was nice and hot that day, I felt right at home with the heat and humidity, worked up a real nice sweat. 

Shoot, they even feed me grilled hamburgers for lunch and pizza for dinner.  Hey Captian, what kinda varment was that them burgers were made from?  Racoon or Groundhog?  They tasted a little like chicken.

Mark

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

moosehunter

:D :D
Sounds like you had a good time. Us northerners have had indoor plumbing sence the second tuesday of last week! It's great stuff!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DanG

That indoor plumbing sounds like a neat idea.  Wouldn't be surprised if it catches on. :D  Sounds like you timed your visit just right! 

It's good that Captain saved them grits for a special occasion.  They was the real McCoy!  They came off a real water-powered stone operated by one of the ag colleges in Ga.  I passed those out as a sorta gag gift for all the Yankees and Kiwis at Moultrie, but I think I'll get some of'em for myself next time. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

Now just to clear the record....we're just about out of grits, and I'm convinced real grits only come from Georgia.  Mark did not even complain about their preparation...he did use a lot of salt however.....

We had a famous time here at Majesty Stables.  Mark got some insight on how busy I am when he came down the driveway, yes most of them logs will be still here in August.

Now where did that bag of grits go??

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Murf

Northerners .......

Snow .........

Indoor plumbing ...............

Mystery solved ............  :)  :)  :)  :)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Jodi

:D :D :D

You know we don't really have grits where I live. All we've got is strawberries and spuds.  ::) :)

sawguy21

It's o.k. Jodi. Us Canucks aren't missing a thing :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Teri

Jodi

Pete J

Don't get us wrong. We don't mind visitors from the South.  It's just that we need things like indoor plumbing when you introduce us to foods like grits. Some of us have weaker stomachs. It must be the snowmelt water that we drink or something.

submarinesailor

Just remember, don't eat the yellow snow.

subsailor

Jodi

Thank You Sponsors!