iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodtek equipment?

Started by oakiemac, February 03, 2010, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Anyone had any experience with Woodtek planers? I'm looking at their 16" double sided planer used but I was looking for a little more info from previous owners.

I think Woodtek is the brand name from Woodworkersupply.com
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Hokiemill

Oakie, sorry, I don't have a woodtek planer but several years ago I bought some used woodtek equipment.  A 3hp shaper, an edge sander, and a 3hp dual bag dust collector.  They all probably come from the same factory as Jet, Grizzly, Delta, etc.  Everything has worked just fine and the money I spent on those used items was some of the best I've squeezed out of my wallet.

But I'm wondering if having a double sided planer is worth the premium.  $2400 vs a 15" grizzly single sided planer at under $1200 delivered.  Seems like a lot.  Especially since I'm not so sure about what planing both sides of a board at the same time does - both sides of the board will be made parallel at once, but will it make it flat?  I've never used a double sided planer so I'm not sure about this, but does it flatten the board like face-jointing? 

Back to the original issue - I like my Woodtek tools.  Oh, and I recently bought a midi lathe from them at a great price and shipping was really fast.

oakiemac

I agree that $2400 is too high for the little 16" planer but I found a used one fro $900. My thinking is that I could use it as a rough planer to plan both sides on one pass then send the boards to the finish planer. Not sure if this would be worth it or not, especially since the woodtek has only a 2hp and 3hp motor.
Just kicking around some different ideas. Right now I use a woodmaster 18" planer and I'm way under equiped. Takes forever to plane 3000bf of lumber. I need some faster/better/bigger equipment. ???
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

red oaks lumber

going with a 2 sided planer is the way to go if you are planning enough wood to justify it, if your doing custom planning then definetly. 2&3 hp. seems alittle small, my 18" has 15 & 18 hp, it eats wood like nobodies buisness.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Den Socling

Boy red oaks is right! 2 and 3HP just doesn't sound like enough power even used as a hit & miss.

oakiemac

Yeah I agree, it sounds like a toy.

Red Oaks-you have a double planer with a 15 and 18hp? I have been looking for a double but most seem to have huge 30 and 50hp motors on them.

Captain

I run a 20" Powermatic and a 15" Grizzly...simultaneously.  That was my answer to speeding up the process.  Lots of knives to sharpen, however  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!