iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor mount bushing replacement on Wood-Mizer LT40

Started by Bibbyman, June 09, 2001, 06:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We usually watch and maintain our two Wood-Mizer mills pretty good.  But last week Mary noted oil dripping out of our LT40HDG35 Super.  I took a look and the oil was coming out where the oil drain tube connected to the fitting on the engine.  The tube had been smashed against the motor frame.  No big problem.  I'd just drain the oil and cut the tube off a little bit and put it back on and put in new oil.  About half way done and I noted the reason why the tube had been crushed - the motor mount bushings were all squished out.

I got with Wood-Mizer and they sent me out some aluminum bushings.  The part number is 016380 for my mill.  Apparently they have found that the Wisconsin engine is too heavy for the rubber bushings.  At about $12  :o each, they are not cheep but I'd expect them to last.    Note that these bushings may not be what is listed in your owner's manual - you may have to ask for them.

You may want to keep an eye on your bushings and replace them before they go out and your down until you can get new ones.

If I did this right,  here are some pictures of the bushing swap.  A couple shows how I held the engine up while I changed the bushings out.  Worked out well.

http://www.cartogra.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=854965

Bibbyman

8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

bibbeyman your a genius!!!  I like the way you lifted the motor.  Those things aren't so heavy that they can't be man-handled but it's hard to block them so you don't lose a hand.

That rig will work in the woods.

It Looks like WoodMizer has come a long way in making those mounts accessible since my 1990 model.

I had to take the engine completely off and even then had problems getting my fat fingers in the tight quarters where the pivot took place.

My 24 horse Onan squished my rubber mounts twice and has done a pretty good job of squishing my new
plastic (?) mounts too. Wear on the mill in general makes it difficult to keep everthing lined up and I think that is hard on the mounts on an old machine.

I am interested in how you feel the aluminum mounts work.  Give it a little time.

jimrr

I also replaced mine with the new ones.  they work fine so far.   I also replaced the wisconson with a newer lighter engine with about 2/3 the power but it weighs about a third also ......... it should go up and down faster?
   My old bushings were so worn that when they did the previous engine swap the holes they drilled were far from being aligned on the base.   I don't recall how i did the swap with the wisconson on there but I don't recall it being too big a deal.
   the pics you sent never loaded. 

Magicman

Welcome jimrr to the Forestry Forum.  Did you realize that this topic is 20 years old?  Pictures are handled much differently now and broken links are a thing of the past.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jimrr

no,  I didn't !!!   but that's about my speed. 

Thank You Sponsors!